Windows 10: The occupied space in the drive is more than that of the contents.

Discus and support The occupied space in the drive is more than that of the contents. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] This is a frequent issue with my laptop. The used space is always greater than space actually acquired by the contents of the drive. There... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/MAVE541, Aug 15, 2020.

1. The occupied space in the drive is more than that of the contents.

The occupied space in the drive is more than that of the contents. 8u-CILTeBuKj_fuUK3N9MkPIIWHxokAwoT1ObgcCheQ.jpg

This is a frequent issue with my laptop. The used space is always greater than space actually acquired by the contents of the drive.

There are no hidden files that might be acquiring the space.

This usually happens ( the drive which is talked about above is E ) when I make a windows 7 restore point every month ( I have windows 10) in D drive.

Albeit I include files from the F drive too in the backup, nothing like this happens to it.

One time I ran the chkdsk command for E drive and it got fixed automatically but this time that is not helping.

My normal mechanism of coping with this is moving files to other drives then formatting the E drive then moving the files back (this is awfully tedious).

Please help.

Pleeeezzz.

https://preview.redd.it/ejcugyr2f7h...bp&s=7789e59a70fc4c69852574f421738cd8d3f0c2ac

https://preview.redd.it/lm0i9zr2f7h...bp&s=f731c6a11b838db7d406608b083aacecad4f494a

submitted by /u/MAVE541
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/MAVE541, Aug 15, 2020

2. Contents not visible from J Drive but shows space occupied

I am running Windows10Pro 1607 version. I have two hard disks on my Desktop PC. In the second HardDrive on Partition J - the total space is 199 GB and unutilised space as 189 GB. But when I open this partition, there are no contents visible there. There are two hidden folders namely - 1 Recycle Bin and 2 System Volume Information. Recycle Bin's size is 100 MB and System Vol.Information size is 0. But the space occupied by this Drive(J) is 10GB, out of which only 100MB is occupied by Recycle Bin.
    I want to know what are the other contents that I cannot see there. How to view any other files if it really exists there. Before I format this drive, I want to make it sure that I am not deleting or formatting contents which are important to me. Please help.
    Thanks in advance,
    Ashok K Bagaria

Ashok Kumar Bag, Aug 15, 2020
  3. CountMike Win User
    Contents not visible from J Drive but shows space occupied

Can you post a picture of your disk management ?
    Folders $RECYCLE.BIN and System Volume Information are automatically created when disk/Partition are formatted by windows ever since W7 and maybe Vista.
    $RECYCLE.BIN can be eliminated or size allocated for it changed in bin properties:

The occupied space in the drive is more than that of the contents. [​IMG]

CountMike, Aug 15, 2020
  4. The occupied space in the drive is more than that of the contents.

Space occupied in documents with nothing stored in it

Thanks for the answer. But I am still facing the problem. Actually when I click on the documents icon, it shows the contents of my d drive (The documents folder is also labelled 'D:\'). I tried doing what you had suggested but no new folders popped up in
    the documents folder. I also tried searching for documents in the C drive but could not find any large files. All it showed was several docs in bytes and KBs.

I am also facing the same issue with the apps. In the storage settings of C drive, Apps constitute hardly 200MB (I had deleted most of the apps due to low disk space) but it shows 2.58GB occupied.

I also tried running the disk cleanup but that did not help either.

RohanR3010, Aug 15, 2020
Thema:

The occupied space in the drive is more than that of the contents.

1. The occupied space in the drive is more than that of the contents. - Similar Threads - occupied space drive

2. C: drive is showing more used up space than the space occupied by files combined

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C: drive is showing more used up space than the space occupied by files combined: Recently, My C: drive folder of 255 Gb space is showing 3 Gb space remaining. So, to reduce the space I tried options like disk cleanup, drive optimization, clearing up downloads, uninstalling unused apps, etc. Still, the amount freed up was very marginal. I found this link...
  3. C: drive is showing more used up space than the space occupied by files combined

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C: drive is showing more used up space than the space occupied by files combined: Recently, My C: drive folder of 255 Gb space is showing 3 Gb space remaining. So, to reduce the space I tried options like disk cleanup, drive optimization, clearing up downloads, uninstalling unused apps, etc. Still, the amount freed up was very marginal. I found this link...
  4. C drive is showing more used space than the amount of all the content on the drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C drive is showing more used space than the amount of all the content on the drive: Hi, So my C drive's "blue bar" turned red this morning when i turned on my laptop. It showed that C drive had around 8GB free out of 99GB. I selected all files inside, right clicked and clicked Properties, it was showen that it all was 66GB of space taken and not 91GB. I...
  5. C drive showing more used space than the space occupied by all files inside the drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    C drive showing more used space than the space occupied by all files inside the drive: basically my c drive has 217gb storage ssd of which 103 gb is shown as used space . when I select all the files in c drive and check on properties only 40 gb is shown as size on disk .then i should have have additional 77 gb storage kindly help me windows 10 os...
  6. 3gb space occupied in empty drives

in Windows 10 Customization
    3gb space occupied in empty drives: 3gb space occupied in empty drives if I format it then it is only 107 MB but after some time again it becomes 3 - 4 gb occupied i have enabled show hidden files and folders also but there are no hidden files or folders. I have taken a screenshot of the same Both drive D and...
  7. The occupied space in the drive is more than that of the contents.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The occupied space in the drive is more than that of the contents.: This is a frequent issue with my laptop. The used space is always greater than space actually acquired by the contents of the drive. There are no hidden files that might be acquiring the space. This usually happens the drive which is talked about above is E when I make a...
  8. C Drive showing more space occupied than it adds up to. How to resolve this issue?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    C Drive showing more space occupied than it adds up to. How to resolve this issue?: C drive is showing more space used overnight. Drive went from around 120GB to 778GB used. I know it is wrong. How can I fix it? Tree Size Program says that the page file systems are containing 774.9 GB. How can this happen and what do I do?...
  9. Hard drive used space more than doubled...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hard drive used space more than doubled...: Can't figure this out. Have a Tablet 2 in 1 with W10 and 32GB SSD. Have not installed any programs. A few days ago the size of the used space on he drive was 7.8 now, it is 16.6GB. Any clues? 63598
  10. Contents not visible from J Drive but shows space occupied

in Windows 10 Support
    Contents not visible from J Drive but shows space occupied: I am running Windows10Pro 1607 version. I have two hard disks on my Desktop PC. In the second HardDrive on Partition J - the total space is 199 GB and unutilised space as 189 GB. But when I open this partition, there are no contents visible there. There are two hidden folders...