Windows 10: The new Raspberry Pi 2, now with Windows 10 support

Discus and support The new Raspberry Pi 2, now with Windows 10 support in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The Pi has an ARM processor so you won't be able to use x86 desktop programs. It will be like Windows RT or Windows Phone. It won't be your full blown... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Feb 1, 2015.

1. badrobot Win User

The new Raspberry Pi 2, now with Windows 10 support

Yeah, I am aware of that. RT will now belong to a long abandonware list that will be recycled for the Pi. The Raspbian Wheezy OS is actually a full working OS by itself. So I may stick with it.

badrobot, Feb 3, 2015

2. Yeah, I am aware of that. RT will now belong to a long abandonware list that will be recycled for the Pi. The Raspbian Wheezy OS is actually a full working OS by itself. So I may stick with it. Yeah, I know that you know. *Smile My comment was meant more as a general comment for others reading this thread that may not know what a raspberry Pi actually is or does.

alphanumeric, Feb 3, 2015
  3. LEE
    Lee Win User
    . . .so it is a geek thing, and really not much more. . .*Smile

4. The new Raspberry Pi 2, now with Windows 10 support

Depends on your definition of geek I guess. The GPIO pins let you interface with and control other devices. You can connect sensors and servos etc. Robotics etc. It's a nice device for a project where a full PC would be overkill, or take up to much space. Arduino and Beaglebone are also popular. Have a look around here and you'll see what I mean. Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits They can often do things fairly easily, that are overly complicated to do on a traditional PC. Even by itself it has many uses.

5. badrobot Win User
    Hey @alphanumeric , have you heard about the Banana Pi? It's a chinese version of RPi which I think is the main reason why RPi2 was created. The Banana Pi is more powerful that the first version of RPi. *Smile I almost got a Banana Pi before.

badrobot, Feb 3, 2015
  6. badrobot Win User
    We are all geeks in here. We just differ on the level of geekiness... *Smile

badrobot, Feb 3, 2015
  7. Hey @ , have you heard about the Banana Pi? It's a chinese version of RPi which I think is the main reason why RPi2 was created. The Banana Pi is more powerful that the first version of RPi. *Smile I almost got a Banana Pi before. I think I saw that mentioned on the Hackaday site? Or maybe it was CNET? I vaguely remember reading about it. I already had my B+ and wasn't looking for a second one at the time.

8. Wynona Win User

But, but, but . . . I have Microsoft Office for Android tablets on my RCA tablet, which has ARM processor, KitKat OS (might be a show stopper for Pi)1 GB RAM, Dalvik runtime with a 10.1" display.

And I'll bet you can use an apk to put KitKat (Android 4.4) onto the Pi. *Smile

Granted, this version of Office has only Word, Excel and PowerPoint, but those are what most folks use anyway.

I'd also hazard a guess that if Microsoft can do it, so can others.

Wynona, Feb 3, 2015
  9. Wynona Win User
    Yep! It's not only a geek thing, but in my NSHO, it's a major geek thing.

I may be able to build and set up my own computers and solve the various problems my senior clients have, but I am just not that geeky! *Cool

Wynona, Feb 3, 2015
  10. Wynona Win User
    We are all geeks in here. We just differ on the level of geekiness... *Smile I wholeheartedly agree!

Wynona, Feb 3, 2015
  11. But, but, but . . . I have Microsoft Office for Android tablets on my RCA tablet, which has ARM processor, KitKat OS (might be a show stopper for Pi)1 GB RAM, Dalvik runtime with a 10.1" display.

And I'll bet you can use an apk to put KitKat (Android 4.4) onto the Pi. *Smile

Granted, this version of Office has only Word, Excel and PowerPoint, but those are what most folks use anyway.

I'd also hazard a guess that if Microsoft can do it, so can others. That version of office is not the x86 version. More like the office RT they coded to run on the Surface RT. That's my understanding anyway. There was a plan to port Android 4 to the Pi but it fizzled out. The old ARM processor used was the road block. The new one on the Pi 2 B makes it easier to run Android. I wanted Android so I could run Netflix. I should be able to do that in Windows 10 with the Netflix App so I won't likely bother with Android. Not unless the new port of Android shows up first. If that happens and I'll have a look see.

