Windows 10: The screen won't turn off after closing lid

Discus and support The screen won't turn off after closing lid in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have DELL XPS9310 with Windows 10 Pro 21H2 10.0.19044 Build 19044.1466.When I close the lid, the screen remains on.My usage: I have a secondary 24"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Vítězslav Ferko, Feb 17, 2022.

1. The screen won't turn off after closing lid

I have DELL XPS9310 with Windows 10 Pro 21H2 10.0.19044 Build 19044.1466.When I close the lid, the screen remains on.My usage: I have a secondary 24" display attached and I want to watch a movie on it. During the movie, I want to close the lid so that it does not produce excessive disturbing light.Ideally I want to turn off the display temporarily without having to change project settings from "Extend" to "Second screen only", because that is PITA and rearranges all open windows, start panel, resolution, dpi settings, etc. Then, when I open the lid after the film ends or during it, I want to

:)

Vítězslav Ferko, Feb 17, 2022
  2. Bree Win User

LID close screen still on

Well, it was worth checking.

How long have you had this Asus ROG? Has it ever turned off the screen when the lid is closed?

The last post in this thread suggests it may be a hardware problem, the section starting 'Here's an interesting story about the GL502VS in general' describes a sequence of replacements from Asus, one of which behaved this way. Oddly, the OP actually wanted this behaviour.
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...-lid-is-closed

3. Ruz San Win User
    Laptop restarts after closing the lid

Hi,

It appears that your laptop hibernates when you close its lid. This feature terminates running processes on your machine since it allows the system to use very little power. If
    Do nothing is already selected for Choose what closing the lid does
    in Power Options, let's try to make hibernation unavailable. Follow these steps:

• Right-click on the Windows icon on your home screen.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Click Yes if you get a prompt window.
    • Type powercfg.exe /hibernate off then press Enter.
    See if this will prevent the laptop from hibernating when you close the lid.

Let us know how it turns out.

Ruz San, Feb 17, 2022
  4. The screen won't turn off after closing lid

Screen turn off when "closed".

Hi Erik,

To address your concern regarding your screen turning off when it's closed, kindly follow the troubleshooting steps below:

• Press Windows key + x on your keyboard.
    • Select Control Panel and click on Hardware and Sound.
    • Under System, click on Power & sleep.
    • Click on Power Options and select Choose what closing the lid does.
    • Go to When I close the lid: and choose Do nothing on both
      On Battery and Plugged in.
    • Click on Save changes.
    Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Robelene Win, Feb 17, 2022
Thema:

The screen won't turn off after closing lid

1. The screen won't turn off after closing lid - Similar Threads - screen won't turn

2. Preven screen turning off when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Preven screen turning off when lid is closed: I am trying to prevent my laptop screen from turning off when the lid closes, I want the lid being closed to have 0 effect on the computer. I went to power plan settings and disabled all of the screen time out things, including setting it to "Do Nothing" when lid closed, yet...
  3. Preven screen turning off when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Preven screen turning off when lid is closed: I am trying to prevent my laptop screen from turning off when the lid closes, I want the lid being closed to have 0 effect on the computer. I went to power plan settings and disabled all of the screen time out things, including setting it to "Do Nothing" when lid closed, yet...
  4. Preven screen turning off when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Turn off laptop display on lid close

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turn off laptop display on lid close: I want my laptop display to turn off when I close the lid with the power connected. This has always been the default, but with Win 11, I cannot find a way to enable this behavior. There is no option in the power settings to turn off the display; only Do Nothing, Hibernate,...
  6. hdmi turns off laptop if lid is closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hdmi turns off laptop if lid is closed: i already tried different tv and hdmi cable, also reinstalled nvidia etc... soo basically i can't use it unless the lid is open, without hdmi, it works, but as soon as i plug it in and close that lid, it turns off after 1 minute, yes i already edited "choose what lid does...
  7. hdmi turns off laptop if lid is closed

hdmi turns off laptop if lid is closed: i already tried different tv and hdmi cable, also reinstalled nvidia etc... soo basically i can't use it unless the lid is open, without hdmi, it works, but as soon as i plug it in and close that lid, it turns off after 1 minute, yes i already edited "choose what lid does...
  8. The screen won't turn off after closing lid

The screen won't turn off after closing lid: I have DELL XPS9310 with Windows 10 Pro 21H2 10.0.19044 Build 19044.1466.When I close the lid, the screen remains on.My usage: I have a secondary 24" display attached and I want to watch a movie on it. During the movie, I want to close the lid so that it does not produce...
  9. Not to turn off laptop when closing lid

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Not to turn off laptop when closing lid: Where can I enable a feature that even if I close the lid on my laptop it doesn't go to sleep. I need this because I'm using an external monitor and it would be really convenient. submitted by /u/KvoDon [link] [comments]...
  10. Laptop turning off when closing lid

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop turning off when closing lid: Hi I've just set up my laptop and monitor via a docking station so I can work from home with a larger screen. however when I shut my laptop it seems to close down and therefore I can't project the screen. I know there is a way of stopping it from doing this but I've gone...