Windows 10: The laptop screen is 'dead' and no USB power on boot

Discus and support The laptop screen is 'dead' and no USB power on boot in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Most of the times, I just 'sleep' the laptop. Yesterday, I 'slept' the laptop and didn't use all day. Today morning, tried to boot it, it felt like it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by crackhammer, Aug 22, 2021.

1. The laptop screen is 'dead' and no USB power on boot

Most of the times, I just 'sleep' the laptop. Yesterday, I 'slept' the laptop and didn't use all day. Today morning, tried to boot it, it felt like it did boot (fan running etc) but the screen remained dead (as in the screen didn't power up). There was no power to USB ports either. A quick googling led to many options. - I removed RAM modules (4GB x 2) one by one to see if there is any faulty RAM module. - Removed the battery and tried to 'reset' and used power cable to power up to see if anything changes. - Connected laptop to the TV to try to get screen 'working', no effect. I could not decide whether its the screen or anything else. (Since there is no USB power, I am not too sure if HDMI ports are live.) - Last option, was to check the CMOS battery. Opened up the laptop (Toshiba A505-6005) and found that the battery is soldered to the motherboard. I am not exactly well-versed with soldering so before I venture into it, is there anything else I can check for? Can anyone guess any other problem? Thanks in advance.

:)

crackhammer, Aug 22, 2021
  2. Brink Win User

Boot Surface Laptop to USB - no Volume button

Hello Jimmy, The laptop screen is 'dead' and no USB power on boot :)

This doesn't list the "Surface Laptop", but you might give it a try to see.

*Arrow Boot Microsoft Surface from a USB device

Otherwise, you should be able to use OPTION ONE below to boot from the USB from advanced startup.

*Arrow Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Brink, Aug 22, 2021
  3. Laptop with broken screen How much?

I would like suggestions and look in local stores. I dont wanna buy a laptop from someone online. Sorry. But could be a good idea if you asked him about the performance on older games. Gonna make a list ofall laptops people suggest me.

Remove the screen for space purpose here its small desk and if the screen is opened it will hide my 22 inches lcd

Eric_On_Web, Aug 22, 2021
  4. Megahertz Win User

The laptop screen is 'dead' and no USB power on boot

No boot from USB

As Kyhi mentioned, If you're booting from a USB drive, it doesn't matter what you have on your laptop drive.
    How are you pointing to boot from the USB drive, by BIOS priority or by boot menu during POST?
    Follow these steps to open the Startup menu when the computer is powered off.

1. Turn on the computer.
    2. Immediately press the Escape key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup Menu opens.
    3. Select the EFI USB drive

PS.: You can only boot as UEFI if the OS is 64 bits. Is your Linux on the USB drive 64 bits version?
    Is the USB drive formatted as Fat32?

Megahertz, Aug 22, 2021
Thema:

The laptop screen is 'dead' and no USB power on boot

1. The laptop screen is 'dead' and no USB power on boot - Similar Threads - laptop screen 'dead'

2. Laptop not booting, stuck in EFI Shell, is the eMMC dead?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop not booting, stuck in EFI Shell, is the eMMC dead?: Geobook 3 won't boot into Windows 10, stuck at EFI Shell version 2.60, don't know what to do. Searching the net indicates could be a HD problem but no HD here, just a tiny 32Gb eMMC. Can these just die? If so, how to tell? Other than it's not booting up. If it has failed,...
  3. Laptop not booting, stuck in EFI Shell, is the eMMC dead?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop not booting, stuck in EFI Shell, is the eMMC dead?: Geobook 3 won't boot into Windows 10, stuck at EFI Shell version 2.60, don't know what to do. Searching the net indicates could be a HD problem but no HD here, just a tiny 32Gb eMMC. Can these just die? If so, how to tell? Other than it's not booting up. If it has failed,...
  4. Fix dead power

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fix dead power: Apple Watch November 13 2023 8445 Al Rabat https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fix-dead-power/4f158a0c-8d6b-43c9-9a8e-49d50f798f8a
  5. Fix dead power

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fix dead power: Apple Watch November 13 2023 8445 Al Rabat https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fix-dead-power/4f158a0c-8d6b-43c9-9a8e-49d50f798f8a
  6. Dead Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dead Laptop: So I'm trying to fix my mother's laptop that just stopped working about 3 weeks ago. Whenever she tried to turn it on it just sat at the preparing automatic repair screen and didn't do anything. So I was going to reinstall windows, but my question is, do I need to install the...
  7. Laptop dead - wont turn on but power is okay

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop dead - wont turn on but power is okay: Hi there I have a HP MINI which doesnt turn on. When I connect it to the power or I insert the battere the power light goes on but as soon as I press the power button, the light goes off and nothing happens no sound and nothing on the screen. I believe it gas...
  8. Dead usb ports

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dead usb ports: My usb ports suddenly stopped working! All four on the front panel are dead and only two of ports in the are still alive. My only connection to the internet is through my cell phone hot spot but in order to do that requires a usb wireless adapter. See where I'm going with...
  9. dead laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    dead laptop: my laptop died ( a dell Inspiron 11) and i want to put it on my old computer. will the windows 10 licence carry over? or do i have to buy a new license? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dead-laptop/f2d47516-a2b7-4aa7-838e-bf1f8e4a4533"
  10. Is my PC dead? Power ON, NO Boot, NO BIOS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is my PC dead? Power ON, NO Boot, NO BIOS: Hi all, Is my old laptop dead? Recently my old Sony Vaio (VPCEA3S1E) has had booting problems. It powers on, the fan runs steady for about 5 seconds, after the 5 seconds the fan starts to speed up until my machine turns off completely. I am unable to get into my BIOS, my...