Windows 10: The recent change to the search function in explorer?

Discus and support The recent change to the search function in explorer? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So up until what I assume is one of the most recent windows updates (didnt catch it until now) i used the explorer search function quite extensively.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by klepp0906, Oct 28, 2019.

1. klepp0906 Win User

The recent change to the search function in explorer?

So up until what I assume is one of the most recent windows updates (didnt catch it until now) i used the explorer search function quite extensively.

It allowed for wrapping something in double quotes to narrow down particular words, or leading with ~= to get an exact phrase.

That functionality seems to have been ripped out as they made the switch to a more "universal" style with the search box.

any way to get this back outside of using some kinda indexing third party app which id prefer not to have to resort to.

:)

klepp0906, Oct 28, 2019

2. setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Oct 28, 2019
  3. WINDOWS EXPLORER SEARCH FUNCTION

Just a follow up to my original question. None of the suggestions have helped. Explorer Search function still just searches forever with no results. Thanks, Harry

HarrySwihart, Oct 28, 2019
  4. The recent change to the search function in explorer?

Pinned & Recent Folder Missing From Explorer in Start

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that the quick access and recently oped files option are missing. We will assist you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps given below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Open File explorer.
    • Click on View and then Options.
    • Choose Folder and search options.
    • Under General Tab and under Privacy, make sure to place a check mark on Show recently used files and recently used folder in Quick access.
    Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Oct 28, 2019
Thema:

The recent change to the search function in explorer?

1. The recent change to the search function in explorer? - Similar Threads - recent change search

2. Search function in Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search function in Explorer: When I search in Explorer for something, i get a list of the files which contain that search item. However, I need to know in which folder those files are and I can't see any way of establishing that without actually opening the files. I want to be able to establish in which...
  3. Search function in Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search function in Explorer: When I search in Explorer for something, i get a list of the files which contain that search item. However, I need to know in which folder those files are and I can't see any way of establishing that without actually opening the files. I want to be able to establish in which...
  4. Search function in Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File Explorer function change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer function change: I frequently copy items from one folder by dragging into the folder address window. If I want to move something to the previous level of folder, I don't have to open another folder but just drag and drop from the folder I'm currently in. This action now gives me a "stop sign"...
  6. lost search function in recent updates.

in Cortana
    lost search function in recent updates.: I recently noticed that the search function in the taskbar stopped working. The taskbar shows search magnifying glass and "Type here to search", but when I enter any text the popup window is totally black. No search results are displayed. The issue seems to have occurred...
  7. Windows Explorer search box not functional

in Cortana
    Windows Explorer search box not functional: This is slightly different to the error reported by others. Most of the time, even earlier today, I could type something into the search box in Windows Explorer. I’m a little annoyed that I now have to click an extra button to get it to search, but that’s not the error....
  8. Windows Explorer Search no longer functioning

in Cortana
    Windows Explorer Search no longer functioning: My windows search has stopped working. It cannot find any files. For example, if I go to C:\Temp and try to find a file called example.txt it cannot find the file nor any other file. If I go to Index Options, the dialog is blank and although it says waiting to receive...
  9. Search functionality within File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search functionality within File Explorer: I read a post from 2017 stating that the functionality to default search preference to "current folder" within the File Explorer is not possible. Has this since changed as it has now been 2 years and it is actually very frustrating to navigate through endless files or have...
  10. Windows Explorer search functionality not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer search functionality not working: Cannot get result when we do a simple file search. Some times it keeps loading and sometimes get blank result https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-explorer-search-functionality-not-working/d81249cd-84b1-40db-98c1-561d30d0537c