Windows 10: The search box on the Taskbar and in Windows Explorer will not accept any typing input

Discus and support The search box on the Taskbar and in Windows Explorer will not accept any typing input in Cortana to solve the problem; The search box on the taskbar will not accept any typing input. Nor will the search box in Windows Explorer. Normal behavior: Click in the white box... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by David K. Dickson, Oct 9, 2020.

1. The search box on the Taskbar and in Windows Explorer will not accept any typing input

The search box on the taskbar will not accept any typing input.

Nor will the search box in Windows Explorer.

Normal behavior: Click in the white box where it says "Type here to search", and type.

New, incorrect behavior: Click in the white box where it says "Type here to search", but the box does not accept any input.

Same for the search box in Windows Explorer.

Workarounds: None found so far.
    Research: Google - multiple documents, none of which were exact matches. Applied many of the "solutions" suggested, to no avail.

Restarting the computer does not help.

Input into other applications Word, Excel, Chrome, etc is usually absolutely fine. Sometimes about once a week text typed into the Chrome browser does not reflect the input, e.g. I type "target" and the screen displays "rfotlt". If I retype the input into Word, I can copy and paste into the browser. So I have a workaround. Restarting fixes this. I don't need a solution for this, it is just FYI.

:)

David K. Dickson, Oct 9, 2020
  2. Arjay Dom Win User

Search box on taskbar missing.

Hi John,

This issue with search box may happen if it's hidden from the taskbar.

To resolve the issue, follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the taskbar and select Search.
    • Select Show search box.

Feel free to post back if you have other concerns.

Arjay Dom, Oct 9, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    Explorer search not working with additional HD

1. Open explorer (e.g. Windows key + E) - or type 'explorer' in the Cortana search box on the taskbar and click 'File explorer' or via the shortcut on the taskbar ....
    2. In the search box top right (you should see text 'Search this PC') type what you are searching for.
    3. Press the Return key.
    4. Look for your results in that window.

Please see my earlier post on suggestion as to what to type.

Note that indexed results will be fast (but only some things are indexed by default) - see Indexing options in the Control Panel e.g.
    Non-indexed searching is slower.

3rd party solutions as previously suggested yield fast results.

Creating the shortcut as suggested simply opens explorer and puts your mouse cursor in the explorer search box.

dalchina, Oct 9, 2020
  4. The search box on the Taskbar and in Windows Explorer will not accept any typing input

Unable to type anything on search box in taskbar or explorer. Cotana is missing also.

Can't type anything on search box in windows taskbar or windows explorer. So unable to search anything. Also , I can't find Cotana anywhere.

Lakshitha Samod, Oct 9, 2020
Thema:

The search box on the Taskbar and in Windows Explorer will not accept any typing input

1. The search box on the Taskbar and in Windows Explorer will not accept any typing input - Similar Threads - search box Taskbar

2. Unable to to type anything in search box in taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to to type anything in search box in taskbar: Hi,Why i am not able to type anything in Win 10 search box in taskbar. restarted also but doesnt help.Can anyone help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-to-type-anything-in-search-box-in/20a3e6d4-4702-442a-acd7-311a9e43f7d1
  3. Unable to to type anything in search box in taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to to type anything in search box in taskbar: Hi,Why i am not able to type anything in Win 10 search box in taskbar. restarted also but doesnt help.Can anyone help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-to-type-anything-in-search-box-in/20a3e6d4-4702-442a-acd7-311a9e43f7d1
  4. Unable to to type anything in search box in taskbar

in Cortana
  5. Cannot type in Taskbar Search Box in Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot type in Taskbar Search Box in Windows 10: I am unable to type in the Windows 10 Taskbar search box https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-type-in-taskbar-search-box-in-windows-10/2d3a542d-62c3-4038-ae19-fb4b8df59983
  6. Cannot Type in Search Boxes Explorer/Start...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot Type in Search Boxes Explorer/Start...: I have an unusual issue where I cannot type anything into Windows search boxes. Specifically the built in 'Search' in the explorer windows, and the 'Start' menu search doesn't show when typing. However I can search in the Control Panel. Also, to confound this issue further...
  7. File Explorer won't accept input in search field

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer won't accept input in search field: Dear Community, Over the last couple of weeks since last update I've been experiencing a number of issues which it has not been possible to fix. One of these is that I'm unable to enter any keywords into the file search field of the file explorer. When I try, it simply...
  8. Cannot type in search box in explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot type in search box in explorer: Ever since the last update, search has been acting up. Often I cannot type in the search box in the upper right corner of any open folder. I have to restart to get it working. How to fix? Thanks. submitted by /u/butterballmd [link] [comments]...
  9. File Explorer can't type Search box

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer can't type Search box: I cannot enter data in the File Explorer Search Box. This problem is annoying and reoccurring. I have "fixed" it several times but it keeps coming back. I can see online that many people have the same problem. It started about a month ago. Windows 10 When will this be...
  10. Unable to type in the search box on the taskbar.

in Cortana
    Unable to type in the search box on the taskbar.: After the latest updates I am unable to type in the search box on the taskbar. I have tried all the solutions on the internet. Powershell commands, the ctfmon fix, restarting windows explorer, all of it. No matter what I try, the search box won't respond. The latest updates...