Windows 10: The miserable hell of the random unprovoked BSODs, I'm out of ideas

Discus and support The miserable hell of the random unprovoked BSODs, I'm out of ideas in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I'm struggling with frequent BSODs I don't know how to solve. I've done all the basics I can think of, looking for any help. Bought an MSI GS66 laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ben83720, May 25, 2021.

1. ben83720 Win User

The miserable hell of the random unprovoked BSODs, I'm out of ideas

I'm struggling with frequent BSODs I don't know how to solve. I've done all the basics I can think of, looking for any help. Bought an MSI GS66 laptop in late February, updated all the drivers to the latest OEM ones, except for a minor (per changelog) BIOS and firmware update. Running Windows 10 20H2. A month later I start to get BSODs, almost always the same one: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED with parameters similar to 0x0000001e ffffffff`c0000005 ffffd600`36edc20e. The only driver consistently listed as the "cause" in BlueScreenView is ntoskrnl.exe, in one BSOD it listed fltmgr.sys as well). I used windbg.exe with symbols loaded to try and get more info and each analysis for each minidump said basically the same thing: - Probably caused by : hardware_ram ( PAGE_NOT_ZERO ) - *** Memory manager detected 210483 instance(s) of page corruption, target is likely to have memory corruption. - BAD_PAGES_DETECTED: 33633 - etc. So I thought it might be bad memory, BUT a) I used Memtest86+ to scan the memory that was installed and it found nothing but to be sure b) I swapped the memory for a completely different set of memory (the original memory, I upgraded as soon as I got the laptop) but I got the same BSOD a couple hours later. When I swapped the memory I made sure to an air canister to remove any dust from sockets and memory sticks, made sure they were seated well. I should add that a couple BSODs happened when no external devices (aside from a mouse) were connected. I re-checked the drivers on the OEM site, and there are no new ones. But again, laptop was working for 1 month without issues. Originally the BSODs were happening 1-2 weeks apart, but the frequency seems to be picking up. It went from 2 weeks to 7 days to 4 days to 36 hours to 12 hours, and I even got two within 2 hours over the weekend. Most of the BSODs have happened when the machine wasn't even being used (overnight), when the only foreground application loaded was the browser. A couple days ago when it happened I was browsing the web (almost nothing else running), another time it BSODed soon after closing an application and otherwise doing nothing. It doesn't strongly feel like my activity is correlated to the BSOD events. Having said that, last night I used Stablebit drive scanner on my disks and a few minutes after completing a scan I get a different BSOD, the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE which said something about it can fail 10 minutes after a device has not responded about its power state. But that BSOD has all the same messages about hundreds of thousands of instances of page corruption. But I haven't been able to reproduce it and am not sure if it's related. I have two NVME drives installed, one was original, one I added. Given the BSOD that could be related to the disk scan, I removed the original NVME which I repurposed into additional storage, just to see if maybe there was an issue with it, despite it seemingly behaving perfectly. No crash yet. But, that likely means nothing, it's only been a few hours. I've tried running OCCT tests to see if I could trigger the issue or find some bad memory (again, already used memtest86+, but as I need to use the computer for work I figured I could stress test and use it at the same time this way). But no stress testing has seemed to cause it. I've also looked through the Windows logs and I see no evidence of anything happening before the BSODs, there's no sudden Windows update activity, or some application throwing errors. I did the DISM restore health (no action taken) and SFC scannow (it found one .net file amiss which it fixed, but a BSOD since says that wasn't it). Where do I go from here? I haven't a clue how to try to identify the cause at this point, I know of nothing to reproduce it or test it. Is there anything I can do to try to further confirm where the fault lies, if it is a specific driver or hardware? Of course my Costco return window just closed a couple weeks ago, before the problem started getting worse. I'm not sure if anyone is willing to help, I see the BSOD Posting Instructions and understand the value of the scripts you all have to gather logs/info. I just don't see how I can convince myself to do that, it just goes against all my security norms. I can't trust myself to vet every line of the script, and I'm new here and don't know enough to know there's no/minimal risk. And I really don't want to waste your time, so I understand people not wanting to go back and forth. Thanks for any help anyone can offer, though. This really hurts the soul. My computer has always been a bit of a sanctuary, it's this one stable, controllable area of my life, and knowing it can just crash at any moment is really unsettling.

