Windows 10: The relationship between My Documents and One Drive

Discus and support The relationship between My Documents and One Drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I recently started using one drive on my new laptop because I believe its a great idea to back up all my data with minimal effort my end.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JackHasFriends, Jan 5, 2019.

1. The relationship between My Documents and One Drive

Hello,

I recently started using one drive on my new laptop because I believe its a great idea to back up all my data with minimal effort my end. Things have been going great for the most part. My only gripe with how it all works is what I will detail here.

See the problem is that plenty of programs and games automatically dump their files, cashes, settings and savegames in the My Documents folder. This is a problem to me only because it automatically syncs that stuff to my One Drive taking up space I've paid for. I'd rather have a little more control over what I back up if I'm honest, and I can't help but feel like the program developers and Microsoft don't have a good relationship as a result of blunders like this.

On my old laptop this was solved by simply making a sub-folder called "Actually My Documents" with my actual documents in (word docs & PDFs and so on), but as I look back it's silly that should be a solution to the problem. "My Documents" should mean MY Documents and not a dumping ground for auto generated folders and files.

Is there anything Microsoft could do to resolve this? As contacting all of the developers for the various programs is unpractical for me and probably a lot of other people.

:)

JackHasFriends, Jan 5, 2019

2. How to burn a document to a cd in windows 10

Hi Elaine,

To assist you better, answer the below questions

• Are you facing any difficulties to burn a document to a cd?
    • Are you using any third party tool to burn a document to a cd?
    I suggest you to follow below steps to burn cd and check if it helps.

• Insert CD/DVD.
    • Open the CD/DVD drive in File explorer
      icon from the taskbar, copy and paste the required document to the
      CD/DVD drive.
    • Click on Burn a Disc.
    • Follow on the on screen instruction.
    Hope the information was helpful. If you need further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Ashwin V S, Jan 5, 2019
  3. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jan 5, 2019
  4. The relationship between My Documents and One Drive

little cat, Jan 5, 2019
Thema:

The relationship between My Documents and One Drive

1. The relationship between My Documents and One Drive - Similar Threads - relationship between Documents

2. One Drive Took all my Documents to One Drive Help!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One Drive Took all my Documents to One Drive Help!: Last update on Windows 11 I noticed that I no longer have library folders. They all are under OneDrive. Even on the work computer that I only want the one shared folder on. when I try to manually move them back it won't let me move so many of them. This happened on both my...
  3. One Drive Took all my Documents to One Drive Help!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One Drive Took all my Documents to One Drive Help!: Last update on Windows 11 I noticed that I no longer have library folders. They all are under OneDrive. Even on the work computer that I only want the one shared folder on. when I try to manually move them back it won't let me move so many of them. This happened on both my...
  4. Documents and One Drive Desktop

Documents and One Drive Desktop: Hi,Thanks and I know this probably been answered but I apologize for not being able to sort out my issue when bundled with others. So... I get a Documents file folder icon reappearing on my desktop when I restart my computer - I can delete it but it reappears. its file name...
  5. What is the relationship between Microsoft Defender and the devices one can have with their...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the relationship between Microsoft Defender and the devices one can have with their...: I've got several Windows devices: two desktops, a laptop, two Microsoft Surfaces, etc. Recently MIcrosoft made MIcrosoft Defender available for personal use I think associated with MIcrosoft 365 Family Edition. I might have the names or details wrong. So, I started to put...
  6. What is the relationship between Microsoft Defender and the devices one can have with their...

What is the relationship between Microsoft Defender and the devices one can have with their...: I've got several Windows devices: two desktops, a laptop, two Microsoft Surfaces, etc. Recently MIcrosoft made MIcrosoft Defender available for personal use I think associated with MIcrosoft 365 Family Edition. I might have the names or details wrong. So, I started to put...
  7. Files in My Documents and Desktop - relationship

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files in My Documents and Desktop - relationship: Is a file/folder in the Desktop of Windows, just a link to that same file/folder somewhere else in the computer, and if I rearrange files/folders in My Documents relating to the ones in the Desktop likely to effect them? Or are they seperate copies?Thanks...
  8. What is the relationship between Win 10 and the motherboard?

in Windows 10 Support
    What is the relationship between Win 10 and the motherboard?: I've read that in order for some folks to access UEFI/BIOS they need to go through a multi-step process in order to have the POST message displayed long to press whatever their "enter BIOS" key is. This implies to me that the OS is at least communicating on some level with...
  9. Relationship between email address and Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Relationship between email address and Microsoft account: I recently upgraded to Windows 10 a Win 8.1 system running in a virtual machine on my Win 10 laptop. I am unable to sign in. The system displays two identical copies of my userid in the lower left corner of my screen. One of these choices allows me the option of logging...
  10. the trust relationship between this workstation and the domain failed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    the trust relationship between this workstation and the domain failed: I am trying to map to a share on a VMware virtual server and I keep getting the trust relationship between this workstation and the domain failed error message. I have tried every conceivable suggestion on the web to resolve this issue including adding removing the computer...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what is the relationship between user documents and one drive

2. what is the difference between one drive and my pc documents

3. relationship between one drive and computer

4. difference between one drive and documents,
  5. what is the difference between saving in my documents and one drive,
  6. what is the difference between one drive documents and regular documents,
  7. the difference between one drive and this PC documents,
  8. relationship between one drive and this pc,
  9. difference between one drive and my documents and c:\user