Windows 10: The power module on my laptop died, so I installed my hard drive in a spare laptop. Now...

Discus and support The power module on my laptop died, so I installed my hard drive in a spare laptop. Now... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; The power module on my laptop died, so I installed my hard drive in a spare laptop. Now Windows is not activated. How can I get it activated? No... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by PhillipAnkerson, Apr 3, 2019.

1. The power module on my laptop died, so I installed my hard drive in a spare laptop. Now...

The power module on my laptop died, so I installed my hard drive in a spare laptop. Now Windows is not activated. How can I get it activated? No error code. Went through troubleshooting with no luck. Tried "Talk to an Agent" which is actually a robot. I had no way of "preparing for a hardware change" as advised. It is still my copy of windows on the same hard drive. Anyone have this issue?

:)

PhillipAnkerson, Apr 3, 2019

2. Laptop hard drive upgrade

To replace a hard drive on a laptop is a little more troublesome than a desktop. 1st as most people here suggest you will need some sort of a backup disk just in case. Also be sure when buying the new Hard Disk is compatible with your model. And i would strongly suggest you install a new system and start from scratch because there are far too many problems that can occur when transferring system files.

scoutingwraith, Apr 3, 2019
  3. Laptop hard drive upgrade

If you ghost the OS from disk to disk with the same system it should work fine. Thing is you have to GHOST the disk, including the MBR or it won't be bootable. Any other normal laptop drive should work as long as the connections the same.

If you cannot make a backup install CD, you'll likely need to locate a windows install CD, unless you can ghost the drive. Thats pretty much your only options atm.

Dippyskoodlez, Apr 3, 2019
  4. The power module on my laptop died, so I installed my hard drive in a spare laptop. Now...

Laptop hard drive upgrade

Yeah but it is a bit of a bummer when i have paid for a genuine copy of windows mce.
    but i do have a copy of vista that i could put in the laptop but i am not too sure it will be good as it is slower on my desktop which i dual boot wwith xp. the spec is

3000+ SEMPRON CPU
    1GB DDR RAM
    40 GB RAM

jamupnorth, Apr 3, 2019
Thema:

The power module on my laptop died, so I installed my hard drive in a spare laptop. Now...

1. The power module on my laptop died, so I installed my hard drive in a spare laptop. Now... - Similar Threads - power module laptop

2. My old laptop got rained and died, i need to move my OS hard drive to new laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My old laptop got rained and died, i need to move my OS hard drive to new laptop: My old laptop got rained and died, i need to move my OS hard drive to new laptop.I have checked the drive using hard drive to USB adaptor and it's OK.But when i plug it to new laptop, booting process failed.It's a BSOD with message: Inaccessible Boot Device.I need is the...
  3. Why is my laptop so slow now?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why is my laptop so slow now?: My laptop isn't the greatest but it's always worked fine but recently it got turned off in the middle of an update and I was forced to factory reset the laptop but now it's running really slow. Apps stop responding when I try to close them, and they take forever to open. I...
  4. Reset my Laptop, now my second hard drive is missing!!!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Reset my Laptop, now my second hard drive is missing!!!: I just reset my PC as I thought it would be a good idea since it was slowing down, and there is a lot of clutter on it. I have 2 hard drives. The C: Drive is the SSD which runs all the essential apps such as Windows. My D: drive was just a normal hard disk which was far...
  5. My laptop's hard drive is gone?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My laptop's hard drive is gone?: I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I might as well. My laptop has 2 drives, and SSD and a Hard Drive. My hard drive suddenly dissipated. It doesn't show up in File Explorer and when I open any files that were on it it says that "The item is missing or we...
  6. i upgraded my laptop hard drive to an ssd.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    i upgraded my laptop hard drive to an ssd.: i upgraded my laptop hard drive to an ssd. after 2 months it crashed saying i have an illegal copy of microsoft office. I have the disks for office, what can I do to fix this?...
  7. signing on to my spare laptop

signing on to my spare laptop: I forgot my password to sign on to my spare laptop. The laptop tells me I can sign in with my Microsoft password, but that doesn't work. Running Win 10. any suggestions?...
  8. My Hard drive died

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My Hard drive died: My hard drive in my laptop failed . I'm having to replace the drive. I have the windows 10 home on a USB from when the disability desk helped me recover my laptop from malware. I think the hard drive was damaged from the infection because whole sectors were corrupted after...
  9. Is my hard drive dying?

Is my hard drive dying?: My system has an SSD boot drive and a secondary internal hard drive. The hard drive is assigned drive letter E. I use it for general storage, downloads, etc. Starting today the system hangs at boot time on SATA Port 6 - which is where the hard drive is connected. If I...
  10. How safe is it to install it on a spare drive in my PC?

in Windows 10 Support
    How safe is it to install it on a spare drive in my PC?: Hey all, I've had a spare SSD laying around so I decided to pop it into my case and install the Technical Preview on it. I read up on how it's safer to use it in a VM and that it's dangerous to install it onto a drive, but I think that's more pointed at people who...