Windows 10: The last MS update broke my pc. How can I access the BIOS or enter WinRE mode from a black...

Discus and support The last MS update broke my pc. How can I access the BIOS or enter WinRE mode from a black... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Today a Windows pop up told me I had to reboot to install an update. Since I was about to take an online exam I just scheduled the reboot for later... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Evezz, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Evezz Win User

The last MS update broke my pc. How can I access the BIOS or enter WinRE mode from a black...

Today a Windows pop up told me I had to reboot to install an update. Since I was about to take an online exam I just scheduled the reboot for later today. 3min later my pc froze and It stayed frozen, so I decided to forceful shut it down suing the power button.

After trying to restart it all I get is the manufactures logo with some dots going in circles and then a black screen. I tried getting into WinRE mode but apparently I can't do that from boot. I tried booting bios but apparently I also need to run Windows 10 first.

I need to get that pc running right now but I don't know what to do!

Is there a BIOS boot option from the key board?

Here is my pc, or at least the data available on the Windows Account page

• [COLOR=rgba105, 105, 105, 1]Edition[/COLOR]Windows 10 Home
    • [COLOR=rgba105, 105, 105, 1]OS Build[/COLOR]10.0.19042.804
    • [COLOR=rgba105, 105, 105, 1]Serial number[/COLOR]NHQ28AA0017490ED703400
    • [COLOR=rgba105, 105, 105, 1]Graphic card[/COLOR]NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
    • [COLOR=rgba105, 105, 105, 1]Installed RAM[/COLOR]16 GB
    • [COLOR=rgba105, 105, 105, 1]Version[/COLOR]2009
    • [COLOR=rgba105, 105, 105, 1]System type[/COLOR]OSType64BitX64
    • [COLOR=rgba105, 105, 105, 1]Processor[/COLOR]IntelR CoreTM i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz

I'm increasingly getting more and more frustrated the MS. Their last update just bricked my pc and I'm not alone, apparently this is a massive issue, but they have done nothing to fix the issue or even mitigate the damage.

The constant updates, forcing my to have things like Cortana or Edge, which I find useless and creepy, constantly proselytizing their Office 365... I just need my pc to work, yet MS seems determined to making that as difficult as possible. Now their update broke my pc, made me waste half my work day and almost cost me a final exam.

:)

Evezz, Mar 10, 2021
  2. LBFarm Win User

Windows 10 won't enter Safe Mode from WinRE

None of these 3 ways to enter Safe Mode,

From Settings,

From the sign-in screen,

From a black or blank screen

have worked, the PC is stuck in WinRE.

LBFarm, Mar 10, 2021
  3. Unable to boot the PC stuck in WinRE mode

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand how difficult it can be when the PC doesn’t work the way it is supposed to. I appreciate your effort in trying to resolve the issue by performing troubleshooting steps. For better understanding of the issue, please
    respond to the questions below:

1. Are you aware of any changes being made to the PC?
    2. Do you receive any error code when you try to boot the PC normally?
    3. What are the troubleshooting steps you have tried?
    4. What is the error you receive while performing reset?
    5. What was the result of automatic repair?

Meanwhile, you can try removing any external devices connected to the PC and check if you are able to boot the PC.

However, I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and check if that helps.

Method 1:

I would suggest you to try booting the PC to safe mode and check if that helps.
    Refer the article
    Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10
    . If the PC is working fine in safe mode, perform a clean boot being in safe mode environment check.

Performing a clean boot will start the computer with minimal set of drivers and programs, to determine whether a background program is causing the issue. Some of the Startup programs will not load after performing a clean boot
    on the computer. However, that functionality will return when you reset the computer to start normally after finishing the troubleshooting.

To perform a clean boot on the computer refer to the article

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Note:
    Please refer the section Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting
    to boot the computer in to normal mode after troubleshooting.

Method 2:

Try troubleshooting startup issues. You can refer the article on

troubleshooting common startup issues
    and see if that helps.

Note: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive then chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be
    lost.

If you have an external hard drive, you can take the backup of the data by following the steps mentioned below.

1. Open command prompt window by following the article

troubleshooting common startup issues
    2. On the command prompt window type,
      notepad.exe and hit enter.
    3. Now click on File
      and click Open…
    4. On the Open file window, click on
      This PC
    5. Now navigate to the location
      C:\Users\UserName\
      select the folder that you want to backup to the external drive.

