Windows 10: The selected disk is not a fixed MBR disk message on Windows 10

Discus and support The selected disk is not a fixed MBR disk message on Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Disk Management and the DISKPART utility on Windows 10 are useful tools for managing their disk space allocation and more. But some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 11, 2019.

1. WinClub New Member

The selected disk is not a fixed MBR disk message on Windows 10

WinClub, May 11, 2019

2. Error Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table.

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. Don’t worry. We will assist to resolve this issue.

The error message is saying that your BIOS is UEFI but your disk's partition system is not GPT. In order to verify this claim:

• Open any CLI (cmd or PowerShell)
    • Right click on the start button and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type "diskpart" (without the quotes) and hit Enter.
    • Wait for it to load (the command line will begin with DISKPART>)
    • Type "list disk" (without the quotes) and hit Enter.
    • GPT disks will have an asterisk in the far right column.
    If your disk is indeed GPT, there's a problem with the installer. Otherwise, change BIOS to legacy mode to install on an MBR disk.

Try the above suggestion and let us know if it helps. For further assistance feel free to post your queries in Microsoft forums. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank You.

Sangeeta Sarkar, May 11, 2019
  3. Disk management console view is not up-to-date

i dont know how to fix your disk management, but i can fix your partition problems...

open up Command Prompt with admin rights. (Right click, run as admin)

enter in
    DISKPART
    list disk

then find the Disk number for your Raid array... lets call it number 7 ( you can tell what disk is what by the total size)
    type in

Select Disk 7
    List Partition (will give you a list of all the partitions..)
    Select Partition 1 (im assuming you only have 1 partition on Disk 7) repeat this step if you have more partitions.
    ASSIGN

that should get the array up and running ready to use.

EDITED.

any problems, post back ^^

Still EDITING *Stick Out Tongue The selected disk is not a fixed MBR disk message on Windows 10 :p

side question, have you tried restarting the PC?

slyfox2151, May 11, 2019
  4. anctop Win User

Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk in Windows 10

Recently I met an occasion where a Win10 installation on a GPT disk needed to be converted to MBR.
    I think my experience may be of some help.

The target system was Win10 Enterprise, installed on an empty 300GB HD. The layout (as reported by "diskpart") was :
    Code:
    Code:
     Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info   ----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------   Volume 1     C                NTFS   Partition    297 GB  Healthy    Boot   Volume 2         Recovery     NTFS   Partition    450 MB  Healthy    Hidden   Volume 3                      FAT32  Partition     99 MB  Healthy    System
    Basically I followed "OPTION ONE" of Shawn Brink (the author of the original post).
    Steps 1-3 were straightforward.
    After clicking "Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk" in Step 3, a warning poped out :

The selected disk is not a fixed MBR disk message on Windows 10 [​IMG]

Click "OK" to dismiss, then proceed to Step 4.
    After clicking "Apply", another warning appeared soon :

The selected disk is not a fixed MBR disk message on Windows 10 [​IMG]

Click "Restart Now" to proceed.
    The restart triggered the conversion before loading the OS.
    When the conversion was completed (in just one or two minutes), the system was restarted again.
    But this time it CRASHED : some error message saying OS not found.

This is normal, because the conversion tool did not mark the system partition as "bootable".
    Now :
    1. Boot the target system with the Win10 installation media (DVD/USB etc).
    2. Select language & click the "Next" button.
    3. Click the "Repair your computer" link.
    4. Click the "Troubleshoot" square.
    5. Click the "Command Prompt" square.
    6. At the command prompt, invoke the "diskpart" tool.
      • Locate the target partition by using the "select" and "list" commands.
      • Execute the "select partition x" command, where x is the target partition number.
      • Execute the "active" command to mark it as "bootable".
      • "exit" the "diskpart" tool.
    7. "exit" the command prompt.
    8. Click the "Startup Repair" square. The system will restart after the repair.
    9. Done.
    After the fix, the layout of the target disk looked like :
    Code:
    Code:
      Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info    ----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------    Volume 1                             Partition    450 MB  Healthy    Offline    Volume 2                             Partition     99 MB  Healthy    Offline    Volume 3     C                NTFS   Partition    297 GB  Healthy    System
    Finally, a couple of remarks :
    • The time required for the "Startup Repair" step varies on different systems. For the 300GB disk mentioned above, it was finished in less than a minute. On another case with 1TB HD, it took nearly 3 hours of heavy disk read-write to complete the operation.
    • One downside of the method is worth notice : almost all of the functions in "Advanced startup" ("Start" -> "Settings" -> "Update & security" -> "Recovery" -> "Advanced startup") were gone after the conversion.

anctop, May 11, 2019
Thema:

1. The selected disk is not a fixed MBR disk message on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - selected disk fixed

2. The selected disk has an MBR partition table [Fix]

in Windows 10 News
    The selected disk has an MBR partition table [Fix]: [IMG]Some users have reported that when they try to install Windows OS on their hard disk, the installation process is interrupted. As soon as they press the Install now button in the Windows Setup process, the Windows installation fails, and the Windows Setup shows Windows...
  3. Broken MBR Win 10 no disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Broken MBR Win 10 no disk: Another computer has stopped working after a power cut. It is an HP Pavilion laptop, originally Win 8 but upgraded to Win 10. There is no installation disk. There is an mbr issue and it can't find the OS. What's the fix please?...
  4. How to convert an MBR disk into a GPT disk

How to convert an MBR disk into a GPT disk: why does windows 10 32 bit(x86) clean install as mbr when i pre-format the hard drive as gpt? is there a solution or is that the default and only option for installation? i've contacted asus who makes my motherboard to check for uefi details and everything i can think of...
  5. convert MBR to GPT disk

convert MBR to GPT disk: DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0 Online 465 GB 0 B Disk 1 Online 7633 MB 0 B DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size...
  6. Converting Windows 10 MBR Disk to GPT

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Converting Windows 10 MBR Disk to GPT: I have two internal disks and one external on my desktop. One of the internals is a GPT 1Tb disk for data and archive storage. The other is an MBR Windows 10 system disk and the external one is a 1TB USB. The system disk contains a System Reserved partition and the Windows 10...
  7. Windows cannot be installed to this disk the selected disk

Windows cannot be installed to this disk the selected disk: Hello my friends, I keep getting an error when I install Windows 7. I want to install Windows 7 alongside Windows 10. windows cannot be installed to this disk the selected disk is of the gpt partition style I read solutions to this and most of them write I must format...
  8. the selected disk has an MBR partition needs GPT

the selected disk has an MBR partition needs GPT: I upgraded my windows 7 pro to Windows 10 pro and decided to do a clean install. The install partition ( boot partition ) is on a HDD with three other partitions. I tried to install from the Windows 10 disk, created from the downloaded ISO image. but greeted with "windows...
  9. Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk in Windows 10: How to: Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk in Windows 10 How to Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk in Windows 10 [img] Information GPT (GUID Partition Table) and MBR (Master Boot Record) are two different partition styles that can be used for a disk. MBR disks use the standard...
  10. Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk in Windows 10: How to: Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk in Windows 10 How to Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk in Windows 10 GPT (GUID Partition Table) and MBR (Master Boot Record) are two different partition styles that can be used for a disk. MBR disks use the standard BIOS partition...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. selected disk is not a fixed mbr disk

2. diskpart select partition 1 not fixed mbr

3. selected disk is not fixed mbr

4. selected disk is not mbr disk