Windows 10: The "Open With" prompt crashes explorer and causes it to restart - any idea on how to fix?

Discus and support The "Open With" prompt crashes explorer and causes it to restart - any idea on how to fix? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/SirNapkin1334 [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/SirNapkin1334, Feb 24, 2020.

1. The "Open With" prompt crashes explorer and causes it to restart - any idea on how to fix?

/u/SirNapkin1334, Feb 24, 2020
  2. vinceip Win User

Explorer Crash FIX!

Our old Dell Inspiron N5110 got this problem also.
    Taskbar keeps refreshing. Thanks many hints from guys above pointed me the direction to fix it.
    From Reliability History Monitor I found Explorer keeps crashing because of IDTNC64.CPL (type reliability history at Start)
    1. the issue was from IDTNC64.cpl, the sound driver,
    but I could not successfully to uninstall it from device manager nor control panel or rename the file or the folder.
    2. uninstalled High Definition Audio Device few times, problem remain
    3. tried to uninstall within Control Panel > Program file, yet Control Panel only open 2, 3 seconds then closed automatically.
    4. finally solved Control Panel shut down problem by going to msconfig>services>and disable Windows Error Reporting Service. see below sequence:
    Click window + R keys, type msconfig, Enter to open msconfig, click Services Tag and look for Windows Error Reporting Service. Unchecked it, then apply, ok then reboot system when it suggests.
    5. After this, open Control Panel by clicking Start > type Control Panel. Then my Control Panel open and stay put, won't shut down by itself.
    6. In Control Panel > Programs > I found IDT Audio and successfully to uninstall it.
    7. No more taskbar refresh or Windows Explore shut down after uninstalled IDT and Sound still works great!!!
    8. repeat step 4 to check Windows Error Reporting Services by clicking it. OK then follow system suggestion to reboot.
    9. Control Panel still able to open and remain open. Sound still works and no more refresh.
    10. From Reliability History monitor found no more Windows Explorer crashing.
    I am happy and hope above steps help

vinceip, Feb 24, 2020
  3. Windows 10 crashes when opening explorer

Did you shut off auto restart?

Did you run sfc /scannow?

You said that opening explorer causes crash. Great you can watch but does explorer still cause crash?

Does explorer cause crash in safe mode?

Did you create memtest tool?

Not to be difficult but you need to post things that you doing and ideas you've worked through so we can cross them off list to get to root cause.

Thanks

Caledon Ken, Feb 24, 2020
  4. The "Open With" prompt crashes explorer and causes it to restart - any idea on how to fix?

Opening any folder causes the Explorer to restart

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: If you're having problems locating specific files, folders, or other items on your computer, try using the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to fix the problem. It
    makes sure that the Windows Search service is running, and checks to see whether you have the correct permissions to search all the directories on your computer.

• Go to Control Panel. In the search box.
    • Typetroubleshooter, and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Click View all, and then click
      Search and Indexing.
    • Follow the onscreen instructions and check if it helps.

Method 2: I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly
    follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Feb 24, 2020
Thema:

The "Open With" prompt crashes explorer and causes it to restart - any idea on how to fix?

1. The "Open With" prompt crashes explorer and causes it to restart - any idea on how to fix? - Similar Threads - Open prompt crashes

2. Any idea on a fix?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Any idea on a fix?: My computer completly freezes for a couple of seconds and my audio turns off for a few seconds aswell. A few seconds later everything gets connected back and my computer unfreezes. It happens whenever no matter what I'am doing. But when im playing rust im gettting an error...
  3. Any idea on a fix?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Any idea on a fix?: My computer completly freezes for a couple of seconds and my audio turns off for a few seconds aswell. A few seconds later everything gets connected back and my computer unfreezes. It happens whenever no matter what I'am doing. But when im playing rust im gettting an error...
  4. Any idea what's causing this?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any idea what's causing this?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Spectre696 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/heqf6o/any_idea_whats_causing_this/
  5. Any idea how to fix this.?

Any idea how to fix this.?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/varanofficial [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hclw0u/any_idea_how_to_fix_this/
  6. Any idea what’s causing this and how to fix it?

Any idea what’s causing this and how to fix it?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/quantumking_ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hbtbbr/any_idea_whats_causing_this_and_how_to_fix_it/
  7. Any idea how to fix this??

Any idea how to fix this??: [ATTACH] So I was having fun playing rainbow six and after i quit to desktop.Boom,suddenly my shortcut turns out to be like this any idea how i can fix it back to normal?...
  8. Any ideas how to fix this?

Any ideas how to fix this?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/tgmcniff [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ehmiq6/any_ideas_how_to_fix_this/
  9. Annoying Explorer lag, any idea how to fix this?

Annoying Explorer lag, any idea how to fix this?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Swizzdoc [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/efup8w/annoying_explorer_lag_any_idea_how_to_fix_this/
  10. Any ideas how to fix?

Any ideas how to fix?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/jenowagner [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dpd4kq/any_ideas_how_to_fix/