Windows 10: the source and destination file names are the same

Discus and support the source and destination file names are the same in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I get this message when trying burn files to a DVD using DVD as active storage. I can only choose Skip or Cancel. I've done both. When I move the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by NealBooher, Jan 20, 2020.

1. the source and destination file names are the same

I get this message when trying burn files to a DVD using DVD as active storage. I can only choose Skip or Cancel. I've done both. When I move the DVD to another computer it doesn't show the files have been burned onto the DVD.

:)

NealBooher, Jan 20, 2020

2. Can't open or rename file (name is too long) WTF?

Thread necro...

When in doubt, use CMD.

1. Run CMD
    2. Use CD <path> to navigate to the directory where the file exists.
    3. Use the DIR command to get the list of files. DIR will likely abbreviate the ridiculously long named file with NAME~1.
    4. Use the MOVE <source> <destination> to give the file a new name. For example: move "NAME~1" "MyShortName"
    5. ...
    6. PROFIT!

CMD is always the answer. *Wink the source and destination file names are the same ;)

FordGT90Concept, Jan 20, 2020
  3. Robocopy Destination Naming Confusion

My command is:
    Code:
    Have I made an error again?

Earlier I tried to run a similar command as User.
    It produced a destination file named “Documents”.

So I tried again as PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>
    I got the same results on the destination side. “Documents.”

Thinking I had missed something I went to delete the destination “Documents” folder and try again.

At..Aare you sure you want to delete... the prompt showed the correct folder name "HP.Files."

So why is W10 changing my specified destination name in the properties and destination, and keeping it for the delete operation?

I still had the first User run on a different drive. Same problem: a conflict between the destination displayed name and the Properties name, and the name in the delete operation.

How can I get the right name to appear in the destination?

Everything else beside the name seems to working okay.

Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions.

mikeincousa, Jan 20, 2020
  4. pepanee Win User

the source and destination file names are the same

Robocopy Destination Naming Confusion

I use a program with a GUI (Graphical User Interface) that does the same thing as RoboCopy. It's called FastCopy
    FastCopy

If you go to the link, look at the picture at the right.
    You got a Source folder, a Destination folder, and a drop down list that let's you copy and overwrite, or copy and only copy over the different items, etc...

Yet here are the options that I have to save data from one folder to another:

the source and destination file names are the same [​IMG]

pepanee, Jan 20, 2020
Thema:

the source and destination file names are the same

1. the source and destination file names are the same - Similar Threads - source destination file

2. DVD burn: "The source and destination file names are the same", pop-up error and Win10 will...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DVD burn: "The source and destination file names are the same", pop-up error and Win10 will...: I am caught in a loop. whenever I try to burn images to a DVD I get "The source and destination file names are the same". there are NO files on the DVD, I have checked and rechecked yet I continue to get this message. I have tried ejecting and starting over; the disc shows as...
  3. DVD burn: "The source and destination file names are the same", pop-up error and Win10 will...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DVD burn: "The source and destination file names are the same", pop-up error and Win10 will...: I am caught in a loop. whenever I try to burn images to a DVD I get "The source and destination file names are the same". there are NO files on the DVD, I have checked and rechecked yet I continue to get this message. I have tried ejecting and starting over; the disc shows as...
  4. DVD burn: "The source and destination file names are the same", pop-up error and Win10 will...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Fix for source and destination have the same name message

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Fix for source and destination have the same name message: I am running windows 10 on my Toshiba laptop and when I tried to drag a file to my dvd-rw I kept getting the destination and source are the same message but I found if you open file explorer and scroll down to your cdrw or dvdrw drive and open it then drag the file to the box...
  6. Fix for source and destination have the same name message

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fix for source and destination have the same name message: I am running windows 10 on my Toshiba laptop and when I tried to drag a file to my dvd-rw I kept getting the destination and source are the same message but I found if you open file explorer and scroll down to your cdrw or dvdrw drive and open it then drag the file to the box...
  7. Fix for source and destination have the same name message

8. Libraries in file Explorer point to the same source & have the same name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Libraries in file Explorer point to the same source & have the same name: Hi! My computer is running really slow and I was advised to created a partition to separate my program files from all other files in my computer. I went ahead and made the partition. Then in file Explorer I pointed all the libraries to the new drive however I hadn't first...
  9. Libraries in file Explorer point to the same source & have the same name

Libraries in file Explorer point to the same source & have the same name: Hi! My computer is running really slow and I was advised to created a partition to separate my program files from all other files in my computer. I went ahead and made the partition. Then in file Explorer I pointed all the libraries to the new drive however I hadn't first...
  10. "Source and destination are same" In OneDrive

in Windows 10 Support
    "Source and destination are same" In OneDrive: I don't fully understand what condition is causing this, but here's what I observed: I moved some Excel spreadsheets and txt files to OneDrive so that I can work on them from either of two computers. The spreadsheet has macros that create new files, or maybe I should say...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the source and destination file are the same

2. the source and destination file names are the same

3. source and destination files are the same

4. transfering files the source and destination files are the same,
  5. file source same as destination file,
  6. the source and destination are the same,
  7. the source and destination fil name are the same,
  8. the source and destination files are the same,
  9. the source and destination filenames are the same,
  10. IF COPY ABORTS WHY IS THE SAME ON DESTINATION SAME AS SOURCE,
  11. source and destination are the same,