Windows 10: The results are in, x86 vs x64

Discus and support The results are in, x86 vs x64 in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Not sure where to put this so if its in the wrong place please move it. Been testing my machine (see specs) with PC Mark 8 Home on my dual boot SSD.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by banger, Jan 30, 2016.

1. banger Win User

The results are in, x86 vs x64

Not sure where to put this so if its in the wrong place please move it.

Been testing my machine (see specs) with PC Mark 8 Home on my dual boot SSD. According to PC Mark the score for x86 on the home test the score is 2004 and using win 10 x64 the score is 2190. So I am switching to my x64 os for my main os.

Opinions?

Tim

:)

banger, Jan 30, 2016

2. Windows 10 Home 64 Inaccessible Boot Device after update

Hi,

AMD64 is the name for the 64-bit instruction set the x64 Windows runs on. It just happens to be AMD who invented the 64-bit x86 instruction set. It is unrelated to the AMD vs Intel CPU hardware.

Regards.

Rolando Vil, Jan 30, 2016
  3. Mafubu Win User
    a trojan via the official MediaCreationTool tool is that possible ?

Hi again. Just wanted to add that I tried creating a standalone x64 USB installer with a fresh copy of the Media Creation Tool and everything ran to completion without issue. However, when creating a combined x64/x86 USB installer, sure enough Defender popped
    up again with a Trojan warning. Same thing with creating another standalone x86 USB installer. But creating another standalone x64 USB installer right afterwards again showed nothing.

When the Media Creation Tool is downloading the files necessary for creating the x86 install media, Defender is happy. However, shortly after the tool begins the final step of actually writing the installation files to media (whether ISO or USB), Defender
    suddenly throws a fit.

Looks like Defender doesn't like something about the x86 installation files the media tool writes to ISO/USB. As a result, both standalone x86 and combined x64/x86 install media is affected.

Fortunately, standalone x64 media is fine.

Mafubu, Jan 30, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Of course one would expect some performance gain for 64bit over 32bit, especially for memory hungry programs as 32bit is limited to 4GB Ram, and would need to pagefile to slower disk memory in some cases.

In addition, you can do eufi installs.

The only reason for using 32bit really is because pc is too old to handle 64bit or only have limited memory.

Some tablets use 32bit installs even though cpu is 64bit compatible, as they have limited disk space and memory.

cereberus, Jan 30, 2016
  5. If the pc or laptop can run win 64 bit its silly not too.
    I have been only on windows 64 bit since 2007 with no real problems.
    the first month I swapped over there was 1 driver and the odd program that I had to wait a few weeks for them to issue updates.
    that was back in 07 those, these days it well covered.

shakennstirred, Jan 31, 2016
  6. WHS
    whs Win User
    Does it really matter. Those are just nums.

Thema:

1. The results are in, x86 vs x64 - Similar Threads - results are x86

2. x86 or x64 processor help please

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    x86 or x64 processor help please: Hi I'm trying to change my PC from 32bit to 64 to utilise the new 12GB Ram. Recently updated from 7 to 10.I understand I need x64 based processor to do this. I'm stuck because I have the following conflicting info.In system information it says PC based on x86: But About PC...
  3. Issue with apps store and x86 and x64 icons!

in Cortana
    Issue with apps store and x86 and x64 icons!: Hi guys I have problem with store apps icons which is the icons are shown in start menu but when I search'em in searching and indexing part the icons are not shown properly I mean they are like this: [ATTACH] And this looks good in start menu: [ATTACH] I have the same...
  4. Upgrade x86 to x64 Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrade x86 to x64 Windows 10: Hey folks, I'm about to upgrade an x86 win 10 to x64, do I need to know my license key? I have read online that I shouldn't need to as its already licensed, but I've also read people who've had to input it again. I've had no luck locating the installation DVD, must have...
  5. Upgrading from x86 to x64, activated x86 win 10 pro key invalid for x64 win 10 pro.

Upgrading from x86 to x64, activated x86 win 10 pro key invalid for x64 win 10 pro.: So, I've gone through hell to make bootable media to install x64 version of windows... I had previously downloaded a 64-bit version of windows 10 pro on an external drive As a backup version of windows incase of disaster. It helped once while it lasted with huge success and...
  6. Not able to change x86 windows to x64

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Not able to change x86 windows to x64: Hey guys im using a 32 bit os on 64 bit processor but my pc wont allow me to change it . Pls help me.Im stuck with a staggering amount of hardware reserved ram as well.[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  7. Calculator pre-title vs result...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Calculator pre-title vs result...: Hi fellas, I tried to find Microsoft contact, but finally, I can't find so write here... I got confused so I decided to share with you this bug? Pre-title: 96+5*9 Answer: 909 Expected: 141 Maybe it's ok, for the company strategy, but I don't like this, and it makes...
  8. Office 2019 migrate from x86 to x64?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 2019 migrate from x86 to x64?: Hi. I just upgraded from Office 2010 to 2019 (Pro Plus). However, as I upgraded, I got 2019 x86 and I would rather have x64 unless it proves to hard to migrate. So, the question - is it possible to migrate from x86 to x64 without loosing anything in the process? If so, how?...
  9. Wndows 10 x86,x86 based PC but x64 based processor,can it go x64

in Windows 10 Support
    Wndows 10 x86,x86 based PC but x64 based processor,can it go x64: Hello, I have a 32 bit windows 10 and x86 based pc but x64 based processor,originally it was a windows 10 64 bit and x64 based pc but my hard drive broke and got bad sector,it got fixed my a computer fixer but he installed 32 bit instead of 64 bit,i have a windows 10 x64...
  10. X86 to X64 architecture

X86 to X64 architecture: A friend's computer was updated from Windows 7 Ultimate X86 to Windows 10 X86. I noticed that his system is X64 based architecture. Can he do a clean install/reinstall from X86 to X64 without losing his activation? If so, how? Thank you in advance. 54151