Windows 10: The secondary monitor 'in extended mode' freezes the entire pc if you log in immediately...

Discus and support The secondary monitor 'in extended mode' freezes the entire pc if you log in immediately... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I'm experiencing a bug that is there since the day I bought a second HDMI monitor. Useful details: Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k with I7 8750H,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by leofabri_hd, Oct 12, 2020.

1. The secondary monitor 'in extended mode' freezes the entire pc if you log in immediately...

Hi,
    I'm experiencing a bug that is there since the day I bought a second HDMI monitor.

Useful details:

• Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k with I7 8750H, 16GB of RAM
    • Secondary display: LG 27UL500 4k connected via HDMI
    • Windows 10 release: Windows 10 Pro 2004
    • Nvidia Drivers: Updated to the latest version
    • Intel Display Driver: Updated to the latest version available

• LG Display Drivers: Updated

Description of the problem:

Unfortunately, documenting what's going on isn't easy, so I'll try to describe the scenario in sequence:

1. I boot the PC with the second monitor connected and set from the previous session in extended display mode Notifications action center -> Project -> Extend
    2. as soon as the lock screen appears, I immediately login;
    3. the computer unlocks and I see the desktop properly loaded on the laptop, while on the other monitor set as secondary, extended the desktop appears for a few seconds but then disappears, and everything on it is replaced by a monochromatic screen without any icons and writings. It looks like the color matches the dominant one of the currently set background.
    4. When this happens the computer freezes, the CPU usage by the system process becomes extremely high and the laptop is completely unresponsive.

Temporary workaround:

• If the secondary monitor is not set to be used in 'extended display mode' from startup, the problem does not occur
    • If at startup there is just one monitor connected, the problem does not occur
    • If the secondary monitor is turned off at startup and powered on later, the problem does not occur
    • As soon as the desktop shows up, press the start button: the pc locks again asking for the password and both screens turn off after pausing the user session. Pressing the power button again will prompt you to the lock screen. This time if you're lucky, you won't face the bug. Sometimes even doing this isn't possible because the pc crashes immediately and even Ctrl + Alt + Del doesn't have any effect. The only solution is to force the shut down of the pc by holding the start button.

Notes:

Even after factory-resetting Windows 10, the problem isn't solved.

This issue doesn't affect other OSes like Ubuntu.

Suspects:

I don't think the cause is the monitor because this usually happens on the display that is set as primary even on the laptop, this leads me to think that the cause isn't hardware but software. By using just one display this bug is non-existent.

Since this occurs right after when the initialization of the displays is supposed to take place, my theory is that some drivers are not initialized correctly or with the right priority or timing, consequently making the user's session initialized without adequate control over the available hardware.

How to reproduce:

To date, I haven't yet found any way to replicate this issue on other PCs.

:)

leofabri_hd, Oct 12, 2020

2. How to run a fullscreen app on dual touch monitor on Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the below questions.

1. Are you trying to mirror the display on your PC? Or are you trying to use the extended display to display two different application on different
    monitors?

2. What is the make and model of your PC?

3. What is the make and model of the touch monitors?

4. How are the monitor connected to your PC?

Windows 10 provides multiple display options when multiple monitors are connected to your PC.

1. PC Screen only – Display will be available on the primary monitor only.

2. Duplicate - Shows the entire desktop on both displays. The secondary monitor will mirror the primary display.

3. Extend - Stretch the desktop across the two displays. The desktop screen of your PC is extended across all the detected monitors and allows you to
    have a desktop screen that spans across all monitors.

4. Second Screen only – Display will only be available on the secondary monitor.

If you are trying to duplicate your monitor to display the same application and task on the both the monitor, I would suggest you follow the steps mentioned below and check if that helps:

To do that,

1. Tap on Windows + I on the keyboard.
    2. Click on the System option.
    3. Now click on the Display option.
    4. Under Multiple displays, select Duplicate these displays by clicking on the drop down.

We await your response.

Regards,

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Oct 12, 2020
  3. Secondary screen freezes after sleep on Win10

I have a PC with Win-10 and dedicated NVIDIA video card. I have two monitors in extended mode. All works fine, until I send PC sleep.

When I wake up my PC, the secondary display (which doesn't shows the Start menu) freezes the frame. Only the mouse pointer can move on that display. No windows can be moved on that monitor, and no other interaction can be done (writing, clicking etc.) (The main monitor and Windows is still live.) The broken screen cannot be identified (the big "1" or "2" doesn't appeares) by clicking to identify monitors (in display settings)

I have done:

1. I have updated NVDIA driver (doesn't solve)
    2. I have swap displays to make the the broken as the main display. In this case the main worked well (phyisically the other display), but the new secondary still freezes.
    3. Restarting the graphics drivers by Win+Ctrl+Shift+B (doesn't solve)
    4. Windows restart solves (daily restart not accepted)

How to resolve this display freeze?

System:

• Build: 10.0.17763
    • NVidia driver version: 26.21.14.3039 (17/04/2019)

The secondary monitor 'in extended mode' freezes the entire pc if you log in immediately... bSfMY.png

betontalpfa, Oct 12, 2020
  4. Swapna S Win User

The secondary monitor 'in extended mode' freezes the entire pc if you log in immediately...

Desktop shortcuts appear on external monitor instead of pc

Hi,

I will certainly help you with the issue you are experiencing in getting
    desktop shortcuts on your PC from External monitor.

