Windows 10: The shortcut... which isn't

Discus and support The shortcut... which isn't in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Since migrating from Win7 to Win10 I've noticed that some of my shortcuts are not working. Instead I get a messsage about "Network Resources". Here's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Swifty, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Swifty Win User

The shortcut... which isn't

Since migrating from Win7 to Win10 I've noticed that some of my shortcuts are not working. Instead I get a messsage about "Network Resources". Here's an example of the properties of one of them:

The shortcut... which isn't [​IMG]

The full target is: "C:\Users\Steve\Documents\Blood Pressure Readings.xlsx"

The error popup is:

The shortcut... which isn't [​IMG]

... you'll notice that Windows10 doesn't bother to tell us WHAT network resource is unavailable. That would make things too easy!

The location of the shortcut itself is C:\$User\Stuff\Frequently Used Documents

I can't see anything in this setup which requires any network access. If I navigate to the folder containing "C:\Users\Steve\Documents\Blood Pressure Readings.xlsx" and then create a new shortcut to that file, in C:\$User\Stuff\Frequently Used Documents then that works. And I cannot see any difference between the two shortcuts' properties.

However, I can open one of the working shortcuts with my text editor, but I get the network error if I try to open one of the failing shortcuts in my text editor. How odd.
    I was going to attach the contents of the two shortcuts, as text files, but since I can't get at the failing shortcuts, there's no point.

:)

Swifty, Aug 3, 2016

2. Quick Tip: Create desktop shortcuts in Windows 10

Though this works, what you see is the Edge logo with the name of the shortcut underneath. You do not see the logo of the web site for which you are creating the shortcut. If you're a visual person, this isn't the ideal solution. I used the instructions
    provided by BillynPatPeterson on August 5, 2015 which worked like a charm.

CJ Harris23, Aug 3, 2016
  3. Quick Tip: Create desktop shortcuts in Windows 10

Hi, yes that is true with Edge, and thanks for the recommendation using Internet Explorer.

Michelle365, Aug 3, 2016
  4. The shortcut... which isn't

Just a thought
    In windows 10 and 8.1 ..
    My documents folder has changed to Documents

That can be the reason.
    Try to Restore all the Libraries and or Try to recreate a new shortcut again.

manish9009, Aug 4, 2016
  5. Swifty Win User
    I don't like the sound of "Restore all the Libraries"; I'm trying to change as little as possible in my Windows 10 system until I regain my confidence in it. I don't mind making small changes, whose effects I understand.

In this case, my obvious choice is simply to replace the failing shortcuts with new ones, then to throw the failing shortcuts out. Then to forget all about this episode. Fortunately, forgetting is one skill at which I'm getting very much better at, at my age. *Biggrin

Swifty, Aug 4, 2016
  6. EdTittel Win User
    Are you sure you don't mean $username? I've just done some extensive searching around and have learned that $user is not a pre-defined Windows environment variable. It's often used in PowerShell, Python, and so forth, but it's not defined by default in Windows. Experiments at the command line also show it's not defined on my machine(s). Do you know how this got there? Very interesting!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Aug 4, 2016
  7. m0nk3n Win User
    somehow when a friend of mine wanted to move all his mp3's to a different folder, he used the auto tag "feature" of sorts to tag them back into winamp so that he could play the songs instead of getting error..
    also try take ownership \ move it to another folder \ drive and back again.

m0nk3n, Aug 4, 2016
  8. Swifty Win User

$User - used as the name of a directory - is a throwback to my career in IBM. We were issued with PCs/Laptops loaded with Windows and a pre-configured C:\$User\ directory.

We were encouraged to store all our own data under this $User directory, as that would get automatically backed up, and when we got a system upgrade, it would get migrated.

AFAIK the "$" was there just to make the $User directory float to the top in Explorer.

I doubt that any of this is relevant; I'm just tidying up loose ends.

Swifty, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. The shortcut... which isn't - Similar Threads - shortcut isn't

2. Windows keyboard shortcuts don't work unless a windows system dialogue is open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows keyboard shortcuts don't work unless a windows system dialogue is open: My windows keyboard shortcuts stopped working. But if I open any windows settings dialogue, they work fine. Game mode is off. It just started happening....
  3. Windows keyboard shortcuts don't work unless a windows system dialogue is open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows keyboard shortcuts don't work unless a windows system dialogue is open: My windows keyboard shortcuts stopped working. But if I open any windows settings dialogue, they work fine. Game mode is off. It just started happening....
  4. Shortcut keys appearing on Microsoft Word ribbon when pressing backspace

Shortcut keys appearing on Microsoft Word ribbon when pressing backspace: Hello! A friend of mine is currently having trouble with shortcut keys appearing on the Microsoft Word ribbon. It doesn't affect anything else but it is somewhat annoying because it happens every single time she presses backspace. I've tried disabling some things in the...
  5. Shortcut keys appearing on Microsoft Word ribbon when pressing backspace

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shortcut keys appearing on Microsoft Word ribbon when pressing backspace: Hello! A friend of mine is currently having trouble with shortcut keys appearing on the Microsoft Word ribbon. It doesn't affect anything else but it is somewhat annoying because it happens every single time she presses backspace. I've tried disabling some things in the...
  6. Why isn't the default setting for desktop shortcuts controlled by OneDrive, "Always keep on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why isn't the default setting for desktop shortcuts controlled by OneDrive, "Always keep on...: The default setting in OneDrive for shortcuts on the desktop which are stored in the "Desktop" folder in OneDrive is not correct. It should be "Always keep on this device" for the following reasons:1. The ".lnk" files which contain the shortcuts are very small, and would not...
  7. Why isn't the default setting for desktop shortcuts controlled by OneDrive, "Always keep on...

Why isn't the default setting for desktop shortcuts controlled by OneDrive, "Always keep on...: The default setting in OneDrive for shortcuts on the desktop which are stored in the "Desktop" folder in OneDrive is not correct. It should be "Always keep on this device" for the following reasons:1. The ".lnk" files which contain the shortcuts are very small, and would not...
  8. Why isn't the Microsoft edge shortcut staying where I want?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why isn't the Microsoft edge shortcut staying where I want?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/adhesh004 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hf5byp/why_isnt_the_microsoft_edge_shortcut_staying/
  9. Game from ms store wont play. The shortcut remains on desktop but there isn't any option to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game from ms store wont play. The shortcut remains on desktop but there isn't any option to...: I recently downloaded a game from MS Store. It's called Age of Empires. I'd been playing this game for about two weeks now when the icon suddenly became a blank sheet on desktop, and wouldn't work. At first I was asked to reinstall it from Store but that simply won't work,...
  10. This PC shortcut isn't available in Search

in Cortana
    This PC shortcut isn't available in Search: Hello, I don't know when it was changed, but actually when you type in search 'this PC' to find shortcut, it shows "Show workgroup belong to this PC" (can be different in EN Windows version), so i can't quick entry "this PC", because Search Best Results don't show what I...