Windows 10: The Malware Remover tells me a Microsoft Time-Stamp Service file is suspicious, what do I do?

Discus and support The Malware Remover tells me a Microsoft Time-Stamp Service file is suspicious, what do I do? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; My laptop was slow of late so i ran a malware scanner and removal tool. It found an object with a .tmp extension and said that "the digital signature... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by RJ4N0CV10P657179, Mar 10, 2021.

1. The Malware Remover tells me a Microsoft Time-Stamp Service file is suspicious, what do I do?

My laptop was slow of late so i ran a malware scanner and removal tool. It found an object with a .tmp extension and said that

"the digital signature on this file is invalid.

Program is altered or corrupted since it was code signed by its author. This is typical for malware and pirated software."

I checked the properties of this file. In Digital Signature and it says

"the digital signature of the object did not verify"

the issuer is "microsoft code-signing PCA 2011" and its issued to "microsoft corporation"

There's a 'counter signature' to this, the issuer is "microsoft time-stamp PCA 2011" and its issued to "microsoft time-stamp service"

I do not understand any of this. I only know from another forum post that microsoft time-stamp service is generally used by things like adobe and vscode. Right? Both of which I have but I don't know what do with the message I've got. Do i delete or quarantine this file? Can you explain what it does?

thanks. freaking out here.

:)

RJ4N0CV10P657179, Mar 10, 2021

2. Best way to remove problem Malware

Hi There,

I am trying to remove a bundle of Malware without success.

There is a bundle of listed programs which I try to uninstall through the typical Control Panel effort, but they remain listed there:

Buenosearch Toolbar
    MyPC Backup
    PC Performer
    Speed Test 127
    UnknownFile

I was looking at this weblink which provides a 5 step process for Buenosearch alone:
    Remove Bueno Search (Removal Guide)

Not sure how much certain guides can be trusted. One of the first things I read was to download Revo Uninstaller, and I've not heard of it so I'm not sure if it's trustworthy..........

radioraheem, Mar 10, 2021
  3. hput3 Win User
    How to remove en.softonic malware that appears on desktop periodically

A kind of malware has somehow gotten onto my win 10 PC. What I get is a small advertisment that pops up in the bottom right on my desktop... When I turn it off (clicking the corner X). It comes back again some time later but with different content.

I haven't timed it but seems lake maybe a 1/2 hr.

I've googled extensively but all the instructions I've found, tell you to use the windows uninstaller to uninstall softonic. And maybe some manual clean up after the uninstall. But there is nothing installed with `softonic' in its name and even when the ad is running there is no process running with softonic in its name.

All the google hits appear to assume the windows uninstaller will know about softonic. Even the manual parts of some of the hits appear to assume you have been successful in unintalling it.

The instructions also suggest several free malware removal products and claim any of them will remove it.
    `Zema Anti-malware', `MalwareBytes' and `AdwCleaner'

I tried all those listed in one of the instruction sets, ran the scan but none of them found whatever is running the little softonic pop up ad.

This type of malware apparently falls into a category called a `PUP'.

I never found in the google hits what expected would be there somewhere. A list of steps to remove something like this by hand.

Can anyone here advise me?

hput3, Mar 10, 2021
  4. slozomby Win User

The Malware Remover tells me a Microsoft Time-Stamp Service file is suspicious, what do I do?

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Mar 10, 2021
Thema:

The Malware Remover tells me a Microsoft Time-Stamp Service file is suspicious, what do I do?

1. The Malware Remover tells me a Microsoft Time-Stamp Service file is suspicious, what do I do? - Similar Threads - Malware Remover tells

2. Plz tell me what to do

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Plz tell me what to do: I have window 10 fully updated hp pavilion notebook pc I have a short range issue with all bluetooth device pairing with my laptop it is having crack sound when moved around 15-20 cm from laptop please help....
  3. Plz tell me what to do

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Plz tell me what to do: I have window 10 fully updated hp pavilion notebook pc I have a short range issue with all bluetooth device pairing with my laptop it is having crack sound when moved around 15-20 cm from laptop please help....
  4. Plz tell me what to do

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. please tell me what to do

in Windows 10 Gaming
    please tell me what to do: hello thanks for information , but i have another problem with my computer. my computer and external hard disk work very good for more than a year . i one day my computer speaker did not work i try to back up speaker but still did not work . then i try to recovery my computer...
  6. please tell me what to do

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    please tell me what to do: hello thanks for information , but i have another problem with my computer. my computer and external hard disk work very good for more than a year . i one day my computer speaker did not work i try to back up speaker but still did not work . then i try to recovery my computer...
  7. Virus and Malware - Suspicious email and what to do about it

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Virus and Malware - Suspicious email and what to do about it: I keep recieving emails that I am concerned may be malware or contain a virus or something like that. I have copied and pasted the one received today but I have put XXXXXX@xx**** where my email address was in the hyperlink. How do I know when it is legitimately Microsoft? The...
  8. Can Anyone tell me what these files are and what to do with them or if they are a virus

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can Anyone tell me what these files are and what to do with them or if they are a virus: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ginger8U [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j6zfzl/can_anyone_tell_me_what_these_files_are_and_what/
  9. What to do after removing malware?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What to do after removing malware?: I recently discovered and successfully removed Minikatz from my system and was wondering what the next steps should be? Do I change passwords, etc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/what-to-do-after-removing-malware/2bf9515b-db8c-479c-a02c-21964ed97ad4
  10. Can someone tell what is this process actually doing? Is it a malware?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can someone tell what is this process actually doing? Is it a malware?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ujwal-2000 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/flugqq/can_someone_tell_what_is_this_process_actually/