Windows 10: The local OneDrive folder, the PC Documents folder, OneDrive backup and sync. How does it...

Discus and support The local OneDrive folder, the PC Documents folder, OneDrive backup and sync. How does it... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I was recently trying to clear some space on my work laptop. I realized I wasn't really using the OneDrive folders on my sidebar so without really... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Adhiti Raman Thothathri, Aug 5, 2022.

1. The local OneDrive folder, the PC Documents folder, OneDrive backup and sync. How does it...

I was recently trying to clear some space on my work laptop. I realized I wasn't really using the OneDrive folders on my sidebar so without really understanding what I was doing I unsynced it. It didn't really clear any space I didn't expect it to since as far as I knew, I hadn't actually saved anything on there. I clicked on Documents on my PC and saw that about 2/3rds of my files and folders were missing! After panicking for a good while, I went and looked at my OneDrive folder online. Some of my missing files were there online but not all of them. I re-synced OneDrive and went to the docu

:)

Adhiti Raman Thothathri, Aug 5, 2022

2. Why I have TWO Documents folders?

ok so lemme start off my saying i recently wiped my system and installed windows 10
    and i noticed even more recently that i seem to have TWO documents folders...
    i have one that has nothing that it should in it and the other somehow is linked to Onedrive...
    the onedrive linked one has everything that the non onedrive should. (game saves, etc)
    my question is...why? is this normal cause i can't imagine it is...
    i don't think steam game save cloud will work with onedrive so i need to know, is this fixable WITHOUT another wipe? i have no idea how my onedrive got synced with my documents folder. i didn't set it up that way. any help is appreciated!
    thanks!

TheMatt1984, Aug 5, 2022
  3. rondebbs Win User
    OneDrive and two PCs Documents Folder

Hello, I have an older Dell All-inOne PC running windows 10. I keep most of my files in the - This PC\ Documents folder. I started using oneDrive to backup my Documents folder. I think when I set this up I just copied the This PC\Documents folder to OnDrive so I now have OneDrive\Documents. I always work on the local Documents folder and periodically get any new files to OneDrive\Documents as a backup.

I recently got a new Lenovo laptop. After logging on the first time I realized that my OneDrive files could be seen/accessed from the new Lenovo. But now on the new Lenovo I see that my local Documents (This PC\Documents) seem to be populated with all the OneDrive\documents files. I'm not sure how they got to my local hard drive (This PC\Documents). Are OneDrive files automatically copied to my local Documents folder? Thanks - Brad

rondebbs, Aug 5, 2022
  4. KeithM Win User

The local OneDrive folder, the PC Documents folder, OneDrive backup and sync. How does it...

OneDrive and two PCs Documents Folder

Not exactly. If you right-click This PC\Documents and select the Location tab, you will see that it is pointing to C:\Users\<UserName>\OneDrive\Documents. So your files aren't being copied to your local Documents folder (C:\Users\<UserName>\Documents (it's most likely empty)). They are being saved directly to the OneDrive folder because the OneDrive\Documents folder has been designated as your local Documents folder.

If you want your new machine to behave like the old one, go to OneDrive settings, select the Auto-save tab, click the Update folders button, and turn off "protection" for all folders. This should move your files to the default Documents folder and only files moved/saved to the OneDrive\Documents folder will be synced.

Keith

KeithM, Aug 5, 2022
Thema:

The local OneDrive folder, the PC Documents folder, OneDrive backup and sync. How does it...

1. The local OneDrive folder, the PC Documents folder, OneDrive backup and sync. How does it... - Similar Threads - local OneDrive folder

2. How to stop syncing folder under ~/Documents with OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop syncing folder under ~/Documents with OneDrive?: I have a folder named ~/Documents/Rockstar Games that I do not want to sync to OneDrive. But when I try to disable syncing of this folder in OneDrive settings, I get a message saying that Documents is being synced and I cannot stop syncing the /Rockstar Games folder. Is there...
  3. How to stop syncing folder under ~/Documents with OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop syncing folder under ~/Documents with OneDrive?: I have a folder named ~/Documents/Rockstar Games that I do not want to sync to OneDrive. But when I try to disable syncing of this folder in OneDrive settings, I get a message saying that Documents is being synced and I cannot stop syncing the /Rockstar Games folder. Is there...
  4. The local OneDrive folder, the PC Documents folder, OneDrive backup and sync. How does it...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The local OneDrive folder, the PC Documents folder, OneDrive backup and sync. How does it...: I was recently trying to clear some space on my work laptop. I realized I wasn't really using the OneDrive folders on my sidebar so without really understanding what I was doing I unsynced it. It didn't really clear any space I didn't expect it to since as far as I knew, I...
  5. The local OneDrive folder, the PC Documents folder, OneDrive backup and sync. How does it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The local OneDrive folder, the PC Documents folder, OneDrive backup and sync. How does it...: I was recently trying to clear some space on my work laptop. I realized I wasn't really using the OneDrive folders on my sidebar so without really understanding what I was doing I unsynced it. It didn't really clear any space I didn't expect it to since as far as I knew, I...
  6. Onedrive and This PC folder sync

Onedrive and This PC folder sync: I have Windows 10 and just moved to Onedrive in order to sync my files to the cloud like I did with iDrive. My goal is to ensure all the files and folders in the Documents folder and Desktop are backed up automatically whenever they change. Boom!Unfortunately, when I change...
  7. Onedrive and This PC folder sync

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive and This PC folder sync: I have Windows 10 and just moved to Onedrive in order to sync my files to the cloud like I did with iDrive. My goal is to ensure all the files and folders in the Documents folder and Desktop are backed up automatically whenever they change. Boom!Unfortunately, when I change...
  8. Onedrive and This PC folder sync

9. Not Syncing Folders with OneDrive

Not Syncing Folders with OneDrive: How do I add a folder to my desktop without having OneDrive attempt to sync it? I wanted to move a large file and for ease of access wanted to place it on the desktop. I don't want OneDrive to upload all 6GB of it. What I tried: I created a "Local" folder on Desktop. I...
  10. OneDrive Syncing with Local Documents/Pictures/Videos/Etc Folders

OneDrive Syncing with Local Documents/Pictures/Videos/Etc Folders: Hello all, I've been searching for the last couple of weeks and haven't exactly found what I am looking for--I may need a third party app, but we shall see. I have two computers--a desktop and a laptop, both running Windows 10 Pro. My desktop's storage is basically...