Windows 10: The item that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved in Windows 10

Discus and support The item that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]If out of the blues when you try to open a program, it throws the error message The item that this shortcut refers to has been changed or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Jul 15, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

The item that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved in Windows 10

The item that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved in Windows 10 The-item-WINWORD.EXE-that-this-shortcut-refers-to-has-been-changed-or-moved.jpg
    If out of the blues when you try to open a program, it throws the error message The item that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, then this post is intended to help you with solutions you can try to quickly resolve the issue. This problem can occur with WINWORD.EXE, Excel.exe, Chrome.exe, […]

This article The item that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Jul 15, 2021

2. the item openvpn-postinstall.exe that this item refers to has been changed or moved

Hi,

I have been using windows 7 earlier and was able to install openvpn-postinstall.exe file and run it successfully. Recently, I have migrated my computer to windows10. Eversince then i am facing issues installing this file. When i run the .exe file it throws
    me with an error : ( the item postinstall.exe that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved. So this shortcut will no longer work properly )

To work around i did the following

Item that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved

1. Right-click the shortcut and then click Properties

2. Click the General tab. ( it does not allow me to navigate here) it throws an error invalid location

The above document didnt help me resolve

Please guide me with this

Thanks,

Ateeq

<Moved from Windows Insider>

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

NuvizzAdmin, Jul 15, 2021
  3. In Windows 10 taskbar shortcuts all say "the item you selected is unavailable it might have been moved"

All the taskbar items and shortcuts from the start menu are unable to complete their links.

The phrase "the item you selected is unavailable it might have been moved, renamed, or removed. Do you want to remove it from the list".

The items have not been moved, nor renamed, nor removed. The list does update with recent items, but I can never get the short cut to work. I have tried to delete these shortcuts, but the "delete" does not delete them.

Any suggestions?

Gavin

gavinpetersmith, Jul 15, 2021
  4. The item that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved in Windows 10

Shortcut changed or moved.

I installed Riverpoint Writer, an add-in program that runs with Word, on my PC with Windows 10. When I open the desktop shortcut I get this message:

"The item 'Riverpoint.dot' that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved so this shortcut will no longer work properly."

I have deleted the shortcut, uninstalled the program and started over several times. I also downloaded registry cleaning software and scanned my computer. I still can't get a shortcut for this program to open. What is causing the problem and how can
    it be corrected?

LisaJohnson10, Jul 15, 2021
Thema:

The item that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved in Windows 10

1. The item that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - item shortcut refers

2. the item "AfterFX.exe" that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the item "AfterFX.exe" that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved.: My programs are all shortcuts, everytime i open it, it says the item has been changed or moved. I dont know what to do. I was working on my Ae project and i decided to call it a night and close the laptop, this morning i wanted to work on it only to find this error. Can...
  3. the item "AfterFX.exe" that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the item "AfterFX.exe" that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved.: My programs are all shortcuts, everytime i open it, it says the item has been changed or moved. I dont know what to do. I was working on my Ae project and i decided to call it a night and close the laptop, this morning i wanted to work on it only to find this error. Can...
  4. how to turn off prompt: "shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut...

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to turn off prompt: "shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut...: Sometimes a file may need to be replaced and when a user desktop contains a shortcut pointing to that file, and if the user then attempts to use that shortcut, he may see the prompt: "The item" filename.ext "that is shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this...
  5. how to turn off prompt: "shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to turn off prompt: "shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut...: Sometimes a file may need to be replaced and when a user desktop contains a shortcut pointing to that file, and if the user then attempts to use that shortcut, he may see the prompt: "The item" filename.ext "that is shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this...
  6. how to turn off prompt: "shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut...

7. The item that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The item that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no...: i recently installed winrar and whenever i try to open it, it comes up with that message. im not sure how to fix it and i have tried deleting and reinstalling winrar but it makes no difference and still comes up with the same issue, does anyone know how to fix it so i can...
  8. Shortcut Has been moved or changed

Shortcut Has been moved or changed: Whenever I download Stream Labs OBS and try to run it, it always says This shortcut has been moved or changed an will not run properly. I haven't moved or changed it at all....
  9. "Problem with shortcut"- this shortcut has been changed or moved so this shorcut will no...

"Problem with shortcut"- this shortcut has been changed or moved so this shorcut will no...: Any help would be greatly appreciated. Been playing a game for the past couple weeks and today i received an error message when i tried to open the desktop shortcut. "The item, that has this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer...
  10. The item that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The item that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no...: I was working on a word document. I saved and went to reopen when I received this error message. Is there any way to retrieve this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-item-that-this-shortcut-refers-to-has-been/91ca19b1-21a3-47ea-a9d8-2099c4bee19f"