Windows 10: "The request is not supported" error on cipher command

Discus and support "The request is not supported" error on cipher command in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, i just want to secure my personal file on my PC using cipher command on cmd. Here i input the command: C:\Windows\system32>cd... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KentzoAr, Aug 20, 2020.

1. KentzoAr Win User

"The request is not supported" error on cipher command

Hi, i just want to secure my personal file on my PC using cipher command on cmd. Here i input the command:

C:\Windows\system32>cd C:\Users\User\Desktop\Yada

C:\Users\User\Desktop\Yada>cipher /e

What i expect:

Encrypting files in C:\Users\User\Desktop\Yada\

Stuff.txt [OK]

1 files [or directories] within 1 directories were encrypted

Reality:

Encrypting files in C:\Users\User\Desktop\Yada\

Stuff.txt [ERR]

Stuff.txt: The request is not supported.

0 files [or directories] within 1 directories were encrypted

Here's my PC's spesification:

Windows edition:

Windows 10 Home

Processor:

AMD A4-9125 RADEON R3, 4 COMPUTE CORES 2C+2G 2,30 GHz

Installed memory RAM: 4,00 GB

System type: 64-bit OS, X64-based processor

I tried multiple times, it didn't work. So if anyone know how to fix this, please reply it

:)

KentzoAr, Aug 20, 2020

2. Cipher Error : The Request is not supported.

Upon trying to use Cipher to do some simple encrypting on my machine I have ran into some issues.

"The request is not supported" error on cipher command [​IMG]

If I execute Cipher.exe from the Command Prompt it seems to be functioning normally and subsequently lists all folders on the current directory with a U in front of them indicating that they are unencrypted, however, when I attempt to encrypt a directory ... or rather the files within it ... I get an error that reads " The request is not supported " beside each file listed in the directory and an overall summery that 0 files were encrypted.

I noticed that there is no Cipher.dll file on my machine, as according to some due diligence research, perhaps should have been. I located the only cipher.dll I could find, however, upon trying to register it I received an error that " the module was downloaded but the entry point DllRegisterServer was not found. I also found an update on Microsoft's website, (KB4032188), that claimed to resolve known Cipher issues, however, was unable to install it on my machine as it kept stating that the update was not applicable to the particular Windows 10 build I am running. I also tried to use TLS 1.0 only and still received the same error. Any ideas?

GenericUser2712, Aug 20, 2020
  3. Ray Soy Win User
    CMD cipher /e on a folder output "Request not supported"

I've recently discovered cipher command on windows-10 command-line.

Now, the problem is when I'm try to execute cipher /e [directory name] or cipher /e [absolute path], because I'm always receiving the error [directory name]: Request not supported..

Some useful info:

• I'm running Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    • I've executed the command as administrator either on 'cmd' and 'powershell'
    • The disk's file system is in 'NTFS'.
    • I've gave all the access to all the users in the 'Security' attribute on the interested folder(An empty folder for test purposes).

Could someone give me a hint/suggestion/solution about where the problem could be? Am I missing something important?

Ray Soy, Aug 20, 2020
  4. bineshtk Win User

Cipher suite mismatch error

I have WCF service and a client accessing that service hosted on the same production machine(Windosw Server 2016 build)

) for testing purposes, but when the client pings the server, the call ends with an error:
    Could not establish secure channel for SSL/TLS with authority 'ServerName: Port'.

When I checked the event logs, I found the following error

An unknown connection request was received from a remote client application, but none of the cipher suites supported by the client application are supported by the server. The TLS connection request has failed. (SChannel - 36874)

I tried enabling/disabling SSL, TLS security on the machine, but still not able to solve the issue.

Is there any registry key I need to set to add specific Cipher Suite to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance

bineshtk, Aug 20, 2020
Thema:

1. "The request is not supported" error on cipher command - Similar Threads - request supported error

2. Error on Cipher Command

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error on Cipher Command: Hi, there!I made a few attempts to encrypt a folder, but the command keeps on returning the same error message: "...The request is not supported".The folder I want to encrypt is located in a USB drive. Here's the command I've entered: cipher /e D:/TestThe entire path reads:...
  3. Error on Cipher Command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error on Cipher Command: Hi, there!I made a few attempts to encrypt a folder, but the command keeps on returning the same error message: "...The request is not supported".The folder I want to encrypt is located in a USB drive. Here's the command I've entered: cipher /e D:/TestThe entire path reads:...
  4. Error on Cipher Command

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to generate a CSR that supports ECDHE ciphers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to generate a CSR that supports ECDHE ciphers: Been scratching my head on how I can generate a self-singed certificate in a server without a CA that will support these ciphers. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-generate-a-csr-that-supports-ecdhe-ciphers/b95faa84-46a3-4f91-b775-db9f49a31e63
  6. Cipher command on cmd not working

Cipher command on cmd not working: [ATTACH] When I try to use the cipher command on cmd, this happens. Can anyone help? I am using windows 10 home edition https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cipher-command-on-cmd-not-working/284fa5fd-7158-4303-a9e0-394f7a00fed8
  7. The request is not supported error.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The request is not supported error.: Hi I am recently facing the request is not supported error when ever I start my laptop. On mostly all of the apps and software in my system. Like Xbox app or skype or teams with the error saying not supported or error and not opening up. Even my command prompt is not opening...
  8. Windows 10 Cipher Command

Windows 10 Cipher Command: Is running cipher /w:C: completely safe and wipes deleted files? Is there a risk on running this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-cipher-command/5e447e0e-3104-42f3-b969-5d05278d49ee
  9. Cipher Error : The Request is not supported.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cipher Error : The Request is not supported.: Upon trying to use Cipher to do some simple encrypting on my machine I have ran into some issues. [img] If I execute Cipher.exe from the Command Prompt it seems to be functioning normally and subsequently lists all folders on the current directory with a U in front of...
  10. Error 50: The Request is not supported

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Error 50: The Request is not supported: I noticed that Superfetch service is not loading any more even being set in "Auto". I tried manually to load it, but i get the error: Windows Could not start the superfetch on local computer. Error 50: The Request is not supported Windows 10 is up to date and i have...