Windows 10: The Recent Files section of File Explorer allows me to open files from a locked,...

Discus and support The Recent Files section of File Explorer allows me to open files from a locked,... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have an USB-powered external hard drive connected to my Windows 10 computer. One of the partitions on the hard drive is Bitlocker protected,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/coip, Feb 14, 2020.

1. /u/coip Win User

The Recent Files section of File Explorer allows me to open files from a locked,...

I have an USB-powered external hard drive connected to my Windows 10 computer. One of the partitions on the hard drive is Bitlocker protected, requiring a password to access. If I thereafter lock the drive or restart the computer (thereby re-locking the drive automatically), the partition cannot be accessed, as one would expect.

However, if I open File Explorer, there is a of twenty recently opened files (e.g. pictures, documents, etc.) in a section called "Recent files". If I double click on these files--for example, a .jpg or .png file--it will open up and display them even though the file location is on the locked, Bitlocker-protected partition on the external hard drive. How do I prevent that from happening?

submitted by /u/coip
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/coip, Feb 14, 2020
  2. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Feb 14, 2020
  3. eidairaman1, Feb 14, 2020
  4. slozomby Win User

The Recent Files section of File Explorer allows me to open files from a locked,...

Recent File List

to prevent it from autopopulating try making the reg key
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List read only

slozomby, Feb 14, 2020
Thema:

1. The Recent Files section of File Explorer allows me to open files from a locked,... - Similar Threads - Recent Files section

2. [SECURITY] File names and file thumbnails from locked BitLocker drive visible in Recent section

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [SECURITY] File names and file thumbnails from locked BitLocker drive visible in Recent section: This issue was previously mentioned in this thread, however the provided response was not an answer to the question being asked.There is a clear security issue regarding BitLocker drives. After locking the drive via: manage-bde -lock -ForceDismount x:the file names and...
  3. [SECURITY] File names and file thumbnails from locked BitLocker drive visible in Recent section

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    [SECURITY] File names and file thumbnails from locked BitLocker drive visible in Recent section: This issue was previously mentioned in this thread, however the provided response was not an answer to the question being asked.There is a clear security issue regarding BitLocker drives. After locking the drive via: manage-bde -lock -ForceDismount x:the file names and...
  4. File Explorer locks up in Home section

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer locks up in Home section: When select File Explorer it goes to Home and say working on it but nothing happens and it locks up. If I right click on the icon and select anything else it seems to work...
  5. File Explorer locks up in Home section

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer locks up in Home section: When select File Explorer it goes to Home and say working on it but nothing happens and it locks up. If I right click on the icon and select anything else it seems to work...
  6. Onedrive Personal vault files open from explorer's recent files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive Personal vault files open from explorer's recent files: I have recently noticed that recently opend files from the onedrive personal vault can be opened from explorer recent files, despite the vault being locked. I my opinion that does not seem like a secure functionality Any explanation?...
  7. Recently opened word file not showing up in File Explorer Quick Access Recent Files

Recently opened word file not showing up in File Explorer Quick Access Recent Files: Running Windows 10 Home Every file word, excel, pdf, jpeg, etc that I open shows up in my "File Explorer Quick Access Recent Files" list, except one. It's a Word file .docx and I have other files of the same type in my list. Any thoughts on why? Thanks, David...
  8. OneDrive not allowing me to open files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    OneDrive not allowing me to open files: Hi, for some reason I no longer can open any files in my one drive on my Laptop from File Manager no issues before So far I have uninstalled and reinstalled OneDrive, rebooted many times. When I go on-line, I can access files, but when using my file manager I get the...
  9. Files explorer downloads section is showing recent downloads

Files explorer downloads section is showing recent downloads: I just recently updated windows and when I did the downloads section of the files explorer shows only recent files, previously it showed all my personal files in alphabetical order, Does anyone know how to change it back?...
  10. File Explorer and Recent Files

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer and Recent Files: At work, I'll open files on a network path that is only accessible at work, e.g. \\mywork.org\shares\file.xyz These files will appear in my recent list when opening File Explorer (Win+E). The problem I have is at home where that network path is not accessible, and the...