Windows 10: The semaphore timeout period has expired when I try to access my Seagate expansion usb hard...

Discus and support The semaphore timeout period has expired when I try to access my Seagate expansion usb hard... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; ok the drive is ok and I can still view and copy or paste files and folder using my old computer. I got a new computer now and windows throws up this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by baker_M, May 22, 2019.

1. baker_M Win User

The semaphore timeout period has expired when I try to access my Seagate expansion usb hard...

ok the drive is ok and I can still view and copy or paste files and folder using my old computer.

I got a new computer now and windows throws up this error when I try to view whats on the drive.

I have run sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image.

I have tried plugging into usb 2 ports and usb 3 ports, same error.

:)

baker_M, May 22, 2019
  2. sunny203 Win User

semaphore timeout period has expired

So I had an issue with this external HDD a few days ago. It simply was not showing up and I still have no idea how it fixed. That thread is here:
    External HDD not Initializing, Not in , Need Recovery! - Solved - Windows 10 Forums

Now the same drive is doing something a little different.

The semaphore timeout period has expired when I try to access my Seagate expansion usb hard... [​IMG]

I'd backed up a large portion of my files and when I went to back up the rest I started getting this error.

Unlike before the HDD is showing up. I'm guessing it has something to do with my partitions.
    When I bring up partition wizard I don't see the HDD there:

The semaphore timeout period has expired when I try to access my Seagate expansion usb hard... [​IMG]

Unless I'm missing something....which I very likely am.

Here what my Disk Management looks like

ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED, and thanks!

sunny203, May 22, 2019
  3. Fish62858 Win User
    semaphore timeout period has expired

hello again...

dang this thing is a pain!!

new issue today, trying to save a tiny .rtf file to external USB drive, and get "semaphore timeout period has expired" message and have to save to local drive instead. also get the message if i drag and drop into the desired location.

perhaps related to the issue i occasionally have: the machine loses connection to the external drive and either the folder shows empty (it's not!) or doesn't show as even being connected. little blue light on the drive will sometimes go out, sometimes not, but still no access...

EDIT: i have two verbatim USB drive attached... one or the other of them will occasional disappear from This PC and when i look at device manager there is an error on that drive. i disconnect and reconnect and the drives show up and the error in device manger goes away... there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why this happens. when it does and i try to save something to the drive, that's when i get the "semaphore timeout period has expired"

i have tried to update drivers using windows search online and it always says i have the best drivers loaded....

the drives have been checked for errors and windows reports none... there is still quite a bit of available space on them (80+ gigs on each) and when they are connected and live, i can access files with no problem... it just decides to seemingly drop the drive randomly...

thanks for any help...

Fish62858, May 22, 2019
  4. Huskies55 Win User

The semaphore timeout period has expired when I try to access my Seagate expansion usb hard...

Semaphore Timeout Period has Expired

Hi All,

I am trying to re-purpose an external hard drive (iomega Prestige 1 TB) on a newer laptop. It was corrupted some time ago (for reasons I can't remember), and I have since reformatted it. When trying to run the backup on my new laptop, which runs Windows
    10, it gets about halfway and then fails with the "semaphore timeout period has expired" error. I've reads numerous forums with similar problems and have tried some solutions, such as reinstalling all USB drivers, but have had no success. I have no data on
    the hard drive and ideally would just like to factory reset the thing. Any help is appreciated. Please let me know if any further information is needed.

Many Thanks,

Tom

Huskies55, May 22, 2019
Thema:

1. The semaphore timeout period has expired when I try to access my Seagate expansion usb hard... - Similar Threads - semaphore timeout period

2. Windows 10 - Cannot initialize new hard drive from USB - The semaphore timeout period has...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 - Cannot initialize new hard drive from USB - The semaphore timeout period has...: I bought a new hard drive, 14 TB Toshiba NAS N300, 7200 rpm, 256 mb buffer.I connected it to my Windows 10 computer via an externally powered, USB dock, into one of the rear USB3 ports.When attempting to initialize the hard drive in Disk Management, I get "The semaphore...
  3. Windows 10 - Cannot initialize new hard drive from USB - The semaphore timeout period has...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 - Cannot initialize new hard drive from USB - The semaphore timeout period has...: I bought a new hard drive, 14 TB Toshiba NAS N300, 7200 rpm, 256 mb buffer.I connected it to my Windows 10 computer via an externally powered, USB dock, into one of the rear USB3 ports.When attempting to initialize the hard drive in Disk Management, I get "The semaphore...
  4. Windows 10 - Cannot initialize new hard drive from USB - The semaphore timeout period has...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Error 0x80070079: The semaphore timeout period has expired Windows 10 Teams

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error 0x80070079: The semaphore timeout period has expired Windows 10 Teams: Hello, I am copying some files from Onedrive already sync to my computer and copying them from my file explorer to my corporate Team on Microsoft Teams app, but for a variety of files excel, power point, mails from outlook it is shown this error message. Must of the files...
  6. Macrium Reflect Clone - The semaphore timeout period has expired

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect Clone - The semaphore timeout period has expired: Hi there, I was using Macrium Reflect to clone my boot disk to a USB attached SSD. The SSD was originally formatted as a Windows 7 boot disk out of my laptop. When I setup the clone, I had Macrium delete the three partitions on the SSD. About 10 minutes into the operation,...
  7. Error Code 0x80070079 The semaphore timeout period has expired.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error Code 0x80070079 The semaphore timeout period has expired.: I have saved my design files to an 4tb with no problem until today. Error code 0x80070079. The semaphore timeout period has expired. HELP...
  8. Backup Error 0x81000039 semaphore timeout period has expired

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup Error 0x81000039 semaphore timeout period has expired: Hi i was backing up my desktop 1 TB Internal to a Portable External 2TB HDD and i got this error ~ Windows encountered an error when accessing the remote shared folder The Semaphore timeout period has expired error code 0x81000039 Can anyone assist please simple step...
  9. semaphore timeout period has expired

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    semaphore timeout period has expired: So I had an issue with this external HDD a few days ago. It simply was not showing up and I still have no idea how it fixed. That thread is here: External HDD not Initializing, Not in , Need Recovery! - Solved - Windows 10 Forums Now the same drive is doing something a...
  10. semaphore timeout period has expired

in Windows 10 Support
    semaphore timeout period has expired: hello again... dang this thing is a pain!! new issue today, trying to save a tiny .rtf file to external USB drive, and get "semaphore timeout period has expired" message and have to save to local drive instead. also get the message if i drag and drop into the desired...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. seagate hard drive semaphore timeout

2. where shall i change The semaphore timeout period

3. semaphore timeout period has expired seagate

4. the sephimore timeout periode has expired error on usb drive,
  5. the semaphore timeout period has expired accessing external drive