Windows 10: the kernel power has initiated a shutdown

Discus and support the kernel power has initiated a shutdown in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have been getting this report from the Event Viewer the last couple of mornings when the computer should have been in sleep mode. Log Name:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by orealius, Sep 30, 2018.

1. orealius Win User

the kernel power has initiated a shutdown

Hi,

I have been getting this report from the Event Viewer the last couple of mornings when the computer should have been in sleep mode.

Log Name: System
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
    Date: 9/30/2018 12:26:23 AM
    Event ID: 109
    Task Category: (103)
    Level: Information
    Keywords: (70368744177664),(1024),(4)
    User: N/A
    Computer: DESKTOP-A8N9QOE
    Description:
    The kernel power manager has initiated a shutdown transition.

Shutdown Reason: Kernel API
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
    <EventID>109</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>4</Level>
    <Task>103</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000400000000404</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2018-09-30T07:26:23.829748200Z" />
    <EventRecordID>45233</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="848" ThreadID="852" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-A8N9QOE</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data Name="ShutdownActionType">4</Data>
    <Data Name="ShutdownEventCode">0</Data>
    <Data Name="ShutdownReason">5</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

:)

orealius, Sep 30, 2018

2. restart and kernel-power event

Hi,

The kernel power event ID 41 error occurs when the computer is shut down, or it restarts unexpectedly. When a computer that is running Windows starts, a check is performed to determine whether the computer was shut down cleanly. If the computer was not shut
    down cleanly, a Kernel Power Event 41 message is generated.

Try this, see if it works for you:

• Go to "Settings"
    • Select "System"
    • Select "Power and Sleep"
    • Select "Additional Power Settings"
    • Select "Choose what the power buttons do"
    • Select "Change settings currently available"
    • Ensure that "Turn on fast start up" is deselected (unticked)
    • Click on "Save Changes"

Restart your computer after performing the steps.

Let us know if the above steps resolved the issue.

Venancio Khu, Sep 30, 2018
  3. The kernel power manager has initiated a shutdown transition. Shutdown Reason: Button or Lid

Log Name: System

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power

Date: 3/30/2017 4:14:25 PM

Event ID: 109

Task Category: (103)

Level: Information

Keywords: (70368744177664),(1024),(4)

User: SYSTEM

Computer: DESKTOP-29J4BBK

Description:

The kernel power manager has initiated a shutdown transition.

Shutdown Reason: Button or Lid

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />

<EventID>109</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>4</Level>

<Task>103</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000400000000404</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-03-30T22:14:25.284174700Z" />

<EventRecordID>3264</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="10884" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>DESKTOP-29J4BBK</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="ShutdownActionType">6</Data>

<Data Name="ShutdownEventCode">16</Data>

<Data Name="ShutdownReason">0</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

I moved parts to a new PC case and then suddenly I get the random sleep and random shut downs. It happens at random, sometimes 1 hour later and sometimes 12 hours later. I tried everything I could think off but nothing seems to be fixing this issue. I
    thought maybe my new GTX 1060 was an issue and this is the response I received a few days ago. "The message means that you pushed the power or sleep button on the case to power off the PC. Check that your connections inside the case to the motherboard's power
    pins are secure, and if the board has a physical power button on it, that nothing is making contact with the button. Make sure that the button on the case isn't sticking, and that your keyboard doesn't have a power button that you might be hitting accidentally."
    I can tell you that I never pushed the buttons and I checked the power pins and they all seemed to be fine, so did I received a defective PC case? Please help, I am getting fed up.

DiabolicalJavi, Sep 30, 2018
  4. the kernel power has initiated a shutdown

Windows 10 shutdown power still light and fan still working

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that the laptop will not shutdown completely. We will help you.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps you.

