Windows 10: The selected disk has an MBR partition table [Fix]

Discus and support The selected disk has an MBR partition table [Fix] in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [IMG]Some users have reported that when they try to install Windows OS on their hard disk, the installation process is interrupted. As soon as they... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 14, 2023.

1. WinClub New Member

The selected disk has an MBR partition table [Fix]

The selected disk has an MBR partition table [Fix] [​IMG]
    Some users have reported that when they try to install Windows OS on their hard disk, the installation process is interrupted. As soon as they press the Install now button in the Windows Setup process, the Windows installation fails, and the Windows Setup shows Windows cannot be installed to this disk, The selected disk has […]

This article The selected disk has an MBR partition table [Fix] first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, May 14, 2023

2. clone MBR HD to bootable GPT partition?

Hi,

1. You cannot convert mbr to gpt without data loss. otherwise, you can follow directions here:

FROM WINDOWS RECOVERY CONSOLE:

To change a master boot record disk into a GUID partition table disk using a command line

• Back up or move the data on the basic master boot record (MBR) disk you want to convert into a GUID partition table (GPT) disk.

• Open an elevated command prompt (right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator) and type diskpart. If the disk does not contain any partitions or volumes, skip to step 6.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type list disk. Make note of the disk number you want to convert.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type select disk <disknumber>.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type clean.

2. I'd suggest converting your vista drive to a virtual machine, load that up on your windows 10 system and use a program like virtualbox to run it.

CoatH4nger, May 14, 2023
  3. Error Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table.

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. Don’t worry. We will assist to resolve this issue.

The error message is saying that your BIOS is UEFI but your disk's partition system is not GPT. In order to verify this claim:

• Open any CLI (cmd or PowerShell)
    • Right click on the start button and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type "diskpart" (without the quotes) and hit Enter.
    • Wait for it to load (the command line will begin with DISKPART>)
    • Type "list disk" (without the quotes) and hit Enter.
    • GPT disks will have an asterisk in the far right column.
    If your disk is indeed GPT, there's a problem with the installer. Otherwise, change BIOS to legacy mode to install on an MBR disk.

Try the above suggestion and let us know if it helps. For further assistance feel free to post your queries in Microsoft forums. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank You.

Sangeeta Sarkar, May 14, 2023
  4. The selected disk has an MBR partition table [Fix]

Smittychat., May 14, 2023
Thema:

The selected disk has an MBR partition table [Fix]

1. The selected disk has an MBR partition table [Fix] - Similar Threads - selected disk has

2. i get error , "The Selected dis has an MBR partition table. windows can only be installed...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i get error , "The Selected dis has an MBR partition table. windows can only be installed...: Hello friends, I have a problem that I could not solve.I encountered this problem while changing Windows. I saw solutions that clean the disk, but I have important information on the disk.I have a disk, which contains several partitions. And I already deleted partition 3...
  3. i get error , "The Selected dis has an MBR partition table. windows can only be installed...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i get error , "The Selected dis has an MBR partition table. windows can only be installed...: Hello friends, I have a problem that I could not solve.I encountered this problem while changing Windows. I saw solutions that clean the disk, but I have important information on the disk.I have a disk, which contains several partitions. And I already deleted partition 3...
  4. i get error , "The Selected dis has an MBR partition table. windows can only be installed...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows cannot be installed to this disk because it has an mbr partition table.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows cannot be installed to this disk because it has an mbr partition table.: So I was trying to install windows on my laptop and then windows threw this error at me. Obviously, I need to convert my disk to gpt but let’s say that’s not an option. I am using Uefi hybrid boot mode so could I use legacy boot mode to bypass this error?...
  6. Windows cannot be installed to this disk because it has an mbr partition table.

Windows cannot be installed to this disk because it has an mbr partition table.: So I was trying to install windows on my laptop and then windows threw this error at me. Obviously, I need to convert my disk to gpt but let’s say that’s not an option. I am using Uefi hybrid boot mode so could I use legacy boot mode to bypass this error?...
  7. Windows 11 Install - new build, error "The selected disk has an MBR partition table"

Windows 11 Install - new build, error "The selected disk has an MBR partition table": Following a previous response to this issue, I've run 'diskpart', selected the disk, cleaned the disk, and ran 'convert gpt'. Same issue repeats.The disk is showing in setup as 'Disk 0 Partition 1 total size 2048.0 GB free space 0.0 MB type primaryThe SSD is an ADATA SU635...
  8. Windows 11 Install - new build, error "The selected disk has an MBR partition table"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Install - new build, error "The selected disk has an MBR partition table": Following a previous response to this issue, I've run 'diskpart', selected the disk, cleaned the disk, and ran 'convert gpt'. Same issue repeats.The disk is showing in setup as 'Disk 0 Partition 1 total size 2048.0 GB free space 0.0 MB type primaryThe SSD is an ADATA SU635...
  9. The selected disk is not a fixed MBR disk message on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    The selected disk is not a fixed MBR disk message on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Disk Management and the DISKPART utility on Windows 10 are useful tools for managing their disk space allocation and more. But some users are reporting an error The selected disk is not a fixed MBR disk when trying to use [...] This post The selected disk is...
  10. the selected disk has an MBR partition needs GPT

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    the selected disk has an MBR partition needs GPT: I upgraded my windows 7 pro to Windows 10 pro and decided to do a clean install. The install partition ( boot partition ) is on a HDD with three other partitions. I tried to install from the Windows 10 disk, created from the downloaded ISO image. but greeted with "windows...