Windows 10: the selected system image cannot be restored in this recovery environment

Discus and support the selected system image cannot be restored in this recovery environment in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi again, I have finally managed to sort my Windows 10 installation out after having error code 0xc000021a however now I'm having trouble trying to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by KevinMurray9, Mar 19, 2019.

1. the selected system image cannot be restored in this recovery environment

Hi again,

I have finally managed to sort my Windows 10 installation out after having error code 0xc000021a however now I'm having trouble trying to restore my system image from an external hard drive it says (the selected system image cannot be restored in this recovery environment) , can anyone help please

:)

KevinMurray9, Mar 19, 2019
  2. Peer_Sam Win User

Windows Can Not Locate System Restore Image

Hi Kyle,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

How are you trying to recover it from the image?

You must restore the image from Windows recovery environment. In some cases, your computer may not recognize the system image from a flash drive. Here are the steps to restore the image from the Windows recovery environment.

• Select Start and click on Power button.
    • Select Restart while holding the
      Shift
      key to boot the computer into advanced recovery environment.
    • Select Troubleshoot from the available options.
    • Click on Advanced options.
    • Select System Image.
    • Check the radio button for Select a system image.
    • Select the image location and click
      Next. If the system image is on network location then click
      Advanced
      to add that location, then click Next.
    • Select the system image based on date and time, if you have multiple images available. Click
      Next.
    • In the next screen you may specify additional options to format or delete partitions if needed. Click
      Next.
    • Click Finish in the summary screen.
    • Click Yes to confirm that you want to proceed with the restore.

Hope it helps.

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Mar 19, 2019
  3. Try3 Win User
    How to restore system image backup

Ryan,

Whilst I can find the tutorial for making a system image [Create a System Image], I cannot find one about restoring it at the moment so here are my own notes on the procedure - [I never see the message windows need to format the drive... so I am not sure where you are when you see that]

[Added later - There is an illustrated guide to restoring a system image in Restore Image on Computer - EightForums. The procedure seems to be the same and the illustrations should be helpful.]

1 Go to

• Settings,
    • Update & security,
    • Recovery,
    • Under the Advanced startup heading, click on the button for Restart now.

2 This will take you into the onboard Windows recovery environment [WRE], a menu-driven environment -

• Troubleshoot,
    • Advanced options,
    • System image recover.

3 You will be rebooted into the System image recovery procedure -

• Connect the drive containing the image,
    • Accept the latest image identified by the system or Select a image,
    • The rest is entirely menu driven.
    • [Whilst there are some options that can be chosen, the defaults are normally off for all these and should be accepted.]

There are variations of this procedure such as starting the restoration from an installation disk, system repair disk or System recovery drive [see page 2 of this thread].

Denis

4. the selected system image cannot be restored in this recovery environment

Missing Recovery Environment

Hi Alan,

Here is a link containing several useful suggestions to help you recover Windows 10. Since the error message that you got tells you to insert your Windows installation or recovery media. We suggest the perform the steps listed under
    Use a recovery drive to restore or reset your PC or you can also follow the steps under
    Use installation media to restore or reset your PC. Please see the link below for more details:

Recovery options in Windows 10.

Regards.

Rolando Vil, Mar 19, 2019
Thema:

the selected system image cannot be restored in this recovery environment

1. the selected system image cannot be restored in this recovery environment - Similar Threads - selected system image

2. Struggling with image restore: Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Struggling with image restore: Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has...: Following a Windows 11 update misfire/failure, from which I cannot access the recovery page hard shutdowns at boot screen, repair options fails, uninstall the latest update we ran into a problem...try resetting PC, or even disk check boot configuration could not be...
  3. Struggling with image restore: Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Struggling with image restore: Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has...: Following a Windows 11 update misfire/failure, from which I cannot access the recovery page hard shutdowns at boot screen, repair options fails, uninstall the latest update we ran into a problem...try resetting PC, or even disk check boot configuration could not be...
  4. Cannot boot into Windows Recovery Environment

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot boot into Windows Recovery Environment: I cannot get my Windows 10 PC into the Windows Recovery Environment. I followed the procedures offered in another now closed thread see below, but my computer does not enter the WRE. Is there an other way to get to the WRE?Here's the previous thread and recommended...
  5. Cannot restore windows via System Image Recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot restore windows via System Image Recovery: Ok so basically I wanted to get rid of the drive windows was on and put it on another drive. Normally I'd do a clean install, but it was a bit too soon for me doing another one of those the hassle of getting everything set up again, so I googled how to move windows 10 to...
  6. Cannot restore windows via System Image Recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot restore windows via System Image Recovery: Ok so basically I wanted to get rid of the drive windows was on and put it on another drive. Normally I'd do a clean install, but it was a bit too soon for me doing another one of those the hassle of getting everything set up again, so I googled how to move windows 10 to...
  7. Cannot restore windows via System Image Recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. the selected system image cannot be restored in this recovery environment

the selected system image cannot be restored in this recovery environment: Hi, I just upgraded my PC from Windows 32 bit to 64 bit. I have a few partitions on my hard drive. I followed the online instruction and created a WindowsImageBackup which is now stored on an external hard drive. The upgrade process was fine and smooth. I deleted the current...
  9. Cannot Find Recovery Environment

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot Find Recovery Environment: Hi, i have a windows 10 desktop, and some month ago i reset my pc, and it work well. But, now i want to do it again and it show an error message "cannot find recovery environment....". I think it because some time ago merge my disk C and disk D but when i open disk...
  10. What image is used for Windows Recovery Environment?

What image is used for Windows Recovery Environment?: reagentc /info shows path is [C:] \recovery\WindowsRE\winre.wim I also have a Recovery partition with Q:\recovery\WindowsRE\winre.wim If I rename the recovery folders above to RecoveryX (using non-windows admin tools), I can still boot into WinRE by either: 1) Boot into...