Windows 10: The saga of installing Windows 10 on a desktop.

Discus and support The saga of installing Windows 10 on a desktop. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is a summary of the 9 hours spent on installing Windows 10 Pro upgrade with a USB boot and install, to acquaint myself with the new features.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ineuw, Aug 2, 2015.

1. ineuw Win User

The saga of installing Windows 10 on a desktop.

This is a summary of the 9 hours spent on installing Windows 10 Pro upgrade with a USB boot and install, to acquaint myself with the new features.

The installation was on a 32 bit desktop with 2 GB DDR2 of RAM, with an Intel Duo processor @ 2.4 GHz, a standard BIOS, and a registered copy of Windows 7 Pro.

Downloaded the ISO, rather than wait for their notification (I qualified).

Got my Windows 7 product key on hand to install Windows 10.

Learned that the file system of the USB depends on the boot type.

a.) If it's a BIOS or a hybrid BIOS & UEFI boot system. This requires the USB key to be formatted as NTFS !

b.) If it's UEFI or GPT boot system, it requires the USB to be formatted as FAT32 ! - This is not a mistake, just strange.

After formatting the USB to NTFS, I used RUFUS USB creator to copy the ISO to the USB. (UnetBootin didn't work for me).

I left the C: drive (80 GB) as is, with Windows 7 installed, rather than reformatting the drive. There is no data stored on the C: drive. The installation moved Windows 7 a folder named Windows.old. This was for restoring the old system.

At the start of the install, it requested my product key and rejected it.

At this point I decided to abort the installation and selected to revert to the previous OS, but another MS miracle it ignored my command and proceeded with the install.

The OS installation insists on using the email account, username, and password of any Microsoft services, like Live, Hotmail, Outlook, or Skype to be the login and password of Windows.

After install, tried several times to register my product key with no success, so decided to test Windows 10 as is, and see what the hoopla is about.

I learned immediately that 2 GB of RAM is insufficient for Windows 10. The actions were noticeably sluggish compared to Windows 7. (an SSD boot drive would have been better). I tested some of the built offerings and the installed some applications.

Being a Mozilla products fan, I was curious to see how the new MS Edge browser works. It looks exactly as IE 11, perhaps it is faster than the old IE11, but didn't linger much to test it thoroughly since I never liked IE of any version.

So, installed Firefox, Thunderbird, TextPad text editor, and made some changes to suit my old work environment.

The W10 search feature searches the computer and the web which means that it activates Firefox, being the default browser but uses Bing to search the web. (DDG is my default search engine).

Be prepared for another bout of the usual Microsoft changes, rearrangements, dropped features, and a lot of time wasted to finding the solutions to features used in Windows 7.

After of about 2 hours of use, realized that I wasn't ready to re-learn everything. So, I rebooted the computer with the 32 bit Windows 7 repair disk, which found the mirror backup tucked away instantly, and after about 25 minutes I was back to using Windows 7.

:)

ineuw, Aug 2, 2015

2. Windows 10 apps

I have windows 10 candy crush saga is pre installed in it but now I do not have candy crush saga

shumailawaheed, Aug 2, 2015
  3. I have windows 10 in my pc I hear that candy crush is pre installed in windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest on Windows 10.

I would like to inform you that candy crush is not pre installed in Windows 10.However, if you want to install it you can download it form Windows store.

Please refer the article below:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/candy-crush-saga/9nblggh18846

you can also refer the articles below:

Candy Crush Saga coming to Windows 10 - Windows Experience Blog

Candy Crush Saga is Coming to Windows 10

Please get back to us with windows related queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Amrita Bhattacharjee, Aug 2, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

@ ineuw :

Welcome to tenforums.com! *Smile

That is quite a saga! *Wink Don't feel bad though, most of us here have been fooling around with W10 for 8 or 9 months and still find it mind boggling! *Smile

Edwin, Aug 2, 2015
  5. ineuw Win User
    Don't feel bad at all. The post was to make others aware of some of the obstacles prior to installation, and hope it helps to be prepared. W10 does have some beautiful features and is very pleasing to the eye, but one must be prepared for some period of weeks (off and on) of learning to be comfortable with the system. In any case I need a new motherboard with more RAM and an SSD boot drive. *Smile

ineuw, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. The saga of installing Windows 10 on a desktop. - Similar Threads - saga installing desktop

2. Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga Installations-Fehler?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga Installations-Fehler?: Holdrio Again, I would like to play an older game but I cannot install it. During the installation the error data error (CRC check) occurs. If you confirm this you get the message: Error-1603 Heavy Gehler during installation. Do you have any idea how to fix this?...
  3. Start button and Windows 10 failure saga continues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start button and Windows 10 failure saga continues: So I have posted here that we have been having problems with the Start button and most of the functionality of the taskbar, Internet Explorer not working, and other apps that can be only accessed via Run since Start button is not working. I have tried Sf Scan, DISM, and...
  4. candy crush saga

in Windows 10 Gaming
    candy crush saga: I lost my candy crush saga game and desktop icon . reinstalled it I have no desktop icon and have lost all of my progress https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/candy-crush-saga/9339d522-c0be-4736-884c-a696d8520fb2
  5. The Saga that is Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The Saga that is Windows 10: If Microsoft is so concerned about customer satisfaction, why after spending +30 hours troublshooting Win 10 issues do they refuse to provide any form of compensation? Competition is needed here.......
  6. No Candy Crush Saga

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Candy Crush Saga: I thought win 10 supposed to have this game. Installed win 10 utilizing the MS media creation tool. 10961
  7. Candy crush saga

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Candy crush saga: Silly question I know, but is candy crush saga considered a native windows 10 app? It seems to be pre installed on most , if not all, windows 10 machines I’ve encountered 103847
  8. A bit of a saga..

in Windows 10 Support
    A bit of a saga..: Hi all, First time on here, so pleased to meet you all *Smile Went to Win 10 a couple of days after release with no problems at all and had installed several updates over the last month.. Sweet, I thought. Three and a half days ago I did another update with the result...
  9. Candy Crush Soda Saga is here for Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Candy Crush Soda Saga is here for Windows 10: Candy Crush Soda Saga is now available for Windows 10! You can download it for free from the Windows Store, and for a limited time get a great deal on a package of Gold Bars, boosters and two hours of unlimited lives – through October 5. [img] Enjoy all the candies,...
  10. Candy Crush Saga coming to Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Candy Crush Saga coming to Windows 10: Solitaire. Hearts. Minesweeper. These are games that have been played millions of times over the years in Windows. And they are coming back in Windows 10. If you’re a Windows Insider, you can check out a preview of the new Microsoft Solitaire Collection that’s included in the...