This issue might occur due to default settings where you are not able to view the desktop shortcuts on the PC, you are looking for.

Before proceeding further, I would like to ask few questions for better assistance:

• Which edition of Windows are you working with?
    Please follow below mentioned steps to fix the issue:

• Plug in the second monitor which physically sits to the left of your primary screen

• Right click the desktop, choose
      Graphic Options>Output To>Extended Desktop> Built-in display + Monitor.

• Extended desktop enabled, but screen 2 (on the left) can only be accessed by moving the cursor to the right.

• Right click the desktop and choose
      Graphic Properties - choose 'Multiple Displays' from the side menu.

• Move monitor 2 from its default
      'Right' side to the left – all the icons go with it
      to screen 2 but the taskbar stays on the primary monitor.

• Click 'Apply' to accept this (temporarily) - close the
      'properties' window.

• Right Click the desktop, but this time choose
      'Screen Resolution'. Ensure that screen 2 is to the left - if not, move it.

• Click on screen 1 and ensure it says
      'This is currently your main display'

• Click on screen 2 and tick the box that says
      'Make this my main display' - the taskbar should move to screen 2.

• Finally click on Screen 1 again and tick the box that says
      'Make this my main display' - the taskbar and
      all the icons should move back to screen 1.
    I would like to Inform/suggest, Press the
    Windows key + P, and then choose a way to project:

• PC screen only
      – All your desktop shortcuts will be seen only on primary monitor/Desktop.

• Duplicate- Desktop Shortcuts that is on primary monitor/Desktop will replicate on Secondary monitor too.

• Extend- Primary monitor will be extended to Secondary monitor. But all the desktop shortcuts will appear only on primary monitor. (If you want to have the desktop
      shortcuts that’s on primary monitor on secondary monitor, you can just drag the shortcuts from primary to secondary monitor and check if that helps).

• Second screen only- All your desktop shortcuts will be seen only on Secondary monitor/Desktop.
    Please get back to us, if you still facing issue
    in getting desktop shortcuts on your PC from External monitor.

Thank you.

Swapna S, Oct 12, 2020
Thema:

The secondary monitor 'in extended mode' freezes the entire pc if you log in immediately...

1. The secondary monitor 'in extended mode' freezes the entire pc if you log in immediately... - Similar Threads - secondary monitor 'in

2. Can you put the taskbar on a secondary monitor and not on the primary monitor?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can you put the taskbar on a secondary monitor and not on the primary monitor?: I want to have my secondary monitor have my taskbar and all my shortcuts and my primary monitor be solely for display. Is there a way to only have the taskbar visible on a secondary monitor without setting that monitor as my primary monitor. I've tried setting the other...
  3. Can you put the taskbar on a secondary monitor and not on the primary monitor?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can you put the taskbar on a secondary monitor and not on the primary monitor?: I want to have my secondary monitor have my taskbar and all my shortcuts and my primary monitor be solely for display. Is there a way to only have the taskbar visible on a secondary monitor without setting that monitor as my primary monitor. I've tried setting the other...
  4. Fix FireFox extending into secondary monitor when maximized

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fix FireFox extending into secondary monitor when maximized: There has been a common problem where if a user maximized the Firefox window in more than one screen environment the tip of the window will extend to the secondary monitor. To fix this problem right or left click on the top bar in Firefox and click on "Customize Toolbar". at...
  5. Fix FireFox extending into secondary monitor when maximized

Fix FireFox extending into secondary monitor when maximized: There has been a common problem where if a user maximized the Firefox window in more than one screen environment the tip of the window will extend to the secondary monitor. To fix this problem right or left click on the top bar in Firefox and click on "Customize Toolbar". at...
  6. Fix FireFox extending into secondary monitor when maximized

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Connecting Dual Mode Monitor As A Extender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connecting Dual Mode Monitor As A Extender: Hi I Am Mangal Ram And I Uses Windows 10 I Wanted To Extend My Screen 1. can I Extend My Screen With VGA Y Splitter * I Wanted To Extend My Screen not to Duplicate My Screen2. Or If you have other method to do it * I Have One VGA port And No HDMI port can you tell me how to...
  8. Connecting Dual Mode Monitor As A Extender

Connecting Dual Mode Monitor As A Extender: Hi I Am Mangal Ram And I Uses Windows 10 I Wanted To Extend My Screen 1. can I Extend My Screen With VGA Y Splitter * I Wanted To Extend My Screen not to Duplicate My Screen2. Or If you have other method to do it * I Have One VGA port And No HDMI port can you tell me how to...
  9. Mouse freezing on extended monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse freezing on extended monitor: Hi, I recently set up a new Lenovo Idea Pad using Windows 10. I use a second monitor and when I mouse to the second screen, the mouse freezes and will not move until I left click. This happen constantly making the second screen all but useless I have uninstalled and...
  10. Secondary monitor freezing and messing with PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Secondary monitor freezing and messing with PC: My secondary monitor keeps on freezing up when I turn on “extend this display” and ended up making Windows glitch and sign me in to a temp. account. Yes, I have tried different monitors! PLEASE HELP! submitted by /u/MrCrazyMan109 [link] [comments]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. computer freezes when plug in second monitor

2. windows 10 freezes when turn on second monitor