Windows 10: The restore system fails.

Discus and support The restore system fails. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When I try to restore my system to a preview, the system starts the restore process, when I login again to finish the restore process, I get this error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by matias---, Mar 13, 2022.

1. matias--- Win User

The restore system fails.

When I try to restore my system to a preview, the system starts the restore process, when I login again to finish the restore process, I get this error

:)

matias---, Mar 13, 2022
  2. Mark Isi Win User

Failed to complete System Restore

Hello Passegua,

The error code 0x80070005 may indicate a few things that are causing System Restore Failure. It could be corrupted system files, conflict with other programs such as Anti-virus protection, and etc. As a first troubleshooting step, we suggest
    that you perform System restore in Safe Mode. Kindly refer to this link for more information and steps.

Another step that I can suggest is Clean Boot, if the above step fails.

Let us know the outcome.

Mark Isi, Mar 13, 2022
  3. glivo Win User
    System Restore fails: AppxStaging %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApp 0x80070091

Steps taken.
    Part 1/
    Install W10. User -Test (No additional updates. No OEM drivers)
    Create Restore Point -"Pristine"
    Make a system alteration. ie; D/L and Install Google Chrome.
    System Restore to RP "Pristine". (Note: Chrome should be gone.)
    Successful. Chrome is gone and Edge reset. ??? Chromesetup file removed from \downloads??? Why???
    New Restore Point - "Undo Restore" created by system.

Step 2/
    D/L and install KB3213986. Reboot.
    Make a system alteration. ie; D/L and Install Google Chrome.
    Create Restore Point - "Update 1 Chrome"
    Make a system alteration. Uninstall Chrome.
    System Restore. (Note: Chrome should come back but may not work correctly.)
    Fail. 0x80070091

To me that represents a conclusive result.

The next obvious thing to do was to roll back the Update, assuming that this will fix System Restore. However, rolling back the Update DID NOT restore the functionality of System Restore. So now my confident claim, above, is a bit shaky. If performing the update does in fact cause the issue, removing it doesn't put it right.

So now, the next obvious thing is to perform the WindowsApps rename or deletion process, to apply the fix, and run a series of testing to see if System Restore becomes stable.

Results.
    Performing the WindowsApps rename fix, instead of deleting it this time, once again resulted in System Restore operating correctly. I have been able to install the remaining updates and flip back and forth between Restore Points without issue.

At this point I am done with it. My testing shows that:
    • It is update KB3213986 that causes the problem to occur in the first instance.
    • Rolling back the update does not correct the problem.
    • Performing the known fix returns System Restore functionality.
    • For how long, we don't yet know.

Should you wish to rename the WindowsApps directory rather than delete it, the attrib WindowsApps -h command line can only be performed after the icacls command line.

glivo, Mar 13, 2022
  4. graye Win User

graye, Mar 13, 2022
Thema:

1. The restore system fails. - Similar Threads - restore system fails

2. System failed to do system restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System failed to do system restore: I made some changes to registry settings without enough knowledge but before that I ensure that I made a restore point in my system after restart I dont like the changes I made and im afraid it will cause further issues so I want to perform system restore in my computer...
  3. System failed to do system restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System failed to do system restore: I made some changes to registry settings without enough knowledge but before that I ensure that I made a restore point in my system after restart I dont like the changes I made and im afraid it will cause further issues so I want to perform system restore in my computer...
  4. System Restore Failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Restore Failed: In the morning i performed a windowsblootware command it created a system restore after that i wanted to go in the previous state i tried alot but it shows system restore didn't complete successfully and any of system restore isnt working i dont want to reboot the pc as it...
  5. System Restore Failed

System Restore Failed: In the morning i performed a windowsblootware command it created a system restore after that i wanted to go in the previous state i tried alot but it shows system restore didn't complete successfully and any of system restore isnt working i dont want to reboot the pc as it...
  6. System Restore Failed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. The restore system fails.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The restore system fails.: When I try to restore my system to a preview, the system starts the restore process, when I login again to finish the restore process, I get this error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-restore-system-fails/dd5edb02-bdfc-480c-b89d-dd5d81495d1e
  8. The restore system fails.

The restore system fails.: When I try to restore my system to a preview, the system starts the restore process, when I login again to finish the restore process, I get this error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-restore-system-fails/dd5edb02-bdfc-480c-b89d-dd5d81495d1e
  9. System restore failed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System restore failed: Hey friends I do not know if this is the appropriate forum, if not let me know I am trying to do system restore but without success When the restore is complete, the message appears: System recovery failed to replace the file Then the file name appears:...
  10. System restore failing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System restore failing: Im running the latest version of Windows 10 and whenever I try to do a system restore I get this error: “System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and Settings were not changed. Details: System Restore failed to extract the original copy of...