Windows 10: "The specified network password is not correct."

Discus and support "The specified network password is not correct." in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Months ago I mapped a drive on my Windows 10 v. 2004 laptop to my desktop, both on an ethernet connection, using net use z: \\192.168.0.103\d /p:yes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by coffent, Jul 28, 2020.

1. coffent Win User

"The specified network password is not correct."

Months ago I mapped a drive on my Windows 10 v. 2004 laptop to my desktop, both on an ethernet connection, using

net use z: \\192.168.0.103\d /p:yes /user:{username} {password}

This has worked fine for months, but today, having made no changes I'm aware of, when I tried to access the mapped drive from the desktop I got a message something to the effect that the drive name is already in use. I unmapped the drive using

net use z: \\192.168.0.103\d /delete

But now when I try to remap it using the same username and password, I get

System error 86 has occurred. The specified network password is not correct.

As far as I know, the network password *is* correct, being the same one I used before.

I have also mapped a drive on my desktop to my laptop. Once again, it's worked fine for months, but now it asks for "network credentials" and rejects my password. (I don't password-protect my desktop, but leaving the password blank doesn't work.)

What password is the "network password"? Is it the same one I use to log into my laptop, which I can do successfully? If not, what is it? In any case, how can I reset it?

:)

coffent, Jul 28, 2020
  2. Kapil Arya MVP, Jul 28, 2020
  3. jim77 Win User
    Why the specified network password is not correct?

Why the specified network password is not correct? My password is CORRECT!! It's a good password and the only password used on these computers. When I try to network from my win 10 laptop to win 10 desktop I get this error message? I went to Control Panel Networking and troubleshooted and it said I didn't have permission to network. Yet I had no trouble when I was working the same computers in win 8.1 and win 7. There has been no change in networking procedure in win 10 which worked well in win 7 and 8.1."The specified network password is not correct." :)

jim77, Jul 28, 2020
  4. wjs4 Win User

The specified network password is not correct

Thank you, spapakons.

I had already tried using hostname\username, but my username is an Office 365 e-mail that is not connected to any host name. Could it be that you can't share using that kind of username? If so, the error message is grossly misleading and it's a very unfortunate thing not to support.

I went to "Advanced Sharing Settings" and managed to find "Password Protected Sharing" under "All Networks." I turned it off on both computers, and then got the following message from each computer when trying to access the other:

"The specified network password is not correct." [​IMG]

Thema:

1. "The specified network password is not correct." - Similar Threads - specified network password

2. Cannot share a folder between Windows 11 PCs. "The specified network password is not correct"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot share a folder between Windows 11 PCs. "The specified network password is not correct": I have a desktop and a laptop which both run Windows 11. I am trying to share a folder from my PC to my Laptop. When I try to access the folder on the laptop using the path: `//DESKTOP/Installers` Installers is the shared folder. I get a "The specified network password is not...
  3. Cannot share a folder between Windows 11 PCs. "The specified network password is not correct"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot share a folder between Windows 11 PCs. "The specified network password is not correct": I have a desktop and a laptop which both run Windows 11. I am trying to share a folder from my PC to my Laptop. When I try to access the folder on the laptop using the path: `//DESKTOP/Installers` Installers is the shared folder. I get a "The specified network password is not...
  4. The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different user name and password

in Windows 10 News
    The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different user name and password: If when you try to map a network drive in Windows 10, but you are unable to map a drive or connect a drive remotely with the error message The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different user name and password, then this post is intended to help you with...
  5. correct password not recognized

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    correct password not recognized: win 10 wont recognize my correct password. I cant get past the opening screen. tried all the fixes i saw on line. nothing works. Not a tech guy and need the computer. frustrated. Any fixes microsoft???...
  6. Not accepting correct password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Not accepting correct password: For some reason my laptop rebooting continuosly blue screen. After surfing online I came to know this can fixed through commands. Before command prompt pops up, it asked me to enter my outlook password. No matter how many times I entered the correct password it shows...
  7. Specifying network interfaces for apps

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Specifying network interfaces for apps: I'd try to clarify the title using an example. I have two available network interfaces: Interface A: Wifi (Example IP: 192.168.1.82) Interface B: Mobile/Metric (Example IP: 197.7.24.16) What I'm trying to do is: Run steam (Or any other app) using Interface A (wifi) for...
  8. Enter Network Credentials Refuses Correct Home Network Password

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Enter Network Credentials Refuses Correct Home Network Password: As of this week I have two desktop computers on my home network, one a 10-year-old Windows 7 with a 2-year-old SSD HD, the other a new Windows 10 model. Every time I attempt to save or open anything cross network from one computer to the other, or access the other computer's...
  9. The specified network password is not correct

The specified network password is not correct: My desktop and laptop are both running Windows 10, and I sign into both computers using my e-mail address and password from Office 365. On each computer I have enabled sharing for each drive with the permissions I want. I am not using the HomeGroup feature because I want to...
  10. Why the specified network password is not correct?

Why the specified network password is not correct?: Why the specified network password is not correct? My password is CORRECT!! It's a good password and the only password used on these computers. When I try to network from my win 10 laptop to win 10 desktop I get this error message? I went to Control Panel Networking and...