• Remove all the externally connected devices and cables including the battery.
    • Hold the power button for about a minute and release the power button.
    • Connect only the power cable and power on the PC.
    • Check if the issue persists.
    Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Sep 30, 2018
Thema:

the kernel power has initiated a shutdown

1. the kernel power has initiated a shutdown - Similar Threads - kernel power has

2. Random Shutdowns Kernel-Power 4163

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random Shutdowns Kernel-Power 4163: Often now, going on for over a year my computer:Ryzen 5 5600xASUS X570i-Strix16Gb Ripjaw 4MSI 3060ti750W PSUhas been having random shutdowns, always with the same critical error in event viewer. I have tried MANY troubleshooting solutions including but not limited to:...
  3. Random Shutdowns Kernel-Power 4163

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random Shutdowns Kernel-Power 4163: Often now, going on for over a year my computer:Ryzen 5 5600xASUS X570i-Strix16Gb Ripjaw 4MSI 3060ti750W PSUhas been having random shutdowns, always with the same critical error in event viewer. I have tried MANY troubleshooting solutions including but not limited to:...
  4. Random Shutdowns Kernel-Power 4163

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. System Shutdown - Event41, Kernel-Power

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Shutdown - Event41, Kernel-Power: Hello Everyone,I am facing an issue with one of my servers ProLiant DL180 Gen10, running Windows Server 2016.It has recently crashed twice, and from the Event Viewer, I was not able to get much of details.Event 41,Kernel-PowerThe system has rebooted without cleanly shutting...
  6. System Shutdown - Event41, Kernel-Power

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Shutdown - Event41, Kernel-Power: Hello Everyone,I am facing an issue with one of my servers ProLiant DL180 Gen10, running Windows Server 2016.It has recently crashed twice, and from the Event Viewer, I was not able to get much of details.Event 41,Kernel-PowerThe system has rebooted without cleanly shutting...
  7. Windows 10 Random Shutdowns (Kernel Power 41)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Random Shutdowns (Kernel Power 41): Hi Reddit. As the title says, I've been experiencing sparse but very annoying episodes of my notebook shutting down without any previous warning. It acts exactly as if I had pressed the power button for too long, no BSOD, no glitching, just a sudden blackout. I use Lenovo,...
  8. The kernel power manager has initiated a shutdown transition. Shutdown Reason: Kernel API

The kernel power manager has initiated a shutdown transition. Shutdown Reason: Kernel API: Hi, so I left my laptop on while I was sleeping. When I wake up my laptop suddenly plays a video from YouTube. Strangely, my laptop shows the lock screen. I then checked the EventViewer and it had this event. What does it mean? And also i checked BlueScreenView and there's no...
  9. shutdown, Kernel-Power ID 41

shutdown, Kernel-Power ID 41: Hi! Hope you are all well and safe. My PC shutdowns randomly when I'm watching videos, and sometimes when I'm just working. I only use the PC to work and watch videos -- not YouTube, just Netflix or using VLC. I don't overclock, I don't play games. It is a work PC. I...
  10. Kernel-Power shutdown event ID 41 issue

Kernel-Power shutdown event ID 41 issue: What is causing the Kernel power event shutdown? happen 3-4x now... Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power Date: 7/20/2019 3:20:23 PM Event ID: 41 Task Category: (63) Level: Critical Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. The kernel power manager has initiated a shutdown transition.Shutdown Reason: Kernel API

2. shutdown reason: kernel api

3. kernel api shutdown reason

4. the kernel power manager has initiated a shutdown transition.,
  5. The kernel power manager has initiated a shutdown transition. Shutdown Reason: Kernel API,
  6. shutdown reason kernel api,
  7. kernel power manager has initiated a shutdown,
  8. the kernel power has initiated a shutdown,
  9. the kernel power manager has initiated a shutdown transition,
  10. kernel power shutdown windows 10,
  11. The kernel power manager has initiated a shutdown transition. Shutdown Reason: button or lid,
  12. shutdown reason kernel api 109,
  13. 0x8000400000000404,
  14. kernel api shutdown,
  15. unexpected shutdown kernel api