Windows 10: "The parameter is incorrect" error messag even after in-place upgrade.

Discus and support "The parameter is incorrect" error messag even after in-place upgrade. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've read many similar posts on various, and tried just about everything I could find in them. Yet still, every time I try to run an app in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RedshiftVel, Jul 29, 2020.

1. "The parameter is incorrect" error messag even after in-place upgrade.

I've read many similar posts on various, and tried just about everything I could find in them. Yet still, every time I try to run an app in the "WindowsApps" folder, I get this error message. I can, however, manually go into the folder and tun the executables directly.

Rough list of what I've tried:
    • Various disk check utilities (sfc, DSIM, etc.)
    • Taking ownership of the WindowsApps folder
    • Reinstalling Windows via an in-place upgrade
    • Re-registering all store apps
    I don't know what else to try at this point. Any help would be much appreciated.

:)

RedshiftVel, Jul 29, 2020
  2. JustMetis Win User

parameter is incorrect

On Windows 10 when I try to create a list of all files of a particular type, I get this message during the search: "The parameter is incorrect."

I have run chkdsk and sfc and find no problems. It happens more frequently when the drive being searched is an external USB drive, but also happens on the local disk. There is no explanation of *what* parameter is incorrect.

Creation of the list (a txt file) completes, with no appearance of the error messge... but I don't know if all files were found or not. Typically, this message is given when I search for a filetype of which I know there are more than 100... with the rate being
    about twice per hundred files.
    Example of the searches:

dir *.css /S>_allCSS.txt

dir *.html /S>_allHTML.txt
    Over the weekend I tried this on 14 different systems, with different external drives. Same result. Oddly (maybe?), no such message is given when running the search on a NAS drive (tried 2 different ones), but the search takes considerably longer on the
    NAS drives.

Does anybody know what causes this bizarre detail-free error message?

Any assistance greatly appreciated!

JustMetis, Jul 29, 2020
  3. Haravikk Win User
    Enabling Bitlocker: The parameter is incorrect

I'm trying to enable Bitlocker on a Windows 10 system, however I'm not even getting past the "Shrinking drive C:" step.

The typically unhelpful error message is "The parameter is incorrect" and... unfortunately that's all the information I've been able to gather. I've searched for the error but only found threads about decryption problems, not initial setup.

My Windows 10 system was upgraded from Windows 7, not installed clean, however I don't often install programs so it shouldn't have accumulated much cruft.

I'm running Windows 10 in UEFI mode from a GPT partitioned SSD with partitions as follows: EFI (200mb), Windows (140gb, 90gb free), recovery (450mb), Linux (180gb), Shared (160gb).

I intend to run Bitlocker without TPM; I've enabled the additional authentication setting in the group policy, so I can store the key on a USB stick. Though I don't think this should affect setup of the disk.

Any ideas what this "parameter is incorrect" error might indicate? Anything I can do to fix it (besides wiping the partition and/or disk and starting again)?

Haravikk, Jul 29, 2020
  4. suerichar Win User

"The parameter is incorrect" error messag even after in-place upgrade.

incorrect parameters

While attempting to download pictures from my Samsung phone, I received an error message that it couldn't download due to incorrect parameters. How do I fix this?

suerichar, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

"The parameter is incorrect" error messag even after in-place upgrade.

1. "The parameter is incorrect" error messag even after in-place upgrade. - Similar Threads - parameter incorrect error

2. Error 0x80070057: The parameter is incorrect.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error 0x80070057: The parameter is incorrect.: Hello, I have been receiving the interrupted action notifications with some of the Four Edits files when extracting them for use in DaVinci Resolve 18. The message keeps repeating when I extract some of the files: "An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file. If...
  3. Error 0x80070057: The parameter is incorrect.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error 0x80070057: The parameter is incorrect.: Hello, I have been receiving the interrupted action notifications with some of the Four Edits files when extracting them for use in DaVinci Resolve 18. The message keeps repeating when I extract some of the files: "An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file. If...
  4. ROBOCOPY - "The Parameter is incorrect." error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ROBOCOPY - "The Parameter is incorrect." error: I think there's a bug with "robocopy". I have a file, for whatever reason which has an invalid timestamp... but that I believe isn't the issue...K:\>dir IMG_3996.JPG Volume in drive K is photos Volume Serial Number is 0001-0123A Directory of K:\ 01/01/1970 10:49 AM 1,571,541...
  5. ROBOCOPY - "The Parameter is incorrect." error

ROBOCOPY - "The Parameter is incorrect." error: I think there's a bug with "robocopy". I have a file, for whatever reason which has an invalid timestamp... but that I believe isn't the issue...K:\>dir IMG_3996.JPG Volume in drive K is photos Volume Serial Number is 0001-0123A Directory of K:\ 01/01/1970 10:49 AM 1,571,541...
  6. Explorer.exe message "The Parameter is incorrect"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer.exe message "The Parameter is incorrect": Recently installed Windows 11. Using Edge. Now, everytime I log in I am greeted with the message Explorer.exe - The parameter is incorrect. To get rid of it you need to reply ok? I'm looking for a fix since I understand that Explorer is no longer supported....
  7. Explorer.exe message "The Parameter is incorrect"

Explorer.exe message "The Parameter is incorrect": Recently installed Windows 11. Using Edge. Now, everytime I log in I am greeted with the message Explorer.exe - The parameter is incorrect. To get rid of it you need to reply ok? I'm looking for a fix since I understand that Explorer is no longer supported....
  8. The Parameter is incorrect

The Parameter is incorrect: I am getting this notification on startup.How can i fix this ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-parameter-is-incorrect/cce72a1f-2c33-418e-94e7-129f818c9b02
  9. Error 0x80070057: The parameter is incorrect

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error 0x80070057: The parameter is incorrect: please tell me a solution for this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-0x80070057-the-parameter-is-incorrect/1ffd8ddb-55c2-4a76-9d34-55d132b7e429
  10. The parameter is incorrect error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The parameter is incorrect error: I started receiving the following error yesterday and not sure why or how to fix it. C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub_18.1910.1283.0_x64_Bw...\LocalBridge.exe The Parameter is Incorrect....