Windows 10: The selected boot device failed, please press enter to continue

Discus and support The selected boot device failed, please press enter to continue in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I have encountered the selected boot device failed error. I was wondering is this could be the result of a bad CPU? I have purchased a new hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BellaMA, May 4, 2020.

1. BellaMA Win User

The selected boot device failed, please press enter to continue

Hello, I have encountered the selected boot device failed error. I was wondering is this could be the result of a bad CPU? I have purchased a new hard drive, in hopes that that will fix this issue, but I am not sure. I do know that I had the idlebuddy virus on my computer for a short amount of time, and I was able to successfully remove it using Malwarebytes, but I still am unsure if this error could be the result of a bad CPU. Please help me.

:)

BellaMA, May 4, 2020

2. Problem in booting getting error : getting "the selected boot device failed. Press <enter> to continue".

I am repeatedly getting "the selected boot device failed. Press <enter> to continue" getting this message every time I boot my PC once. I have recently purchased my HP laptop.

Original title: Problem in booting.

PriteshKumar, May 4, 2020
  3. Problem in booting getting error : getting "the selected boot device failed. Press <enter> to continue".

Hi Pritesh,

I would be happy to assist you.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?

• What is the complete error message/ error code of this issue?

• Have you connected any external devices other than mouse and keyboard?

Before going with the troubleshooting steps, I would like to inform you that the issue could also be caused due to outdated Basic Input Output system (BIOS) or chipset drivers. I would suggest you to visit the manufacturer’s
    website to download and install the latest BIOS and chipset drivers.

BIOS Disclaimer:

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from
    the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

If you are able to boot to the desktop screen, I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: As a workaround I suggest you to unplug all the external devices connected to your computer, hard reboot the device and check with the status of this issue.

If the issue still persists, try the below troubleshooting steps as the boot files of current operating system might got corrupted.

Method 2: I suggest you to download Windows 10 ISO file, create an installation media from other working computer to perform Startup Repair of the computer that you are
    unable to boot.

Using ISO file to perform Startup Repair will allow the device to boot the system to Windows Recovery Environment and tries to repair the device.

Step 1:
    I suggest you to try Startup Repairing the Windows and check if it helps.

Download the Windows 10 ISO and create a Media Creation tool and then perform Startup Repair.

Refer to the following link: Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

(Refer to the section "Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool” in the above article for creating the tool).

Step 2: After creating Installation Media, perform Startup Repair.

I would like to inform that, if your Windows 10 is not able to boot or startup, Startup Repair will come into action and try to diagnose and fix the issue. It will scan system files, registry settings, configuration settings
    and more and try to fix the problem on its own, automatically.

Perform the Startup Repair:

• When your computer starts, wait for the manufacturer logo to check the option for boot menu, it will usually be
      F12.
    • The boot menu key might differ with each manufacturer. If you are unable to find the boot menu key, you may refer the user manual.
    • Restart the computer, when the manufacturer's logo is displayed, keep pressing the
      Boot menu option key to enter the boot menu and change the boot option to
      CD\DVD ROM.
    • After you boot your computer using Windows 10 DVD, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
    • Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
    • Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner
    • Click on Troubleshooting, advanced option and then click
      Startup Repair.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of booting the operating system to desktop for further assistance. We will be
    happy to help you.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, May 4, 2020
  4. MikeM_997 Win User

Black screen with blue message: The selected boot device failed. Press <Enter> to continue.

My laptop froze for a few hours so I had to turn it off by holding down the power button.

When I turn my laptop on I now get an error message saying "The selected boot device failed. Press <Enter> to continue.

When I press continue it turns the laptop off. Once I turn it back on it goes back to the same error message and is in a constant loop.

The laptop is less than a year old. Can anybody help with this?

Thanks.

MikeM_997, May 4, 2020
Thema:

1. The selected boot device failed, please press enter to continue - Similar Threads - selected boot device

2. Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press...: First day: activate windows watermark, slow and laggy performance than usual and a crash appeared, restarted automatically and was good all againSecond day: after logging with password a black screen would appear but mouse cursor was visible. Later new problem arises saying...
  3. reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press...: I have a problem with pc, any time I switch it on it says reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key issue so I kept installing new windows three times to fix the problem , it didn't last for like a week it shows the same...
  4. Please select boot device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please select boot device: Why my pc shows please select boot device https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/please-select-boot-device/b340d92b-38b1-4441-9583-1f8b678a3584
  5. Please select boot device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Please select boot device: Why my pc shows please select boot device https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/please-select-boot-device/b340d92b-38b1-4441-9583-1f8b678a3584
  6. Please select boot device

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press...: So I installed Version 22H2 windows 11 and when my pc restarted it came up with the following message: reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key. After some research I pressed my bios key, f12 but no bios settings the...
  8. Please select boot device

Please select boot device: Hello, I am facing one major problem with my pc startup. Everytime when I turn on my PC, I'm getting this screen "please select boot device".I have tried troubleshooting options, but none of them worked. I have also checked the boot priorities, but there is only one option...
  9. Selected boot device failed.

Selected boot device failed.: While booting up my HP laptop this screen pops up. Hp disk diagnose failed before this and after that it showed this screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/selected-boot-device-failed/e1d2e277-5014-4f98-bd00-042e5ccb38fb
  10. ReBoot and Select proper Boot Device or insert boot media in selected Boot device and press...

ReBoot and Select proper Boot Device or insert boot media in selected Boot device and press...: I have a skytech gaming PC & im getting an error of ReBoot and Select proper Boot Device or insert boot media in selected Boot device and press a key. Asrock is F11 for BIOS but like im confused! I changed the battery thinking thats an issueKTS Cr2032 like i cant even start...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How to fix the selected boot device failed.press enter to continue

2. Selected Boot Device Failed. Press Any Key To Reboot The System.