Windows 10: "The shadow copy provider had an error 0x80042306"

Discus and support "The shadow copy provider had an error 0x80042306" in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After trying to create a system restore point, I got the error message in the title. I have tried all of the solutions I have read about using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by atomich, Mar 9, 2021.

1. atomich Win User

"The shadow copy provider had an error 0x80042306"

After trying to create a system restore point, I got the error message in the title. I have tried all of the solutions I have read about using VSSadmin and SFC, and set VSS to start automatically, delayed. These do not fix the problem.

I believe the problem is rooted in that my C: drive was restored from an Acronis True Image backup and I don't know how to correct it. That software is not installed on the problem machine, but was used as a bootable version on a disk to restore the backed up partition. Could someone help me resolve the conflict so I can create restoration points and Create a Recovery Drive also from within Windows 10 Pro?

:)

atomich, Mar 9, 2021

2. shadow copy provider error 0x80042306

shadow copy provider error 0x80042306

Dr. NaumannGerd, Mar 9, 2021
  3. shadow copy provider error 0x80042306

Dear Mr. Ado,

I am neither part of the first group (programmers and developers) nor of the second (IT professionals). I am a simple end user.

Apparently, there are multiple end users having the same issues I have (Results for all categories - Microsoft Community).

One of many examples: AlexCavicchioli
    replied on August 6, 2015

In reply to Albert_Lim's post on August 6, 2015

I think it is a bug......its driving me bat....tried everything to solve it but to no avail.........I was very happy with win10.........great upgrade...all was good
    till the backup issue including image creation and restore points.....so as long as everything

works I am ok....but if I have to restore I am dammed.......feels like Russian roulette..... lets hope Microsoft fixes it fast.........:-(

So it’s not me or my computer. Please help me fix it.

Kind regards

Gerd

Von: Microsoft Community [mailto:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***]

Gesendet: Montag, 27. November 2017 13:14

An: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Betreff: Rate a recent reply: shadow copy provider error 0x80042306

Microsoft Community

Rate a recent reply

Hi ,

You received a reply from John Ado to your question
    shadow copy provider error 0x80042306.

Did it resolve the problem? We’d love to get your feedback.

Give feedback

Unsubscribe:

On the question
    , select the ellipsis (...) and then select Unsubscribe.

This mailbox is unattended. Please do not reply to this message. If you feel that you received this email in error, you can sign in and update your email settings.

Privacy Policy |
    Code of Conduct |

Update your email settings

Dr. NaumannGerd, Mar 9, 2021
  4. "The shadow copy provider had an error 0x80042306"

Windows 10: The shadow copy provider had an error 0x80042306

I have recently upgraded my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Now I cannot make a restore point and it says "The shadow copy provider had an error". Some posts suggest do chkdsk. But when I run chkdsk /scan it also shows "The shadow copy provider had an error".
    My Volume Shadow Copy service is on. I tried SFC /SCANNOW, but it says it cannot repair the problem. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

SergioVieri, Mar 9, 2021
Thema:

"The shadow copy provider had an error 0x80042306"

1. "The shadow copy provider had an error 0x80042306" - Similar Threads - shadow copy provider

2. Windows 10, "vssadmin list shadows" fails with "The shadow copy provider had an error."

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10, "vssadmin list shadows" fails with "The shadow copy provider had an error.": First Windows Logs>Application>Event 8193 VSS:Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine Output buffer overflow. Reading bad arguments. dwSize = 8. hr = 0x8000ffff, Catastrophic failure. Operation: Removing auto-release shadow copies Loading...
  3. Windows 10, "vssadmin list shadows" fails with "The shadow copy provider had an error."

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10, "vssadmin list shadows" fails with "The shadow copy provider had an error.": First Windows Logs>Application>Event 8193 VSS:Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine Output buffer overflow. Reading bad arguments. dwSize = 8. hr = 0x8000ffff, Catastrophic failure. Operation: Removing auto-release shadow copies Loading...
  4. Windows 10, "vssadmin list shadows" fails with "The shadow copy provider had an error."

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Shadow copy creation returns value 10 Shadow copy provider vetoed the operation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shadow copy creation returns value 10 Shadow copy provider vetoed the operation: OS: windows 10 ProBuild: 21H1I got 10 as return value when I try to create a new shadow copy.Searching, I found this microsoft articlehttps://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/desktop/vsswmi/create-method-in-class-win32-shadowcopy10 value indicates "Shadow...
  6. Volume Shadow Copy Service errors 0x0000007E, 0x80042306, 0x80070057 in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Volume Shadow Copy Service errors 0x0000007E, 0x80042306, 0x80070057 in Windows 10: [ATTACH]In today’s post, we will explore the cause and then provide possible remediations for the issue of usability limit for Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) […] This post Volume Shadow Copy Service errors 0x0000007E, 0x80042306, 0x80070057 in Windows 10 is from...
  7. Can't create restore point - "The shadow copy provider had an error..... (0x80042306)

Can't create restore point - "The shadow copy provider had an error..... (0x80042306): I'm unable to create a restore point. I started the volume shadow service and it still does not work. Anything else I can try? Thanks!...
  8. The shadow copy provider had an unexpected error (0x8004230F)

in Windows 10 News
    The shadow copy provider had an unexpected error (0x8004230F): [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Before making any changes to our PC, many of us first create a system restore point. This practice ensures that the system files and settings return to an earlier point in time without affecting personal files, should something go wrong. [...] This post The...
  9. Shadow Copy Error 0x80042306 and Not Able to Create Restore Point

Shadow Copy Error 0x80042306 and Not Able to Create Restore Point: I installed the new Win 10 Update [took all afternoon and right up t0 2130 at night]. It went O.K.; I had only to retrieve icons for some folders, but I found I could not create a Restore Point for the above reason. I looked at the Event Log (!), I searched for answers...
  10. Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider: Hi. I am having a technical issue with my Windows 10 OS I don’t want to have to do a Factory restore it’s not big issue I am having it’s the issue with Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider. I went in to the Registry and fixed one of the values I had to fix this one...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. The shadow copy provider had an error 0x80042306