Windows 10: The keyboard shortcut to create a new folder stop working

Discus and support The keyboard shortcut to create a new folder stop working in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; On my Windows 10 home laptop (Dell XPS 13 9370), I always used to press control + shift + N to create a new folder. For some reason, that stopped... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/euphonicstru, Mar 22, 2020.

1. The keyboard shortcut to create a new folder stop working

On my Windows 10 home laptop (Dell XPS 13 9370), I always used to press control + shift + N to create a new folder. For some reason, that stopped working recently. It doesn't work on an external keyboard or on the laptop keyboard. I'm not sure why. Now I need to do right click > new folder every time I want to create a folder. This really slows me down because I make a lot of folders.

How can I restore this keyboard shortcut to its default behavior? Any ideas what might have caused the shortcut to stop working?

submitted by /u/euphonicstru
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/euphonicstru, Mar 22, 2020

2. creating new folder problem in windows 10 creator

Hi Gudiya,

The problem you've encountered in creating a folder could be caused by software or program conflict as the issue appeared a few days after installing the Windows 10 Creators update. For us to know if this only occurs when creating a new folder from the desktop,
    we suggest that you try creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut or from File Explorer. Please refer to the steps below:

Creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut.

• Click on the desktop.
    • Press CTRL + SHIFT + N.
    • A new folder should be created.

Creating a new folder from File Explorer.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Hover your mouse on the location where you want to create a new folder.
    • Right-click it, go to New > Folder.

In case the problem persists, then we suggest that you go ahead and perform a clean boot. Doing so will start your computer using minimal drivers to help us determine what conflict is causing the problem. Check out
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows for the detailed steps.

Let us know the result so we can further assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Mar 22, 2020
  3. gudiya#1 Win User
    creating new folder problem in windows 10 creator

Thanks, the step you mentioned

Click on the desktop.
    • Press CTRL + SHIFT + N.
    • A new folder should be created.
    • Creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut.

It's working for me. But my new folder option is not working anywhere not in desktop as well as not in file explorer. Whenever I am placing my cursor on new folder option, its first spinning for few seconds then goes to close the file
    explorer and refresh the desktop once.

gudiya#1, Mar 22, 2020
  4. The keyboard shortcut to create a new folder stop working

How to create a shortcut for a keyboard shortcut.

Hi Marcos,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are willing to create Keyboard shortcut on Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

I suggest you to follow the steps in the below Microsoft article to create
    a keyboard shortcut for an app.

Create keyboard shortcuts to open desktop apps

Note: The troubleshooting steps in the above link are meant for windows 8, however, you can use the same for windows 10 as well.

Refer below article for more information on Keyboard shortcuts.

Keyboard shortcuts

Please post back with above information and we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Vinodh_Kumar V, Mar 22, 2020
Thema:

The keyboard shortcut to create a new folder stop working

1. The keyboard shortcut to create a new folder stop working - Similar Threads - keyboard shortcut create

2. Windows 11 Can't Create New Folder. Creates A Shortcut Instead

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Can't Create New Folder. Creates A Shortcut Instead: For about 2 weeks now, whenever I try to create a new folder it instead creates a shortcut. I tried attaching two images to the post but it kept saying failed so I uploaded it to imgur instead.https://i.imgur.com/v5YKMBd.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/v2Ug8H6.pngAny help would be...
  3. Windows 11 Can't Create New Folder. Creates A Shortcut Instead

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Can't Create New Folder. Creates A Shortcut Instead: For about 2 weeks now, whenever I try to create a new folder it instead creates a shortcut. I tried attaching two images to the post but it kept saying failed so I uploaded it to imgur instead.https://i.imgur.com/v5YKMBd.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/v2Ug8H6.pngAny help would be...
  4. Windows11 New Folder is creating a shortcut instead

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows11 New Folder is creating a shortcut instead: Hi,I have Windows11 Home Version 10.0.22000 Build 22000 .When I try to create a new folder on a path that I have full permissions for , it is trying to create a shortcut instead :How can I fix this ? Many thanks in advance...
  5. Windows11 New Folder is creating a shortcut instead

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows11 New Folder is creating a shortcut instead: Hi,I have Windows11 Home Version 10.0.22000 Build 22000 .When I try to create a new folder on a path that I have full permissions for , it is trying to create a shortcut instead :How can I fix this ? Many thanks in advance...
  6. KEYBOARD SHORTCUT or Hotkey to a folder or drive not working

in Windows 10 Support
    KEYBOARD SHORTCUT or Hotkey to a folder or drive not working: Windows 10 offers it but I do not know the magic trick to make it actually work : [img] Right here windows is giving me hope that this is possible. but so far I have not been able to make it give me a shortcut to a folder. I need it to open it up in a manner that its...
  7. Right-click New Folder not working; Creates a Shortcut instead in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Right-click New Folder not working; Creates a Shortcut instead in Windows 10: [ATTACH]The easiest way to create a new folder, document, or text file is to […] This article Right-click New Folder not working; Creates a Shortcut instead in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. Keyboard Shortcuts Mysteriously Stop Working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard Shortcuts Mysteriously Stop Working: Ctrl + f and ctrl + d sometimes mysteriously stop working for me (I notice this in Edge/Google Docs). I have no idea what triggers this. At this point restarting the machine solves the problem, but it's bound to come back. Any ideas? submitted by /u/daygot [link]...
  9. OneNote 2016 Keyboard Shortcut Stopped Working

in Microsoft Office and 365
    OneNote 2016 Keyboard Shortcut Stopped Working: Hi Guys I use OneNote 2016 and one of my Keyboard shortcuts has stopped working. I use Ctrl + Alt + M to move items from my Inbox to other folders. For some reason it has stopped working all my other work !!! I have checked other apps to see if it conflicts but cannot find...
  10. Win X - Folders there but keyboard shortcuts not working.

in Windows 10 Support
    Win X - Folders there but keyboard shortcuts not working.: Hi everyone, forum newby here. I've searched high and low for a solution to this problem to no avail. I'm hoping someone on here can point me in the right direction without recourse to major surgery. I'm relatively PC literate but have only recently come to Win 8.1 and now...