Windows 10: The netsh createalluserprofile parameter is writeable by any user

Discus and support The netsh createalluserprofile parameter is writeable by any user in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Yet another MS security wonder ? I just connected to a wifi hotspot from a non-admin account on my laptop. Since it was only for testing purposes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NovHak, Aug 20, 2016.

1. NovHak Win User

The netsh createalluserprofile parameter is writeable by any user

Yet another MS security wonder ?

I just connected to a wifi hotspot from a non-admin account on my laptop. Since it was only for testing purposes and with no intent of using it in the future, I decided to delete the wireless network profile once I've finished using it.

Most importantly, the createalluserprofile parameter is set to enabled=no. As far as I know, it means disabled.

So I begin the process :

Code: netsh... wlan... show profiles...[/quote] WHAT ? I see the profile corresponding to the hotspot has been created as an all users profile. Seriously ? Isn't the createalluserprofile parameter supposed to give the option to restrict this to administrators only ? Hence I wasn't much surprised when I noticed I was able to delete said profile without admin rights.

It seems that making our PCs look like tablet computers is not enough, we get tablet grade security too. Amazing, in some sense !

So. Is there any way left to achieve this now, or is it gone forever ?

:)

NovHak, Aug 20, 2016
  2. Valfourin Win User

Windows 10 Teredo Pseudo Tunnelling.

I can not get teredo tunelling to work correctly on my computer, this means i am unable to use any of the xbox app online features.

The adapter does not show up in device manager, even with hidden devices shown, the readout of "netsh int teredo show state" is as follows:

C:\Users\liamj>netsh int teredo show state

Teredo Parameters

---------------------------------------------

Type : client

Server Name : win10.ipv6.microsoft.com

Client Refresh Interval : 30 seconds

Client Port : unspecified

C:\Users\liamj>

Peer Networking Grouping runs automatically and is working, as is PNRP Machine Name Publication Service.

Computer/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters
    Disabled Components is set to value 0

Any and every attempt I've made to fix this issue following advice both on microsofts own support pages and other outlets has thus far been fruitless, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Valfourin, Aug 20, 2016
  3. shoumo Win User
    "The parameter is incorrect." Can't access any programs.

All of my desktop icons and the font look like they are zoomed in. On top of that, I'm unable to access anything-- I can't open anything in the start menu and the task bar has been completely cleared. When I try to open something from the start menu like
    control panel, I get the error message "The parameter is incorrect" under a line that states the location of the control panel in my files. Is this a virus? Or is it an issue with Windows 10? Should I use system restore if I can?

shoumo, Aug 20, 2016
  4. Mystere Win User

Where did you find that createalluserprofile is defaulted to no?

Mystere, Aug 20, 2016
  5. essenbe Win User
    Code: Applies To: Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista Syntax set createalluserprofile enabled={yes|no} Parameters EnabledRequired. Specifies whether all computer users are allowed to create all user profiles. Remarks If enabled is set to yes, then every user is allowed to create all user profiles. If enabled is set to no, then only users with administrator permissions are allowed to create all user profiles.[/quote] Netsh Commands for Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN) in Windows Server 2008

essenbe, Aug 20, 2016
  6. Mystere Win User
    I think we're aware of that, I'm not sure what your point is. I don't see where it says anything about a default setting.

Mystere, Aug 20, 2016
  7. NovHak Win User
    Where did I say it defaults to no ? I know it doesn't, I had it explicitly set to no by my humble self a long time ago, and it was (and is) still set to that value.
    @essenbe : I'm not sure to catch the point of your post. Are you suggesting it applies to WS2008 and Vista only ? It used to work in W8, I checked back in the day but not since I upgraded to 10. And anyway, if the option is deprecated, there should be some on-context notification at the very least. None here, I checked...

NovHak, Aug 21, 2016
  8. Mystere Win User

Well, it's not clear what you're asking then. What do you see when you type netsh wlan show createalluserprofile?

You should also know that this change will not affect profiles already created as all user..