12. Yep! It's not only a geek thing, but in my NSHO, it's a major geek thing.

I may be able to build and set up my own computers and solve the various problems my senior clients have, but I am just not that geeky! *Cool The latest Pi's are fairly easy to setup. You put your OS on an SD card and plug it in the built in card reader. Plug a cell phone charger into the Pi's micro USB port for the power supply. Connect a monitor to the HDMI port. Then a USB keyboard and mouse. It's the same connectors you see on a PC. Putting your OS on the SD card correctly is what takes the most time. There are several operating system compiled for the PI available. Downloads | Raspberry Pi

13. Mystere Win User

No, Microsoft is no longer producing RT based tablets. Windows RT is still alive and kicking for IoT (Internet of Things). Expect to see WinRT in everything from GPS devices to in-dash car systems, to smart-TV's and other applicances.

Mystere, Feb 3, 2015
  14. badrobot Win User
    I placed my RPi2 order last night. And this is the case that I also ordered:

The new Raspberry Pi 2, now with Windows 10 support [​IMG]

badrobot, Feb 11, 2015
  15. Wynona Win User
    Nice little case, Robot! I'm too busy to play with those things, but I like what I read.

Wynona, Feb 11, 2015
Thema:

1. The new Raspberry Pi 2, now with Windows 10 support - Similar Threads - Raspberry support

2. Windows 11 on ARM installed on Raspberry Pi 4B cannot be upgraded

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 on ARM installed on Raspberry Pi 4B cannot be upgraded: As the question, when getting Windows Insider Program updates via Windows Update, the download progress is stuck at 1% for a long timeAnd when upgrading via Windows image, Setup.exe only appears as a process in the background of the task manager, and disappears after a few...
  3. Windows 11 on ARM installed on Raspberry Pi 4B cannot be upgraded

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 on ARM installed on Raspberry Pi 4B cannot be upgraded: As the question, when getting Windows Insider Program updates via Windows Update, the download progress is stuck at 1% for a long timeAnd when upgrading via Windows image, Setup.exe only appears as a process in the background of the task manager, and disappears after a few...
  4. Windows on Raspberry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows on Raspberry: I saw on the internet a few days ago how to install Windows on a Raspberry Pi. I'm doing research on the subject, but I'm curious whether Windows on Raspberry Pi is legal or not, because it was custom developed using Windows libraries. If it were possible, it would be...
  5. Windows on Raspberry

Windows on Raspberry: I saw on the internet a few days ago how to install Windows on a Raspberry Pi. I'm doing research on the subject, but I'm curious whether Windows on Raspberry Pi is legal or not, because it was custom developed using Windows libraries. If it were possible, it would be...
  6. Can windows 10 installed on raspberry pi 4 and used for medium level development projects?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can windows 10 installed on raspberry pi 4 and used for medium level development projects?: I am trying to do a project using Python tkinter for GUI in raspberry pi 4 8GB. I like to access raspberry pi from the Windows platform. For that, I like to use Windows OS on raspberry pi. Any pointers kindly appreciate. Thanks in advance....
  7. Can windows 10 installed on raspberry pi 4 and used for medium level development projects?

Can windows 10 installed on raspberry pi 4 and used for medium level development projects?: I am trying to do a project using Python tkinter for GUI in raspberry pi 4 8GB. I like to access raspberry pi from the Windows platform. For that, I like to use Windows OS on raspberry pi. Any pointers kindly appreciate. Thanks in advance....
  8. Can windows 10 installed on raspberry pi 4 and used for medium level development projects?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Installing MS-DOS 6.22 on a RaspBerry Pi 4

Installing MS-DOS 6.22 on a RaspBerry Pi 4: The processor of the RaspBerry Pi 4 makes use of a RISC architecture, so I would expect DOS 6.22 to run when I'm able to get it to load, but how do I get the RapBerry Pi 4 to boot it if it only accepts Linux kernels? Do you have any experience with this?I want to use QBasic...
  10. Windows 10 IoT Core support for Raspberry Pi 3

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 IoT Core support for Raspberry Pi 3: This morning, the Raspberry Pi Foundation announced availability of their new board—the Raspberry Pi 3. We’re excited to have Windows 10 support the new board via a new Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview update available for download today. The new Raspberry Pi 3 board is...