Windows 10: The old tiles dissapearing on clean installs is back

Discus and support The old tiles dissapearing on clean installs is back in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The old tiles dissapearing on clean installs is back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WWkqa7OHf8 Haven't seen the behavior since February 2020. Last... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by colsearle, Mar 28, 2021.

1. colsearle Win User

The old tiles dissapearing on clean installs is back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WWkqa7OHf8

Haven't seen the behavior since February 2020. Last time it was about a week before clean installs returned to normal.

:)

colsearle, Mar 28, 2021

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Mar 28, 2021
  3. No More Clean-Installs for Vista Upgrades

When users were upgrading to Windows XP, the procedure was that users could simply insert their old Windows 98 or Windows 2000 CD at the appropriate time during a clean install without the need for the old OS to be installed at the time. However, Microsoft has decided to change this for Vista, and now requires a fully installed and activated version of your old OS already on the machine. This comes as an attempt to prevent illegal use of upgrade CDs, but could be inconvenient and time consuming when the time comes to reinstall. The new procedure for a reinstall is as follows:
    • Install your old copy of Windows XP
    • Activate it either online or over the phone
    • Install Vista
    Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Mar 28, 2021
  4. The old tiles dissapearing on clean installs is back

Maxwell and Pascal "secretly" use tile based rasterization

I suspect this is still not full tile based rendering the way ARM Mali does, keeping lists of geometry primitives per tile in each hierarchy level. This seems only tiling of a rasterization step.
    In pipeline after geometry is done, gpu seems to run full pixel shader with full gpu on each first level tile serially from left to right, top to bottom. Second level could be as well done in immediate rasterization mode but coverage pattern using tiny tiles helps with cache hits - remember, maxwell and pascal have multiple levels of cache in their gpu. Tiles must be appropriately sized by driver to ensure best usage of gpu cache.

BiggieShady, Mar 28, 2021
Thema:

1. The old tiles dissapearing on clean installs is back - Similar Threads - old tiles dissapearing

2. My old SSD dissapeared, please help!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My old SSD dissapeared, please help!: I have a prebuild PC that came with a secondary SSD in a NVMe slot. A few days ago, a reinstalled windows keeping my archives, as I did many times before, but after that my SSD dissapeared from Windows. If I open BIOS it shows there, even can see the folders, but later on...
  3. Old folder during clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old folder during clean install: Current version Windows 11 22H2 22621.1848 Public Release non insider account.I just did a clean install back on 04 Jun 23. During install I had Windows delete all partitions off the drive on which I installed it. Today I was looking around on my C drive and noticed that...
  4. Old folder during clean install

Old folder during clean install: Current version Windows 11 22H2 22621.1848 Public Release non insider account.I just did a clean install back on 04 Jun 23. During install I had Windows delete all partitions off the drive on which I installed it. Today I was looking around on my C drive and noticed that...
  5. Clean Install of 11 / Old SSD is MBR

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean Install of 11 / Old SSD is MBR: I need to do a clean install onto an NVMe M.2 2280 and my Win 10 SSD is inadvertently MBR instead of GPT to install from there. Can I use my Win 10 code for fresh install and will the Win 11 ISO/USB be immediately available on the 5th? All else passes for Win 11.Thanks....
  6. Clean Install of 11 / Old SSD is MBR

Clean Install of 11 / Old SSD is MBR: I need to do a clean install onto an NVMe M.2 2280 and my Win 10 SSD is inadvertently MBR instead of GPT to install from there. Can I use my Win 10 code for fresh install and will the Win 11 ISO/USB be immediately available on the 5th? All else passes for Win 11.Thanks....
  7. How do I revert back to the old tile design?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I revert back to the old tile design?: I know this is a dumb question, but how do you switch back to the old tile layout? I don't like the new update, since I have tiles that were separately colored and also the new update positions app icons incorrectly. If there's no way to switch back, I'm rolling back my...
  8. Clean install with old Key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean install with old Key: So I'm helping my buddy build a computer since his bricked and wont boot. I have a windows 10 flash drive to help him install the OS. The only key he has though, is the windows 8 key on the sticker on his tower from when he bought his computer back in 2014 then upgraded to...
  9. Live tiles dissapearing

Live tiles dissapearing: My Live Tiles keep disappearing then only seem to reappear on reboot but eventually they just go. I had Weather, Sports, email, news etc but now only Search and MS Edge are there. Any ideas as to why this is please? 17917
  10. After restart the tiles and icons dissapear in the start menu ???

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    After restart the tiles and icons dissapear in the start menu ???: I have been working with my computer with Windows 7 Pro for manyyears without any problem. My graphics card is the GTX 570 from Asus. It uses Nvidia drivers. After upgrading to Windows 10 i am having problemswith the view of Windows menus and pages. After every restart...