Windows 10: The shadow copy provider had an unexpected error (0x8004230F)

Discus and support The shadow copy provider had an unexpected error (0x8004230F) in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Before making any changes to our PC, many of us first create a system restore point. This practice ensures that the system files and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Sep 29, 2019.

1. WinClub New Member

The shadow copy provider had an unexpected error (0x8004230F)

WinClub, Sep 29, 2019

2. Error (0x8078006B) and Error (0x8004230F)

The shadow copy provider had an unexpected error (0x8004230F) 22c810bc-631f-4df8-a494-cc2450474d26?upload=true.jpg

The backup failed.

Windows Backup failed to create the shared protection point on the source volumes. (0x8078006B)

Additional Information:

The shadow copy provider had an unexpected error while trying to process the specified operation. (0x8004230F)

I tried to do backup of my ASUS laptop into an external drive, the first two was successful but suddenly those error messages appeared. I tried multiple approach from different forums and still not working and even used a new external drive yet still failed.

SherwinCruz, Sep 29, 2019
  3. f14tomcat Win User
    A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error

If this just started happening, and because of the part of the error I highlighted, you may have have a damaged system component. Suggest you run sfc /scannow to see if it finds any damaged components and can fix them, then reboot and try again.

Tutorial if needed:

*Arrow Run SFC Command in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

f14tomcat, Sep 29, 2019
  4. Thelps Win User

A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error

Tried to create a Restore Point today and received the following error:

"The Restore Point Could Not be Created for the following reason:

A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error. Check the application event log for more information. (0x80042302).

Volume Shadow Copy
    and Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider services are set to "Automatic" and are both running.

Are there any other services that the System Restore is dependent upon?

Can link EventLogs for further information if needed.

Thelps, Sep 29, 2019
Thema:

1. The shadow copy provider had an unexpected error (0x8004230F) - Similar Threads - shadow copy provider

2. Windows 10, "vssadmin list shadows" fails with "The shadow copy provider had an error."

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10, "vssadmin list shadows" fails with "The shadow copy provider had an error.": First Windows Logs>Application>Event 8193 VSS:Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine Output buffer overflow. Reading bad arguments. dwSize = 8. hr = 0x8000ffff, Catastrophic failure. Operation: Removing auto-release shadow copies Loading...
  3. Windows 10, "vssadmin list shadows" fails with "The shadow copy provider had an error."

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10, "vssadmin list shadows" fails with "The shadow copy provider had an error.": First Windows Logs>Application>Event 8193 VSS:Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine Output buffer overflow. Reading bad arguments. dwSize = 8. hr = 0x8000ffff, Catastrophic failure. Operation: Removing auto-release shadow copies Loading...
  4. Windows 10, "vssadmin list shadows" fails with "The shadow copy provider had an error."

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Shadow copy creation returns value 10 Shadow copy provider vetoed the operation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shadow copy creation returns value 10 Shadow copy provider vetoed the operation: OS: windows 10 ProBuild: 21H1I got 10 as return value when I try to create a new shadow copy.Searching, I found this microsoft articlehttps://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/desktop/vsswmi/create-method-in-class-win32-shadowcopy10 value indicates "Shadow...
  6. "The shadow copy provider had an error 0x80042306"

"The shadow copy provider had an error 0x80042306": After trying to create a system restore point, I got the error message in the title. I have tried all of the solutions I have read about using VSSadmin and SFC, and set VSS to start automatically, delayed. These do not fix the problem. I believe the problem is rooted in...
  7. 0X8004230F -Windows 10 Creating a Backup Image Failing on Volume Shadow Copy Error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    0X8004230F -Windows 10 Creating a Backup Image Failing on Volume Shadow Copy Error: I am trying to backup my Win 10 machine after having it crash 3 days ago. I want a clean install image backup so in future I will not have to reinstall and everything all the time. So I am using the Windows & Backup tool and I am getting the Volume Shadow Copy Error that...
  8. Can't create restore point - "The shadow copy provider had an error..... (0x80042306)

Can't create restore point - "The shadow copy provider had an error..... (0x80042306): I'm unable to create a restore point. I started the volume shadow service and it still does not work. Anything else I can try? Thanks!...
  9. Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider: Hi. I am having a technical issue with my Windows 10 OS I don’t want to have to do a Factory restore it’s not big issue I am having it’s the issue with Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider. I went in to the Registry and fixed one of the values I had to fix this one...
  10. A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error: Tried to create a Restore Point today and received the following error: "The Restore Point Could Not be Created for the following reason: A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error. Check the application event log for more information....