:)

ben83720, May 25, 2021
  2. ARC
    Arc Win User

Random BSOD while browsing internet

BitDefender is nothing special. mwac.sys causes BSODs anywhere.
    A tiny documentation can be found here: Solved Random BSODs - Windows 10 Forums
    In that very thread, the suggested action apparently worked.

The storage and network filters of any third party antivirus can cause BSODs. Neither MBAM nor BitDefender is any special. For a regular antivirus, it may be shifted to an alternative; but MBAM has no alternative. So a clean install of the said program is the most feasible first step.
    As far as the first step is not failing, it is better to not think for the second step. Because the BSODs are not universal, failure at the first step is not universal; and success at the second step is also not universal.
    That is why I posted that my suggestion may work, or may not. Let us see where it goes.

3. Ztruker Win User
    Random BSOD while browsing internet

Sorry, Bitdefender is a problem: BSOD BAD_POOL_HEADER - mwac.sys - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Help - Malwarebytes Forums

Ztruker, May 25, 2021
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

Random BSODs "Bad_Pool_Caller"

This BSOD happens anywhere, irrespective of BitDefender. It takes place even when the antivirus is MSE in case of Windows 7. The most common cause is an expired trial or a cracked installation. Some examples:

We are on our way of troubleshooting. If the uninstallation and reinstallation does not work, we will take the next step.

I, in general, know what I am doing and what I am suggesting. If I feel that I am unable to control the issue, I will definitely ask for help.

Thema:

1. The miserable hell of the random unprovoked BSODs, I'm out of ideas - Similar Threads - miserable hell random

2. What is wrong with Windows cause I'm out of ideas

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is wrong with Windows cause I'm out of ideas: In Sept-Oct of 2023 I built my current PC and at the start of Feb my PC stared to blue screening randomly and even doing blue screens errors on start up. I traced back the issue to a windows update; 2024-02 Cumulative Update for windows 11 version 23h2 for x64-based systems...
  3. What is wrong with Windows cause I'm out of ideas

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is wrong with Windows cause I'm out of ideas: In Sept-Oct of 2023 I built my current PC and at the start of Feb my PC stared to blue screening randomly and even doing blue screens errors on start up. I traced back the issue to a windows update; 2024-02 Cumulative Update for windows 11 version 23h2 for x64-based systems...
  4. Random BSOD and im out of ideas

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random BSOD and im out of ideas: I got a new PC for christmas. Its a budget gaming PC for older games and some multiplayer stuff with friends. Some parts are coming from an older PC and they worked perfectly fine before.PSU: FSP Hyper 500 4 years oldGPU: GTX 1060 3 years oldMotherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H...
  5. Random BSOD and im out of ideas

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random BSOD and im out of ideas: I got a new PC for christmas. Its a budget gaming PC for older games and some multiplayer stuff with friends. Some parts are coming from an older PC and they worked perfectly fine before.PSU: FSP Hyper 500 4 years oldGPU: GTX 1060 3 years oldMotherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H...
  6. Random BSOD and im out of ideas

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. I'm out of idea. Maybe Firewall?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I'm out of idea. Maybe Firewall?: Lately, I have been running into an issue with the ethernet specifically to my home PC. I have made sure it is not the cable and have tried it on multiple devices. It seems to happen specifically when someone is trying to connect to my PC through LAN or if the computer is...
  8. BSOD - No idea what I'm doing

BSOD - No idea what I'm doing: Hey All, I've been getting BSOD lately, the last couple i had were Irql not less equal and clock watchdog timeout I've retrieved the dump files but have not idea where to upload them Any pointers would be appreciated Thanks, Josh...
  9. I'm having trouble installing windows 10 and I'm out of ideas. Help, please.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I'm having trouble installing windows 10 and I'm out of ideas. Help, please.: Over the past couple months I've tried installing windows 10 maybe a dozen times or more. I've tried the microsoft suggestions. The suggestions on help articles on the internet. I've run the troubleshooting tool maybe 50 times now. Every time I get the same general driver...
  10. 0x0000003b BSOD - I'm out of ideas!

0x0000003b BSOD - I'm out of ideas!: Hi. Good luck with the application! *Smile As I said earlier in the thread, the Asmedia ports have always been problematic. (Struggle to boot ANYTHING non-Windows, CSM or EFI - examples are Ubuntu, Linux Mint and Parted Magic). I'm off out for a while but I will try...