Windows 10: The new Windows update is causing my laptop to not start up

Discus and support The new Windows update is causing my laptop to not start up in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When I go to shut down my laptop, the button says update and shut down. When I do this, and then start my laptop back up again it is stuck on the hp... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KathrynGynn, May 23, 2019.

1. The new Windows update is causing my laptop to not start up

When I go to shut down my laptop, the button says update and shut down. When I do this, and then start my laptop back up again it is stuck on the hp logo screen with a loading circle, and doesn't move beyond that. In order to use my laptop, I have to reset the computer to before the last update.

:)

KathrynGynn, May 23, 2019
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, May 23, 2019
  3. 3Colors Win User
    Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond The new Windows update is causing my laptop to not start up :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, May 23, 2019
  4. jbailey8 Win User

The new Windows update is causing my laptop to not start up

HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

To turn off windows updates in windows 7 follow these steps:

Click the start button, in the search box type in 'windows updates', click on 'windows update'
    in the search results list, in the left side of the windows update window click 'change settings'
    then in the option bar select 'Never check for updates'.

jbailey8, May 23, 2019
Thema:

The new Windows update is causing my laptop to not start up

1. The new Windows update is causing my laptop to not start up - Similar Threads - update causing laptop

2. Windows 11 update causes start-up issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 update causes start-up issues: A Windows update installed when I shut my laptop down last night, now it won't open properly. It goes on then blips to black then back to the home screen, then off, and keeps doing this....
  3. Windows 11 update causes start-up issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 update causes start-up issues: A Windows update installed when I shut my laptop down last night, now it won't open properly. It goes on then blips to black then back to the home screen, then off, and keeps doing this....
  4. An update screwed up my new laptop!!!!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    An update screwed up my new laptop!!!!!: Hello, I am hoping SOMEONE with REAL windows 10 knowledge can help me!Ever since a forced in, unstoppable, UNWANTED windows 10 update loaded itself into MY laptop, I can no longer open the "Start" menu, Action Center no longer opens and a few other things no longer...
  5. new updates cause computer to freeze up

new updates cause computer to freeze up: You just installed updates KB2467173 KB 4580980 KB4023057 and now it always freezes up after various lengths of short time?????? so now what do I do?????...
  6. New Update causing My laptop screen to flash white on the whole screen when started up

New Update causing My laptop screen to flash white on the whole screen when started up: I recently decided to install the feature update for windows and after restarting my laptop I noticed that when I moved my mouse it started to flash a bright white and when nothing on the screen moved i just stayed white and the only way to stop it is the restart it or shut...
  7. Windows 10 update: start up and sleep issues caused

Windows 10 update: start up and sleep issues caused: Since the September 2019 Windows 10 update, my computer never starts up first time: I always have to wait for it not to start, turn it completely off and then restart. Apparently, it tries harder the second time and does boot. I have not found this issue reported anywhere...
  8. new update F up my laptop

new update F up my laptop: lost 3h of writing a grant proposal.....not enough memory to say while the update was ****. SH.....T tried update and restart....only 2h of a spinning mess..MS MORE SCHEISSE more often...
  9. New update messes my start menu up

in Windows 10 Support
    New update messes my start menu up: I tested to see if my menu works before I installed the new update, and it was working. After restart for the update I checked it again and it's missing. What is up with these updates that keep removing my start menu? This is getting to be a pain and to think I liked windows...
  10. New Apps Causing Start up Delay Notification

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Apps Causing Start up Delay Notification: I got a notification that some apps I have are delaying my start up time. It seems like 25 seconds is too slow for MS. Strange thing is that none of the apps were MS apps. So I went into settings and stopped all but two MS aps from running in the background. 27841