Windows 10: The new Raspberry Pi 2, now with Windows 10 support

Discus and support The new Raspberry Pi 2, now with Windows 10 support in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The humble Raspberry Pi, the board that has taught countless people (adults and children alike) to program and which powers innumerable homebrew hacks... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Feb 1, 2015.

1. labeeman Win User

The new Raspberry Pi 2, now with Windows 10 support

Source

labeeman, Feb 1, 2015
  2. BunnyJ New Member

Very good.. and a great price as well.

Jeff

:)

BunnyJ, Feb 1, 2015
  3. Does the Windows 10 IoT version use the Windows 7 Backup & Restore?

Hello Lewishilary,

We understand that your would like to know about the Windows 10 IoT version back up and restore system.

Currently we do not have much information on this. To know more on
    Windows 10 IoT Core support for Raspberry Pi 3
    follow the blog.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Feb 1, 2015
  4. ELiOT. Win User

Will windows 10 IoT be free after launch?

Windows 10 IoT will launch for computer like the Raspberry Pi 2. Will it cost anything to download after the official launch?

(Moved from Other/Unknown)

ELiOT., Feb 1, 2015
  5. *Dinesh*Thumbs I have a B+ and will be buying one of these as well. I was reading an article on it on the Hackaday site. I was happy to see that this new version should be able to run Android, the B+ I have won't. This is even better news though. I'm guessing this is a port of Windows RT?

alphanumeric, Feb 1, 2015
  6. badrobot Win User
    I got one (Model B) hooked up as a headless internet radio and network music player with wireless headphone. I control it via app on android phone.

Other times I use it as a surveillance cam.

The new Raspberry Pi 2, now with Windows 10 support [​IMG]

badrobot, Feb 1, 2015
  7. LEE
    Lee Win User
    What are these things really good for. . .just a question. . .*Huh

8. badrobot Win User

For a lot of things if you are a coding enthusiast. Look it up on google.

It can be a stand alone PC by itself ( but you need a monitor with HDMI). It can run linux, android and they are working on free Windows 10 version for RPi.

badrobot, Feb 1, 2015
  9. It's a mini single board computer. Based on a SOC, System On a Chip, I believe. I have a GPS breakout module and a pressure temp sensor breakout module to play with. They plug into a bread board that connects to the GPIO pins on the Pi. I haven't done a whole lot much with mine yet. I just ordered a 5 inch LCD touch display for mine. It's just the bare touch screen with backpack. No case. HDMI input. It should arrive any day now. We've been doing a bunch of home renovations so I packed it all away for now. I have to find some space to set it all up again to play with.

alphanumeric, Feb 1, 2015
  10. LEE
    Lee Win User

It can be a stand alone PC by itself ( but you need a monitor with HDMI). It can run linux, android and they are working on free Windows 10 version for RPi. With my brain the way it is; I was looking for a real world usage explanation not a technical blow your mind away explanation. . .albeit thanks for what you were able to provide me with. . .*Biggrin

11. badrobot Win User

It can be a stand alone PC by itself ( but you need a monitor with HDMI). It can run linux, android and they are working on free Windows 10 version for RPi. With my brain the way it is; I was looking for a real world usage explanation not a technical blow your mind away explanation. . .albeit thanks for what you were able to provide me with. . .*Biggrin No one can say what it does in a few words. You will be blown away when you find out. But to give you an idea, you can use an RPi board to make...

- A game console/Arcade machine
    -A netbook
    -Time lapse camera dolly
    -airplay speakers
    -internet radio
    -web server
    -wearable computer
    -a control unit for quad-copter
    -HD surveillance camera
    -3D scanner
    -web controlled power strip
    -photo booth...

I can go on forever... *Biggrin

And the latest quad-core board with 1GB RAM is only $35.

badrobot, Feb 1, 2015
  12. alphanumeric, Feb 1, 2015
  13. The new Raspberry Pi 2, now with Windows 10 support

Internet of Things devices are basically whatever niche purpose you have. In my case for example, I was thinking of doing a Pi to power an notification screen on my compulator tower but since it can't run Windows and RT at the time wasn't a usable SKU, that didn't happen. But with the new Pi and Windows 10, I can add in a notification screen onto the front of my future tower that shows the time, possibly control an audio amp's power supply, showing my notifications of course and maybe a picture slide show. It'll be used as a fancy display piece for pretty freaking cheap too.

