Windows 10: The specified network location cannot be used ...... Windows backup encountered an error....

Discus and support The specified network location cannot be used ...... Windows backup encountered an error.... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; wHAT DOES this mean. I'm trying ti use windows 7 backup and restore in Windows 10?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by VinceMaguire, Oct 1, 2018.

1. The specified network location cannot be used ...... Windows backup encountered an error....

wHAT DOES this mean. I'm trying ti use windows 7 backup and restore in Windows 10?

:)

VinceMaguire, Oct 1, 2018
  2. Geekoid Win User

Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/sortname/back_up.html

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Oct 1, 2018
  3. Error code 0x80070002 after Windows 10 Backup (using Windows 7 Backup and Restore utility)

I've recently started a backup (for the first time) using the Windows 7 Backup and Restore utility.

However, it terminated with the error code 0x80070002.

The Backup Files errors were the following:

Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\Emmanuel\Documents. ErrorThe specified network location cannot be used ...... Windows backup encountered an error.... :(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))

Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\Emmanuel\Music. ErrorThe specified network location cannot be used ...... Windows backup encountered an error.... :(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))

Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\Emmanuel\Pictures. ErrorThe specified network location cannot be used ...... Windows backup encountered an error.... :(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))

Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\Emmanuel\Videos. ErrorThe specified network location cannot be used ...... Windows backup encountered an error.... :(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))

These error were probably caused by the change of the location of those directories.

In fact, I moved them from the C: hard drive (their default location) to the D: hard drive, in order to save more space on the primary drive.

However, I have no idea on how to fix this.

The following image shows the items that I chose to back up.

The specified network location cannot be used ...... Windows backup encountered an error.... e567316b-c44c-4ef4-8b46-e3b8e5c8d277.png

Now, do I need to change any setting and redo the backup all over again? Or should I keep it as it is right now, even if it showed this error?

Actually, the precise error message (for the folders listed above) was: "The backup completed but some files were skipped.".

Did the backup also include the files in the new location? Or, given that it couldn't find the folders at their default location, they weren't backed up with the rest of the files?

I'm looking forward to an answer as soon as possible.

Thank you in advance.

Emmanuel Esposito, Oct 1, 2018
  4. The specified network location cannot be used ...... Windows backup encountered an error....

Back up error 0x80070002f with two files not been complete in the backup.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Community, we understand your concern and we will try our best to help you resolve the issue.

The Error 0x80070002f occurs due to the following scenarios.

Scenario 1:

Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\<folder Name>. ErrorThe specified network location cannot be used ...... Windows backup encountered an error.... :(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))

Scenario 2:

• Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\<User Name>\AppData\LocalLow. ErrorThe specified network location cannot be used ...... Windows backup encountered an error.... :(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))
    • Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\<User Name>\Contacts. ErrorThe specified network location cannot be used ...... Windows backup encountered an error.... :(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))
    • Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\<User Name>\Searches. ErrorThe specified network location cannot be used ...... Windows backup encountered an error.... :(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))
    Causes for the above mentioned errors are:

Scenario 1: This issue occurs if you back up a library that contains custom folders that are located under your user profile.

Scenario 2: This issue occurs if the following conditions are true:

• Windows Backup tries to back up files in the LocalLow, Contacts, and Searches folders.
    • These folders are not present on your computer.
    Note: These folders are created only if certain applications are installed on the computer.

I would suggest that you perform the methods mentioned below depending on the scenario that is best suited.

For scenario 1

• Ignore the error message.
    Note The custom library files that are stored in your user profile will not be backed up.

• Move the library folder from the user profile path to a location outside the user profile path. For example, move the folder to the C:\MyLibraries folder.
    • Exclude the library from the list of files that Windows Backup backs up. Then, include the original location of the content in the library in the backup list.
    • Move the library folder to a location other than the user profile folder. Then, add a link to the moved folder from the library. Make sure that the library is included in the backup.
    For scenario 2 You can safely ignore this error message. However, you can also use one of the following methods to eliminate this error message during future backup operations:
    • Go to File HistoryLeft menu pane select
      Exclude folders, click then on Add.
    • From the left navigation pane, click on This PC,
      then click on c: drive.
    • Navigate to Users> click on your user account>select AppData
      folder and click on Select Folder.
    • Note: Follow the same steps for Searches and Contacts
    • Click Next, and then click
      Save settings and exit
    • Perform the backup again if desire, and the operation will progress without any error.

Hope this information helps.

Vanessa Sohtun, Oct 1, 2018
Thema:

The specified network location cannot be used ...... Windows backup encountered an error....

1. The specified network location cannot be used ...... Windows backup encountered an error.... - Similar Threads - specified network location

2. encountering the error ,''the system cannot find the file specified.'' when installing the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    encountering the error ,''the system cannot find the file specified.'' when installing the...: My system information. hp ProBook 440 g8,windows 11 home. I uninstalled my audio drivers both from the audio inputs and outputs section and sound, video and game controller section in the device manager. Now the audio inputs and outputs and sound, video and game controller...
  3. encountering the error ,''the system cannot find the file specified.'' when installing the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    encountering the error ,''the system cannot find the file specified.'' when installing the...: My system information. hp ProBook 440 g8,windows 11 home. I uninstalled my audio drivers both from the audio inputs and outputs section and sound, video and game controller section in the device manager. Now the audio inputs and outputs and sound, video and game controller...
  4. encountering the error ,''the system cannot find the file specified.'' when installing the...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Cannot Navigate to a Network Location Using Address Bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Navigate to a Network Location Using Address Bar: Hi Community,I have a Windows 10 user that has several mapped network drives. The user would prefer to use the address bar located at the top of file explorer to get to a network drive location, such as entering \\remote-network-locationin the address bar I marked with the...
  6. Windows cannot locate the disc and partition specified...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows cannot locate the disc and partition specified...: After previously deleting my Windows 10 partition, I attempted to redownload it with Bootcamp and found myself in a loop of a message reading "Windows cannot locate the disc and partition specified in the unattend answer file's <ImageInstall> setting. Make sure the setting...
  7. Windows cannot locate the disc and partition specified...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows cannot locate the disc and partition specified...: After previously deleting my Windows 10 partition, I attempted to redownload it with Bootcamp and found myself in a loop of a message reading "Windows cannot locate the disc and partition specified in the unattend answer file's <ImageInstall> setting. Make sure the setting...
  8. Windows cannot locate the disc and partition specified...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. The specified network location cannot be used

The specified network location cannot be used: Hi,I'm trying to backup my windows 10 laptop to my Synology NAS but when I try to use the old windows 7 backup I get the error message:The specified network location cannot be usedI know the path and credentials are correct as I've also set up the new windows 10 backup file...
  10. Cannot update windows "Error encountered"

Cannot update windows "Error encountered": [ATTACH]Hi, can I know why my Windows suddenly cannot update? Im currently using Windows 10 Pro with latest version (Version 1803, OS build 17134.167) and suddenly show that error encountered on windows update page, it also show that "We couldn’t connect to the update...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the specified network location cannot be used

2. the specified network location cannot be used ox80070005 window 10

3. specified network location cannot be used