Note:
      To see all the files on the Open dialog box, change the
      files of type
      to All files.

6. Right click on the file/folder
      and select Send to and select the external hard drive.

If the issue persist, please get back to us with the result of troubleshooting steps to assist you further with the issue.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Mar 10, 2021
  4. The last MS update broke my pc. How can I access the BIOS or enter WinRE mode from a black...

Windows 10 update broke my computer?

One of the possible reasons why your PC fails to boot into normal mode are broken components on the boot configuration data of your system. To isolate your concern, we suggest that you perform the following steps to trigger Safe Mode through the Windows
    Recovery Environment (WinRE) option. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Improper shutdown process
    • Turn on your computer. When the Windows logo is visible, unplug the power source of your computer. Perform this step three times.
    • On the fourth time that you turn on your computer, just simply wait for the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) window to appear.
    • On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings and click Restart.
    • Once your computer restarts, you will see a list of options. Press the F4 key to start your computer in Safe Mode.

We also recommend that you perform a system restore after booting in safe mode. This option takes your PC back to an earlier point in time. Restoring won’t affect your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore
    point was made. To do this, follow the steps below:

• In the Search box, type Control Panel and press Enter.
    • On the upper-right window, under View by, click Category and select Large icons.
    • Search Control Panel for Recovery.
    • Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
    • Choose the restore point related to the problematic app, driver, or update, and then select Next > Finish.

Let us know if the solution above works for you.

Melowin Mar, Mar 10, 2021
Thema:

The last MS update broke my pc. How can I access the BIOS or enter WinRE mode from a black...

1. The last MS update broke my pc. How can I access the BIOS or enter WinRE mode from a black... - Similar Threads - last update broke

2. I updated my bios with lenovo vintage and I broke my bios

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I updated my bios with lenovo vintage and I broke my bios: a few moments ago I tried to update some drivers using lenovo vintage app from the Microsoft store and after my laptop restarted and when it booted back in it gave me blue screen with stop code : INACCESIBLE BOOT DEVICE. pls help?...
  3. I updated my bios with lenovo vintage and I broke my bios

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I updated my bios with lenovo vintage and I broke my bios: a few moments ago I tried to update some drivers using lenovo vintage app from the Microsoft store and after my laptop restarted and when it booted back in it gave me blue screen with stop code : INACCESIBLE BOOT DEVICE. pls help?...
  4. I updated my bios with lenovo vintage and I broke my bios

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How Do I Enter winRE With My PIN?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How Do I Enter winRE With My PIN?: So Im currently having an issue with my computer regarding a CRITICAL PROCESS DIED, and im trying to get into backup/restore my drive. The problem is that I never setup a password but instead PIN. How do I fix this?...
  6. Attempting to enter winRE broke my computer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Attempting to enter winRE broke my computer: My computer was stuck at the black loading screen after it bluescreened so I was advised to attempt to enter winRE by hard shutting down and restarting several times. After doing so three times the computer once again went to the black loading screen and then shut itself...
  7. Last update broke my laptop

Last update broke my laptop: Clicked update and restart. Screen said restating for 20 minutes then went black. Keys are all lit up, but the laptop is completely unresponsive. Asus tuf 505 laptop. Ideas?...
  8. Last Update broke my computer

Last Update broke my computer: Few days before I had updated my pc and was using it just fine, my pc started to show errors like missing dll files right after logging in. I reverted back to old update and tried to update again, latest update 1090 or something was stuck downloading at 0%. I then installed...
  9. Windows 10 won't enter Safe Mode from WinRE

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 won't enter Safe Mode from WinRE: My PC will only open into Windows Recovery Environment WinRE in spite of pressing Esc, F8, F11 & F12 and from WinRE will not open in Safe Mode. No matter what path and selections I make in WinRE it simply goes back to the beginning. The goal is to open in Safe Mode so I...
  10. How to enter safe mode in WINre ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to enter safe mode in WINre ?: I cannot enter safe mode by using WINre by using Startup Settings even though I have tried pressing 5 and F5 it keeps showing the error Critical Process Died...