Windows 10: The media is write protected on internal HDD

Discus and support The media is write protected on internal HDD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After installing an mSata SSD as my main boot drive for Windows 10 Enterprise I can no longer write to the internal HDD. I have checked the read only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TheRagnarok, Jan 21, 2018.

1. The media is write protected on internal HDD

After installing an mSata SSD as my main boot drive for Windows 10 Enterprise I can no longer write to the internal HDD.
    I have checked the read only status in disk part and everything is correct.
    If I pull the drive from the laptop and insert it into a usb dock I can write files to just fine.
    I am running out of space in the SSD and it really bugs me not being able to use my HDD.
    Thanks for any input.

:)

TheRagnarok, Jan 21, 2018

2. The backup failed. Then media is write protected. (0x80070013)

Dear Mr/Ms:

I don't know how to go to disc properties page.

Yang Li 19920112, Jan 21, 2018
  3. The backup failed. Then media is write protected. (0x80070013)

The error happened at almost the end of backup. I used some dvd -rw and dvd +rw to create system image, but no matter which kind of dvd I used, the error was always ----

The backup failed. Then media is write protected. (0x80070013)

The media is write protected on internal HDD [​IMG]

Therefore I have no ideal how to fix this problem. In addition, I checked the dvds I used, they are ok and the system I am using is windows 10 32-bit.

Can someone answer my question?

Thanks

Yang Li 19920112, Jan 21, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

The media is write protected on internal HDD

Have you tried switching the internal HDD to a different SATA port when using it inside the PC enclosure/case? I'm curious if this is a property of just one SATA port or all of the available ones in your machine. If you can try plugging it into (or switching cables to use) a different SATA port, it may solve your problem (in which case you'll know it was the port) or not (in which case the drive becomes a more interesting suspect -- "interesting" because you can write to it when plugged into an external dock). For the nonce, you might want to just use it in your dock so you can write to it while we're getting this figured out.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 21, 2018
  5. kipper Win User
    This should or maybe I should say could help with your problem...

Step 1.

From All Programs….select “Windows System”………Right Click and select “Run as Administrator” on “Command Prompt”…….when the cmd prompt window opens go to the next step…

Step 2.
    Type "diskpart" at the prompt and press the "Enter" key. The Diskpart tool launches.

Step 3.
    Type the "list volume" command, without quotes, then press the "Enter" key. The volumes attached to the computer are listed.

Step 4.
    Type "select volume X" (omitting quotes and replacing "X" with the letter of the volume to modify) and then press "Enter."

Step 5.
    Type "attributes disk clear readonly" (again omitting quotes) and then press "Enter" to make the specified disk writable.

Step 6.
    Type "exit" to close the Diskpart utility.

Hope you get it figured out....

kipper, Jan 21, 2018
  6. Thanks for the input guys.
    I will hunt down an HDD caddy to try the other sata port for the DVD drive as there is only one HDD bay on this laptop.
    And I tried the attribute clear command but this did not resolve the issue.
    Thanks, again.

TheRagnarok, Jan 21, 2018
  7. EdTittel Win User
    Something funky with the internal SATA connections, if the diskpart suggestion makes no difference. This one keeps getting more interesting but (and alas) not in a good way. Do keep us posted. I'm going to learn something from this, and I hope it's something valuable.
    Thanks,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 22, 2018
  8. The media is write protected on internal HDD

I may have made some progress?
    Ok, so when I go into my computer and right click and "format" the drive, as soon as it pops up in the "this pc" window I am able to partly transfer a folder to the drive before it kicks back with the "write protected" error.
    This is weird and I discovered this by accident.

TheRagnarok, Jan 22, 2018
  9. Did some more googling and found this Second hard drive says write-protected

This regedit resolved my issue!
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Policies\Microsoft\FVE]
    "FDVDenyWriteAccess"=dword:00000000

Ran diskpart clean after editing the registry and all is well.
    Time to offload my full solid state!
    And thanks for all input!

TheRagnarok, Feb 4, 2018
  10. EdTittel Win User
    Thanks for following up. How on earth did you figure out what to search for? Great job!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

The media is write protected on internal HDD

1. The media is write protected on internal HDD - Similar Threads - media write protected

2. How to remove write-protected in hdd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove write-protected in hdd: I already tried diskpart, regedit, formatting and AOMEI partition and nothing seems to be working unfortunately https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-write-protected-in-hdd/53201a9f-3831-4b38-95d6-7109002a6ed7
  3. The media is write-protected

The media is write-protected: Good morning, I have issues removing write-protection from my USB flash drive. It has no hardware switch for enabling/disabling write-protection, • diskpart • list disk• sel disk 2• attrbites disk• Current Read-only State : Yes• attributes disk clear readonly reports "Disk...
  4. The media is write-protected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The media is write-protected: Good morning, I have issues removing write-protection from my USB flash drive. It has no hardware switch for enabling/disabling write-protection, • diskpart • list disk• sel disk 2• attrbites disk• Current Read-only State : Yes• attributes disk clear readonly reports "Disk...
  5. this media is write protected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    this media is write protected: I tried accessing the photos and I got the this media is write protected error and I looked up how to fix it and did it but it still says this media is write protected. The photos aren't from another device....
  6. this media is write protected

this media is write protected: I tried accessing the photos and I got the this media is write protected error and I looked up how to fix it and did it but it still says this media is write protected. The photos aren't from another device....
  7. Internal disk write protected

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Internal disk write protected: Windows was updated last night. After the mandatory reboot,when checking my drives I noticed that one of the internal drives was missing.I looked in the disk manager and there it was but it asked me to initialize it.I've never seen that before. Now I can access that disk,...
  8. "Media is write protected"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Media is write protected": I was always able to click on an icon and view a photo on my PC. Now this message pops up. Please help. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-is-write-protected/aff97eae-a941-4807-8205-6caea7aea58a"
  9. The media is write protected.

The media is write protected.: I keep getting a strange error when I try to open PNG files in Photos, "The media is write protected." None of the files are read only, and I can edit them in any way I want, it only pops up when I try to open them in Photos. Any way to fix this?...
  10. Back up Failed. The media is write protected. Internal and external drives?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Back up Failed. The media is write protected. Internal and external drives?: Have not been able to do a back up for about a month now. My internal 1tb D drive is normally used for backups. I keep getting the message 'The media is write protected'. Error code 0x80070013 Today I tried it with an external 500gb drive and got the same error message....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the media is write protected 0x80070013

2. the media is write protected hdd

3. media is write protected in external hdd

4. The media is write protected. (0x80070013),
  5. internal disks are write protected,
  6. hdd media is write protected,
  7. msata m3 write protected,
  8. opened write protected msata,
  9. internal ssd had write protect switch,
  10. media write protected error,
  11. ssd media write protected regedit,