Windows 10: The source file name(s) are larger than is supported by the file system

Discus and support The source file name(s) are larger than is supported by the file system in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Microsoft keeps a limit of 258 characters for the name of a ‘file or sub-folder path.’ If this limit is exceeded, you might not be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 3, 2019.

1. WinClub New Member

The source file name(s) are larger than is supported by the file system

WinClub, May 3, 2019
  2. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, May 3, 2019
  3. Can't open or rename file (name is too long) WTF?

Thread necro...

When in doubt, use CMD.

1. Run CMD
    2. Use CD <path> to navigate to the directory where the file exists.
    3. Use the DIR command to get the list of files. DIR will likely abbreviate the ridiculously long named file with NAME~1.
    4. Use the MOVE <source> <destination> to give the file a new name. For example: move "NAME~1" "MyShortName"
    5. ...
    6. PROFIT!

CMD is always the answer. *Wink The source file name(s) are larger than is supported by the file system ;)

FordGT90Concept, May 3, 2019
  4. PDW911 Win User

Long File (link) Name in favorites will not delete

Changing owner does not allow the deletion of file...same error message....."the source file name(s) are larger than supported by the file system etc"..instructing to move (which doesn't do anything) or shorten name (which you can't do because name is
    too long)

PDW911, May 3, 2019
Thema:

1. The source file name(s) are larger than is supported by the file system - Similar Threads - source file name

2. C:\Users\NAME folder is much larger than the combined size of the files it contains

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C:\Users\NAME folder is much larger than the combined size of the files it contains: I am trying to free up space and I noticed my Users folder was larger than I thought it would be. I am on Windows 10My C:\Users folder contains 2 folders. One with my name and the other called 'Public'. When I check their sizes Public is small 121 KB with not many folders and...
  3. C:\Users\NAME folder is much larger than the combined size of the files it contains

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C:\Users\NAME folder is much larger than the combined size of the files it contains: I am trying to free up space and I noticed my Users folder was larger than I thought it would be. I am on Windows 10My C:\Users folder contains 2 folders. One with my name and the other called 'Public'. When I check their sizes Public is small 121 KB with not many folders and...
  4. C:\Users\NAME folder is much larger than the combined size of the files it contains

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. How to submit a file for malware analysis that is larger than 500mb

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to submit a file for malware analysis that is larger than 500mb: I work for an eLearning company that makes small training simulations with Unreal Engine 4. Currently one of our .exes triggers the windows defender smartscreen which is concerning to the end user. A solution we are trying to pursue is to submit a file for malware analysis...
  6. List file names than a folder.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    List file names than a folder.: Is there a bat file to generate the list of file names that I have inside a folder? If possible you can help me to do it or give me suggestions. Thanks in advance. Please. 162655
  7. File history source file

File history source file: I have a large drive D that I use for all data files, and a small SSD drive C for OS and apps. File History does not recognize the drive D as a SOURCE file for the data to be backed up. How do I get File History to recognize drive D as the source?...
  8. the source and destination file names are the same

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    the source and destination file names are the same: I get this message when trying burn files to a DVD using DVD as active storage. I can only choose Skip or Cancel. I've done both. When I move the DVD to another computer it doesn't show the files have been burned onto the DVD....
  9. File size larger than physical drive storage

File size larger than physical drive storage: Can some one please explain this to me. I need to access the photos but windows keeps telling me i don't have enough space. I only have 80Gb drive but the photo folder i am trying to open is showing 8Tb. Can anyone help me fix this without losing the photos. Each...
  10. DISM source files could not be found: Trying to repair system files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    DISM source files could not be found: Trying to repair system files: Hi Team Ten! I have been having random blue screens, generally around memory_management. I ran memtest86 (not plus) for multiple passes, which first gave errors. Then running individual sticks in multiple slots it had no errors.I haven't run Prime95 yet, but will shortly....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the source file are larger than is supported by the file system

2. source file names larger than supported copy

3. windows the source file names are larger then is supported

4. are larger than is supported,
  5. the source file name is larger than is supported by rename file