The other possibility I might look into to see if it'll be feasible with Windows 10 RT and the Pi 2 is using it to power my baby PC I'll be making for my car soon to be a media center/infotainment system. $35 is cheaper than almost $100 for the mini-ITX board and AMD APU and uses little power. I don't know about that though, because I do need it x86 based for desktop programs like itunes so if someone wants to stream music from their iphone in my car, they can use itunes to do that.

The fun thing with the Raspberry Pi is and kind frustrating as well is finding a purpose for it. It's such a niche device that can power complex simple things like smart vending machines or fancy display systems or even a cheap HTPC.

Coke Robot, Feb 2, 2015
  14. badrobot Win User
    With it's HDMI (1080p) video port, HTPC is indeed the most practical use. And if it's running Windows, it will be no sweat to connect it to a central NAS.

badrobot, Feb 2, 2015
  15. @ Coke Robot, I don't see this being able to run x86 desktop programs. The port is likely RT or Windows phone 10? It's an ARM processor. From what I've read the supplied Windows OS is going to have some dev tools in it and be a bit different from the consumer version of 10. That could be good or bad depending on what you plan on doing with your Pi. One thing I do want to do is set one up as a media PC. Being able to run Netflix will be a bonus.

alphanumeric, Feb 2, 2015
Thema:

1. The new Raspberry Pi 2, now with Windows 10 support - Similar Threads - Raspberry support

2. Windows 11 on ARM installed on Raspberry Pi 4B cannot be upgraded

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 on ARM installed on Raspberry Pi 4B cannot be upgraded: As the question, when getting Windows Insider Program updates via Windows Update, the download progress is stuck at 1% for a long timeAnd when upgrading via Windows image, Setup.exe only appears as a process in the background of the task manager, and disappears after a few...
  3. Windows 11 on ARM installed on Raspberry Pi 4B cannot be upgraded

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 on ARM installed on Raspberry Pi 4B cannot be upgraded: As the question, when getting Windows Insider Program updates via Windows Update, the download progress is stuck at 1% for a long timeAnd when upgrading via Windows image, Setup.exe only appears as a process in the background of the task manager, and disappears after a few...
  4. Windows on Raspberry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows on Raspberry: I saw on the internet a few days ago how to install Windows on a Raspberry Pi. I'm doing research on the subject, but I'm curious whether Windows on Raspberry Pi is legal or not, because it was custom developed using Windows libraries. If it were possible, it would be...
  5. Windows on Raspberry

Windows on Raspberry: I saw on the internet a few days ago how to install Windows on a Raspberry Pi. I'm doing research on the subject, but I'm curious whether Windows on Raspberry Pi is legal or not, because it was custom developed using Windows libraries. If it were possible, it would be...
  6. Can windows 10 installed on raspberry pi 4 and used for medium level development projects?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can windows 10 installed on raspberry pi 4 and used for medium level development projects?: I am trying to do a project using Python tkinter for GUI in raspberry pi 4 8GB. I like to access raspberry pi from the Windows platform. For that, I like to use Windows OS on raspberry pi. Any pointers kindly appreciate. Thanks in advance....
  7. Can windows 10 installed on raspberry pi 4 and used for medium level development projects?

Can windows 10 installed on raspberry pi 4 and used for medium level development projects?: I am trying to do a project using Python tkinter for GUI in raspberry pi 4 8GB. I like to access raspberry pi from the Windows platform. For that, I like to use Windows OS on raspberry pi. Any pointers kindly appreciate. Thanks in advance....
  8. Can windows 10 installed on raspberry pi 4 and used for medium level development projects?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Installing MS-DOS 6.22 on a RaspBerry Pi 4

Installing MS-DOS 6.22 on a RaspBerry Pi 4: The processor of the RaspBerry Pi 4 makes use of a RISC architecture, so I would expect DOS 6.22 to run when I'm able to get it to load, but how do I get the RapBerry Pi 4 to boot it if it only accepts Linux kernels? Do you have any experience with this?I want to use QBasic...
  10. Windows 10 IoT Core support for Raspberry Pi 3

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 IoT Core support for Raspberry Pi 3: This morning, the Raspberry Pi Foundation announced availability of their new board—the Raspberry Pi 3. We’re excited to have Windows 10 support the new board via a new Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview update available for download today. The new Raspberry Pi 3 board is...