Mystere, Aug 21, 2016
  9. NovHak Win User
    Code: C:\Users\Olivier>netsh wla sho cre Tout le monde n'est pas autorisé créer le profil des utilisateurs.[/quote] Which means « Not everybody is authorised to create the users' profile ». A bad translation indeed, but I'm used to bad translations here and there in Windows...

I know that previously existing profiles won't be affected.

What I want is that system-wide wireless profiles are protected from unauthorised tampering such as change, deletion or adding another system-wide wireless profile. That's what setting createalluserprofile enabled=no used to do in W8, now it's ineffective.

IIRC there's a way to define wireless profiles by policy, maybe these would still be protected, I will have to check this again. Other advices are welcome !

NovHak, Aug 21, 2016
  10. Mystere Win User
    In English it says the same thing, so it's not really a bad translation.

Mystere, Aug 21, 2016
  11. NovHak Win User
    Strange, as it should be "Not everybody is authorised to create all users profiles". I thought it would be stated correctly in the original language at least !

Anyway, I will come back here as I try alternate solutions...

EDIT : Well I'm coming back here, since I didn't see the option to create network profiles by policy, it seems absent from local computer policy (don't confuse with "Network List Manager Policies", it's different).

As a side note, if people are interested I can post another long standing security problem in Windows that's permitting any user to view another user's complete file hierarchy (all file names, not contents), no matter what the NTFS ACLs are. I find this one very interesting, as it points out imho the complete lack of a real vision of information security.

But here is the trick, precisely : most Windows users really don't care or will always find excuses.

NovHak, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. The netsh createalluserprofile parameter is writeable by any user - Similar Threads - netsh createalluserprofile parameter

2. Netsh

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Netsh: CMDNetshnetshnetsh.exe https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%E6%97%A0%E6%B3%95%E6%AD%A3%E5%B8%B8%E4%BD%BF/2ccbf0bb-0528-430c-bb89-a4f6274b4fdc
  3. Netsh

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Netsh: CMDNetshnetshnetsh.exe https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%E6%97%A0%E6%B3%95%E6%AD%A3%E5%B8%B8%E4%BD%BF/2ccbf0bb-0528-430c-bb89-a4f6274b4fdc
  4. NETSH command

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    NETSH command: Playing around with the command as a utility to troubleshoot connectivity issues. Running this command gives a bunch of great info but I would like to have it save the html file to a specific path. Can't find info on doing that . Does anyone know ? netsh wlan show...
  5. Netsh Winsock Reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Netsh Winsock Reset: I have a problem easy anti-cheat where I keep getting an untrusted system file error and according to my research the way to fix it is either, sfc /scannow which didn't work or netsh winsock reset I haven't tried I'm very hesitant to whether I should do the netsh winsock...
  6. Netsh show output

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Netsh show output: Hello, I need to be able to determine which of our devices can connect to a 5GHz WLAN and which are limited to 2.4GHz. I was hoping that this information would be stored in WMI so it is easy to inventory with Config Manager but I've not had much luck so far locating a...
  7. parameter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    parameter: why does it say parameter incorrect when i hit print? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/parameter/1b2e6b2c-6b11-46ef-a22b-ce015fe41dc3
  8. Direct Access Client no longer showing any netsh information

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Direct Access Client no longer showing any netsh information: I have a newish laptop that as of yesterday was working with DA to access our domain. Today the user has not access if you run netsh int http show int nothing is returned, like totally blank If I run reg query HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tcpip6\Parameters /v...
  9. Know about parameters of Netsh int ip set global command

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Know about parameters of Netsh int ip set global command: What is loopbackexecutionmode and reassemblyoutoforderlimit in the netsh int ip set global ? What difference between inline and adaptive loopbackexecutionmode? What were the default values in previous versions of Windows? ***Modified title from: new ip settings...
  10. cannot edit (or see) parameters in a shortcut any longer

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot edit (or see) parameters in a shortcut any longer: I have a shortcut to a program and pass the program a parameter, e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Beyond Compare 2\BC2.exe" @Syncit The shortcut works, however, since windows 10, I find that I cannot edit or even view the full command line using rightclick/properties. In...