Windows 10: The shortcuts of installed programs goes to the Public folder

Discus and support The shortcuts of installed programs goes to the Public folder in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; When installing programs most place their shortscuts in the Public folder instead of placing them in the user folder. What am i doing wrong? I never... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by klappa, Feb 1, 2016.

1. klappa Win User

The shortcuts of installed programs goes to the Public folder

When installing programs most place their shortscuts in the Public folder instead of placing them in the user folder. What am i doing wrong? I never had this problem with Windows 8.

:)

klappa, Feb 1, 2016
  2. Luka_90 Win User

How to have my shortcuts back in user\Desktop folder

Hello guys,

I have windows 10, and I noticed that when I install some programm, the shortcut is created but in the WRONG FOLDER!

All my shortcuts are situated in Public\Desktop , and the user Desktop is empty!! (THIS PC -> Desktop)

Is really hard to work for me, cause i use lot of shortcuts. It never happened to me this before.

So on the desktop i see everything, but when I go in the folder <user>\Desktop i see alsost nothing (just some files and folders that i created on desktop). All installed software shortcuts are situated in <public>\Desktop!

please how can this be solved? Is there any solution? I want that all the shortcuts created by programs that I install are present in <user>\Desktop and not in the public one.....

In windows 7 and 8 everything was working fine....

tnx!

EDIT:

I noticed that: after some installation shortcut goes to <user>\DESKTOP folder and some goes in <public>\DESKTOP

how to make them creating only in <user>\Desktop

Luka_90, Feb 1, 2016
  3. Windows 10 user program not visible to other users

This is caused by a poorly written installation program. You must now move the game's shortcut from your desktop to this folder:
    C:\Users\Public\Desktop

Frederik Long, Feb 1, 2016
  4. lx07 Win User

You aren't doing anything wrong. It is up to the author of the installer where they put shortcuts.

Almost all put them in public start menu and most put them on public desktop too (although you can often opt out of that).

Unless you have a choice (almost never) then all you can do is move the shortcuts manually from %programdata% to %appdata% and delete them from the public desktop if necessary.

lx07, Feb 1, 2016
  5. klappa Win User
    Thanks for reply! That kinda sucks! Why did Microsoft change that? This wasn't the same with any Windows version before 10.

klappa, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. The shortcuts of installed programs goes to the Public folder - Similar Threads - shortcuts installed programs

2. How to find a shortcut on the public desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to find a shortcut on the public desktop: Hello! Going through a major upgrade of one of our systems and we need to make sure that all PCs with a specific shortcut/URL are up to date. Problem is that this was not documented well in the past and I'm not sure which PCs in our environment have this shortcut. This...
  3. How to find a shortcut on the public desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to find a shortcut on the public desktop: Hello! Going through a major upgrade of one of our systems and we need to make sure that all PCs with a specific shortcut/URL are up to date. Problem is that this was not documented well in the past and I'm not sure which PCs in our environment have this shortcut. This...
  4. How to find a shortcut on the public desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. why are shortcuts being saved in the Public Folder for programs that I download In Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why are shortcuts being saved in the Public Folder for programs that I download In Windows 11: When I download a program from the Internet and install it, the desktop shortcut is going to the Public Desktop Folder instead of my Desktop folder. Why? How to stop!...
  6. why are shortcuts being saved in the Public Folder for programs that I download In Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why are shortcuts being saved in the Public Folder for programs that I download In Windows 11: When I download a program from the Internet and install it, the desktop shortcut is going to the Public Desktop Folder instead of my Desktop folder. Why? How to stop!...
  7. Synchronizing program and folder shortcut

Synchronizing program and folder shortcut: Hello, dear ones! I have Microsoft 365 Personal and one of its benefits is OneDrive with 1TB. Well, I synchronize the following folders: Workspace; Documents; Images. Well, when installing a new program, I end up allowing the creation of a shortcut on the desktop...
  8. Question about user putting shortcut folder to users/public

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about user putting shortcut folder to users/public: If a user on a PC (with limited access, so not an admin) creates a shortcut to a folder to its own files and then puts that folder in a users/public folder, will everyone else have access to the files in this folder? submitted by /u/dddj24 [link] [comments]...
  9. Shortcut to a program keeps disappearing from a folder.

Shortcut to a program keeps disappearing from a folder.: I'm running W10 on a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series laptop. Among the programs I use in maintaining my system is IObit's "Advanced System Care," and I keep a shortcut to it in a folder along with other shortcuts. I generally run ASC once a week. For the past three or four...
  10. sharing Public folder

sharing Public folder: I have upgraded an old Vista machine to W10. The old machine can read the shared Public folder on my base computer (W10). The new W10 computer can't find the Public folder. I've made all the suggested settings for sharing, but the Public folder from the base computer can't be...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. The shortcuts of installed programs goes to the Public folder