Windows 10: The Search box in File Explorer has changed. Can't search for items by date anymore. Is it...

Discus and support The Search box in File Explorer has changed. Can't search for items by date anymore. Is it... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Ever since the last couple of updates in Windows the Search function in File Explorer has changed. It used to be that when I wanted to do a search in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sparrow5, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Sparrow5 Win User

The Search box in File Explorer has changed. Can't search for items by date anymore. Is it...

Ever since the last couple of updates in Windows the Search function in File Explorer has changed. It used to be that when I wanted to do a search in my Pictures or Documents folder I would click in the Search box in the upper right corner and it would show the last 3 or 4 searches I'd done plus options to search for items saved on a particular date including the option Today. Now when I click in that search box I see a long list of items that I've done searches for in the past and each of these items has a clock icon to the left of them which is useless. There's no longer any option to search by a particular date. Is there any way I can fix this and go back to the old way of searching in my files? That is, can I go back to having the ability to search my files by date? I asked a similar question here a while ago but the answer I received was confusing. I'm hoping someone can help me with an easy to understand solution. Thanks in advance.

:)

Sparrow5, Nov 15, 2020
  2. Xi Zhuang Win User

File explorer search box history dispears after click Quick access

Windows 10 version 20h2

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open file explorer

2. type something in search box

3. clear search box

4. click search box again, you will see a drop down list showing recent search history

5. click the Quick access which is located at the top of file explorer Navigation pane

6. click search box again, it does not show the history list anymore

I have to close file explorer and open it again to get the search history back.

Xi Zhuang, Nov 15, 2020
  3. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Nov 15, 2020
  4. Arul_D Win User

The Search box in File Explorer has changed. Can't search for items by date anymore. Is it...

File Explorer - Search box

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

If you're having problems locating specific files, folders, or other items on your computer, try using the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to fix the problem. It makes sure that the Windows Search service is running, and checks
    to see whether you have the correct permissions to search all the directories on your computer.

I would suggest you to try the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Go to Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click
    Troubleshooting. Click View all, and then click
    Search and Indexing.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to reset the Windows explorer. Please follow the steps:

1. Press
    Ctrl + Shift + Esc and locate for Windows Explorer.

2. Right click on the
    Windows Explorer and click on End task.

3. On top of the Task Manager click on
    File and click on Run new task.

4. Type
    explorer.exe inside the box and hit Enter.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Arul_D, Nov 15, 2020
Thema:

1. The Search box in File Explorer has changed. Can't search for items by date anymore. Is it... - Similar Threads - Search box File

2. File Explorer has changed. 1 auto search with each character entered in the search box and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer has changed. 1 auto search with each character entered in the search box and...: File Explorer has changed. 1 auto search with each character entered in the search box and b placing your curser in the search box no longer displays a list of previous searches....
  3. File Explorer has changed. 1 auto search with each character entered in the search box and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer has changed. 1 auto search with each character entered in the search box and...: File Explorer has changed. 1 auto search with each character entered in the search box and b placing your curser in the search box no longer displays a list of previous searches....
  4. File explorer has white search box!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer has white search box!: As you can see my file explorer has a white search bar. I've tried many things labelled reference to the post below. Does anyone know how to fix this?? This has been an ongoing problem for around 7 months. Im currently on dark mode - I updated my pc to Windows 11 and...
  5. File explorer has white search box!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer has white search box!: As you can see my file explorer has a white search bar. I've tried many things labelled reference to the post below. Does anyone know how to fix this?? This has been an ongoing problem for around 7 months. Im currently on dark mode - I updated my pc to Windows 11 and...
  6. File explorer has white search box!

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Outlines & File explorer has white search box!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Outlines & File explorer has white search box!: As you can see my file explorer has a white search bar + I have weird outlines that I cant seem to get rid of! I've factory resetting the pc going into command promt as an admin then killing starting an "explorer" command simply checking if I have any ease of access settings...
  8. File Explorer search box

in Cortana
    File Explorer search box: When I start to type into the 'search' box on File Explorer on the right side of the address bar, if I type at normal speed the first one or two characters do not appear or are overwritten as I type. I have File Explorer set to automatically start in the 'search' box. To...
  9. File Explorer Search box

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Search box: When I start to type into the 'search' box on File Explorer on the right side of the address bar, if I type at normal speed the first one or two characters do not appear or are overwitten as I type. I have File Explorer set to automatically start in the 'search' box. To...
  10. File Explorer can't type Search box

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer can't type Search box: I cannot enter data in the File Explorer Search Box. This problem is annoying and reoccurring. I have "fixed" it several times but it keeps coming back. I can see online that many people have the same problem. It started about a month ago. Windows 10 When will this be...