Windows 10: The m, c and shift keys on my laptop keyboard intermittently stop working.

Discus and support The m, c and shift keys on my laptop keyboard intermittently stop working. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; The m, c and shift keys on my laptop keyboard intermittently stop working. This always happens when the computer starts up from being completely shut... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Chris_S_S, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Chris_S_S Win User

The m, c and shift keys on my laptop keyboard intermittently stop working.

This always happens when the computer starts up from being completely shut down or after it has been in sleep or hibernate mode.

To make m, c and shift keys work again, I press the m and k keys at the same time over and over again until the m key starts working. Then, I hold the m key down and just let it run for a while. After the m key starts working, I press and hold the c key and just let it run as well.

After the process I just described and after the computer has been running for a while, the m, c and shift keys work just fine. If I close the laptop, which puts it in sleep mode, and leave it that way for a while, the problem returns when I open the laptop and try to use those keys again.

I have tried a number of suggested fixes I have found on the internet. Including:

Running the Windows 10 Keyboard Troubleshooter - No problem found.

Sticky Key changes in Settings - No help.

Updating keyboard drivers to include Uninstalling Device - Didn’t help.

Starting the computer in Safe Mode - The m, c and shift keys don’t work here either.

Running Windows update – No help.

Updating my BIOS – No help.

Cleaning the keys - No help.

Using a USB connected keyboard – this works, no m, c and shift keys problems.

The on-screen keyboard works just fine.

All of the other keys on my keyboard work just fine.

Any ideas?

:)

Chris_S_S, Aug 1, 2020
  2. LTUGamer Win User

Both shift keys

Hello.
    I have problem with Lenovo Idea Pad 100 laptop (OS: WIN10). After replacing HDD into SSD I faced a strange problem. Both Shifts of the keyboard doesn‘t work .
    I have tried to:
    • Check if sticky keys are off. They are off.
    • Connect external keyboard via USB port. Shift keys on external keyboard works good.
    • Check the keyboard on online tester which indicates pressed buttons. It can‘t indicate press of the shift
    • Change several different input languages. The problem is on all of them.
    • Reinstall keyboard driver
    • Check if connection is OK. It is OK.
    • Tried to run computer without screws (I have read in one forum that screws could touch the keyboard from the bottom and it wouldn‘t operate normal)
    I believe that keyboard is not damaged because connector damage could cause just exact part of keyboard failure, while it is impossible to do physical damage for both shifts. Any solutions?

LTUGamer, Aug 1, 2020
  3. OrbitzXT Win User
    random keyboard keys stop working?

i went out today and everything was fine, i come home and three random keys stopped working, maybe more i havent noticed yet. the three key on the left side of the keyboard not working, the left shift stopped working, and the enter key stopped working, but the one on the numpad works fine. no one was home to use it, nothing spilled on it, i tried it on another computer and same deal. im gonna go buy a new one tomorrow but it makes me sad cause i loved this keyboard lol, microsoft ergonomic 4000. ill probably buy the same exact one if its in stock tomorrow, this one lasted or 4 years about. im just confused why three random keys spread out stopped working at the same time...seems very weird

OrbitzXT, Aug 1, 2020
  4. Berton Win User

Some keyboard keys stopped working after windows 10 upgrade

Has the Notebook been worked on? Do any of those keys work if holding down the Shift key? Have you used compressed air to blow out any crud that may be blocking the keys?

It's not expensive nor hard to replace the keyboard, usually can find a video or step-by-step articles on the 'net.
    Amazon shows a new keyboard:
    Amazon.com: Dell Inspiron 15 (3521 / 5521) Laptop Keyboard - YH3FC - Genuine Dell Part: Computers Accessories

Berton, Aug 1, 2020
Thema:

1. The m, c and shift keys on my laptop keyboard intermittently stop working. - Similar Threads - shift keys laptop

2. Shift+m and shift+" not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shift+m and shift+" not working: So shift+m and shift+" are not working, whenever I try to do it it does absolutely nothing. Every other shift+key works just fine. I tried a different keyboard still doesn't work. Also ran "sfc /scannow" in the elevated cmd along with "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image...
  3. Shift key not working on laptop keyboard but working with external keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shift key not working on laptop keyboard but working with external keyboard: Shift key not working on laptop keyboard but working with the external keyboard.My sticky keys are turned on but still not workingi use Dell XPS 13, intel i7....
  4. Shift key not working on laptop keyboard but working with external keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shift key not working on laptop keyboard but working with external keyboard: Shift key not working on laptop keyboard but working with the external keyboard.My sticky keys are turned on but still not workingi use Dell XPS 13, intel i7....
  5. Shift key and "c" not working on Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shift key and "c" not working on Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard: Hello All,New to the community so my apologies if this is not the correct category to be asking this.I have the Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard and Mouse. All keys seem to work fine except when I do the combo of Shift+c - no capital c appears. All other letters and symbols appear....
  6. Shift key and "c" not working on Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shift key and "c" not working on Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard: Hello All,New to the community so my apologies if this is not the correct category to be asking this.I have the Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard and Mouse. All keys seem to work fine except when I do the combo of Shift+c - no capital c appears. All other letters and symbols appear....
  7. Shift key and "c" not working on Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Specific laptop keyboard keys work intermittently

Specific laptop keyboard keys work intermittently: Throughout the past few months, specific keys on my laptop keyboard have been working intermittently. These include 't', 'y' and 'o'. At times, I will have to press and hold these keys for them to be registered, at other times they operate as they should. I have several of...
  9. keyboard intermittently stops working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    keyboard intermittently stops working: Can you tell me why the keyboard stops typing just out of the blue. It is very annoying. After we restart the computer, it works fine for awhile. Then back to not working....
  10. shift + m key not working!

shift + m key not working!: Hi. Recently my shift + 'm' key isn't working. I know for a fact it worked yesterday because I typed something using a capital m. I've restarted my computer. I've used other keyboards. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. I'm not sure what else to do. Any help would...