Windows 10: The settings app does not display some options without admin rights. Running UWP apps as...

Discus and support The settings app does not display some options without admin rights. Running UWP apps as... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello everybody, In the good and better old control panel, which unfortunately Microsoft is letting die more and more, you get a UAC request or the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Martin Fessler, Sep 8, 2020.

1. The settings app does not display some options without admin rights. Running UWP apps as...

Hello everybody,

In the good and better old control panel, which unfortunately Microsoft is letting die more and more, you get a UAC request or the user login dialog for certain settings.
    Unfortunately, this is not the case with the settings app, here - if the user does not have admin rights - certain points are simply not displayed.

If the areas were at least grayed out... but simply not showing them is really impractical.

I don't want to have to go through all the submenus every 6 months to find the differences.
    And then do the whole thing a second time to test whether a setting is device- or only user-specific.

Is there another possibility?
    Unfortunately, the settings app as a UWP app cannot be run with other rights.
    Or is there a solution in the meantime?

I'm grateful for every tip.

Thanks and greetings,
    Martin

:)

Martin Fessler, Sep 8, 2020

2. Run UWP apps with admin rights, start software as admin without password.

Hello everybody,

I have two problems regarding user accounts without admin rights:

UWP apps:
    Is there really no way to execute UWP apps (like "Settings") with admin rights?

Win32/64 software:
    Would like to run a software with admin rights, but the user should not get the password of the admin account.
    First thought of the task scheduler, but here the software is not executed interactively, i.e. on the user's desktop.
    Runas with savecred is insecure, pass the password in a batch and then "encrypt" it with one of these .bat to .exe tools would work.

Or do you have a better idea?

Thanks and greetings,
    Martin

Martin Fessler, Sep 8, 2020
  3. Microsoft Adds Ability to Block Win32 Apps from Install on Windows 10

Yes, UWP is an interpreter, an app running in UWP can't function without the interpreter. Only the UWP core has access to the actual hardware, the app does not.

By not having direct access to the hardware, they perform slower. UWP has to translate everything and make sure it passes safety and security checks.

If UWP has issues, all of the apps running on top of it also will. I've seen that in early release of Windows 10 where all UWP based, Windows-included apps broke (Edge, Calculator, Mail, etc.). Granted, it was only broke in one user account.

FordGT90Concept, Sep 8, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

The settings app does not display some options without admin rights. Running UWP apps as...

The path from a desktop app to a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app

Source: The path from a desktop app to a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app | Building Apps for Windows

Brink, Sep 8, 2020
Thema:

The settings app does not display some options without admin rights. Running UWP apps as...

1. The settings app does not display some options without admin rights. Running UWP apps as... - Similar Threads - settings app does

2. How to Run an App Without Admin Privileges

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Run an App Without Admin Privileges: I was downloading a Roblox fps unlocker and i clicked on the app but it said that I needed admin privileges to run italso i was using the Microsoft client for RobloxI'm just trying to play Roblox with high Fps...
  3. How to Run an App Without Admin Privileges

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Run an App Without Admin Privileges: I was downloading a Roblox fps unlocker and i clicked on the app but it said that I needed admin privileges to run italso i was using the Microsoft client for RobloxI'm just trying to play Roblox with high Fps...
  4. How to Run an App Without Admin Privileges

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Apps not running as admin.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apps not running as admin.: i cant run apps as an administrator,it say "restriction" even tho i am the only administrator https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/apps-not-running-as-admin/78bb2e04-a624-409e-8a1f-3252a3e9f9ff
  6. Apps not running as admin.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps not running as admin.: i cant run apps as an administrator,it say "restriction" even tho i am the only administrator https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/apps-not-running-as-admin/78bb2e04-a624-409e-8a1f-3252a3e9f9ff
  7. The settings app does not display some options without admin rights.

in Windows 10 Support
    The settings app does not display some options without admin rights.: Hello everybody, In the (good and better) old control panel, which unfortunately Microsoft is letting die more and more, you get a UAC request or the user login dialog for certain settings. Unfortunately, this is not the case with the settings app, here - if the user does...
  8. Run UWP apps with admin rights, start software as admin without password.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Run UWP apps with admin rights, start software as admin without password.: Hello everybody, I have two problems regarding user accounts without admin rights: UWP apps: Is there really no way to execute UWP apps like "Settings" with admin rights? Win32/64 software: Would like to run a software with admin rights, but the user should not get the...
  9. Cannot run some Programs on Program Files without Admin rights

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot run some Programs on Program Files without Admin rights: Hi, Recent days, my pc cannot run some programs: - SQL Server Management Studio [ATTACH] - Visual Studio cannot Publish websites with FTP publishing mode - Logitech Gaming Software - lgcore.exe cannot run at start up. To fix it, I have to set combability mode of exe...
  10. UWP without right display driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UWP without right display driver: Is that posible to run UWP-based game without correct display driver? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uwp-without-right-display-driver/78b0e606-2cc8-4d45-adc7-68b416fd7aca