Windows 10: The latest Windows 11 Security Update fails to install for some users

Discus and support The latest Windows 11 Security Update fails to install for some users in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft has just confirmed a Windows Update issue that affects the company's Windows 11 operating system. Some users may experience issues installing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Feb 29, 2024.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

The latest Windows 11 Security Update fails to install for some users

Microsoft has just confirmed a Windows Update issue that affects the company's Windows 11 operating system. Some users may experience issues installing the most recent security update for the operating system.

Microsoft released the security update on February 13, 2024 as part of its February 2024 Patch Day. The update, which has the ID KB5034765, is the most recent cumulative update for Windows 11 at the time of writing. It is offered for devices running Windows 11 version 22H2 and 23H2.

The update fixed 41 unique security issues in both operating system versions. Two of the issues are rated critical, which is the highest rating available. Apart from security fixes, the update moved the Copilot for Windows icon to the right side of the taskbar. The feature is rolling out gradually to all devices with the security update installed.

Microsoft did not list any known issues at the time for the update. The issue happens if the update is downloaded through Windows Update and also if it is downloaded manually. Deleting downloaded Windows Update files does not resolve it.

KB5034765: the issue

The installation of the update may fail on Windows 11 devices. Microsoft says that users may notice that the update fails at exactly 96% and that users may get the error message "Something didn’t go as planned. No need to worry – undoing changes. Please keep your computer on" on the screen.

Windows administrators who check the Event Log of the system may see the error code 0x800F0922 there, which confirms it.

Microsoft says that deleting the hidden folder C:\$WinREAgent on the Windows device fixes the issue. Administrators may need to restart the operating system to complete the deletion of the folder.

The cumulative security update should install without the issue afterwards. Administrators may need to open Settings > Windows Update to install it again. It may be necessary to activate the "check for updates" button there to reveal it again.

The Windows Release Health website offers no explanation on the issue. While it is clear that the folder C:\$WinREAgent plays a role, it is unclear which.

Deleting the $WinREAgent is a common remedy for issues with specific updates for Windows. The folder contains temporary files that are created as part of update processes on Windows devices. The removal is temporary only, as it will be recreated the next time updates are installed on the device.

Closing Words

Microsoft says that it is working on a permanent solution for the issue. Affected Windows 11 users may want to follow Microsoft's advice and delete the hidden system folder before retrying the installation of the update on the device.

Now You: did you run into update issues recently?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post The latest Windows 11 Security Update fails to install for some users appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Feb 29, 2024
Thema:

The latest Windows 11 Security Update fails to install for some users

1. The latest Windows 11 Security Update fails to install for some users - Similar Threads - latest Security Update

2. Windows: latest security update is causing huge issues for some users

in Windows 10 News
    Windows: latest security update is causing huge issues for some users: If you have installed the June 2024 security updates for Windows and managed to boot into the desktop after the required restart, congratulations. Microsoft has just confirmed a new known issue that is affecting some customers. Here are the details: The issue affects the...
  3. can't install the latest security update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't install the latest security update: There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: 0x80070643. trying to install 2024-01 Security Update for Windows 10 Version 22H2 for x64-based...
  4. latest update fails to install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    latest update fails to install: 2023-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5029263 2 I've tried this 8 times, fails with 'Failed to install 0x8007000d/0x80248007'...
  5. latest update fails to install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    latest update fails to install: 2023-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5029263 2 I've tried this 8 times, fails with 'Failed to install 0x8007000d/0x80248007'...
  6. Why windows11 failed to install latest security update?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why windows11 failed to install latest security update?: I got a problem when I tried to install latest quality update that release by MS this month and it failed to install. It shows failure reason: "Failed to install on yyyy/mm/dd - 0xe0000100", I did search on google and I tried some solutions incl SFC scan/install patch...
  7. Why windows11 failed to install latest security update?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why windows11 failed to install latest security update?: I got a problem when I tried to install latest quality update that release by MS this month and it failed to install. It shows failure reason: "Failed to install on yyyy/mm/dd - 0xe0000100", I did search on google and I tried some solutions incl SFC scan/install patch...
  8. Windows 10 failing to install latest update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 failing to install latest update: I'm currently on Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041 and have had zero issues with my PC over the years, until now. Windows Update downloads the updates and advises the need to restart my PC, I run the restart and get met with the error "We couldn't install updates, undoing...
  9. Some updates fail to install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Some updates fail to install: Many of my windows 10 updates are failing to install. Some do, some don't. What can I do about this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/some-updates-fail-to-install/28b2f2ae-eda5-4d2d-b768-1faa06f73c12
  10. Windows Update Failed To Install Latest Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update Failed To Install Latest Update: Hello everyone I have a problem updating my windows to version 1703 (Currently on 1607). What happened was on my PC there was an update available and decided to update after it restarted I got the screen "working on updates" So I decided to leave it there for a while and did...