Windows 10: The Strange Case of the Missing Pause Feature Update Setting

Discus and support The Strange Case of the Missing Pause Feature Update Setting in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; This has been discussed in another thread, but I came across some strange issues with this in trying to get the "Pause Feature Updates" setting to come... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by johnpd, Oct 15, 2019.

1. johnpd Win User

The Strange Case of the Missing Pause Feature Update Setting

This has been discussed in another thread, but I came across some strange issues with this in trying to get the "Pause Feature Updates" setting to come back after the update to v1903.

There appears to be three different methods (if you have Win10 Pro) of setting this pause value.

1. If the setting appears in the "Settings" > "Update and Security" > "Advanced options" section.
    2. Group Policy Editor in "Computer Configuration" > "Administrative Templates" > "Windows Components" > "Windows Update" > "Windows Update for Business" > "Select when preview builds and feature updates are received".
    3. Through a direct Registry fix.

• Method #1 is the simplest if it is available.
    • Method #2 is fairly easy, but you need to make sure what options you choose, especially the "Readiness Level" (you want "Semi-Annual Channel").
    • Method #3 can be used if you get the proper .reg code.

I was working with two Win10 Pro computers, both with the latest v1903 installed. The first one did display the additional "Pause Feature Updates" setting in the "Update and Security" "Advanced options" section, the other did not.
    • So I got into GPEdit on both systems to change the appropriate values there to make sure everything was the same. I set the delay value to "zero" in both. I then rebooted.
    • I then looked at what was in the Registry at this key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings]
    • In both cases, the value for "DeferFeatureUpdatesPeriodInDays" was still the old values I had set prior to the v1903 update, in one case 60 days and the other 90 days.

So what can I believe? The GPEdit and "Update and Security" "Advanced options" "Pause Feature Updates" says zero while the Registry says something else.

JohnD

:)

johnpd, Oct 15, 2019

2. Windows 10 Pro version 1607 Updates KB3211320, KB3214628, and unidentified Feature Updates Causing numerous issues.

I was posting the issues based on a suggestion from another thread, not necessarily needing a resolution for them.

Thank you for the info on WUFB, definitely worth considering after having so many issues. I was a bit deterred from using it because of it limitations on controlling the updates. It might seem like a adequate amount of time for most, but in my case when
    you are a one person IT shop 30 and 60 days sometimes isn't long enough. But it might be a viable option; I wonder if you can repeat a pause?

Select Servicing Options: CB or CBB
    Ability to set systems on the Current Branch (CB) or Current Branch for Business (CBB).

Quality Updates
    Able to defer receiving Quality Updates:
    • Up to 30 days
    • In daily increments

Feature Updates
    Able to defer receiving Feature Updates:
    • Up to 180 days
    • In daily increments

Pause updates
    Features and Quality Updates can be paused separately.
    • Feature Updates: maximum 60 days
    • Quality Updates: maximum 35 days

Drivers
    Drivers can be selectively excluded from Windows Update for Business

Marcia Sanford, Oct 15, 2019
  3. set the updated when shut down the laptop

Hi,

Installing the updates on your device will make sure that your PC is on its maximum performance. To sort out your concern, we suggest that you pause the updates on your computer from the
    Settings. To do this, you may follow the steps below:

• Click Start > Settings > Update & security.
    • Under the Update settings section, click Advanced options.
    • Turn on the Pause Updates under the Choose when updates are installed
      section.
    • It will temporarily pause the updates on your device for 35 days.

Let us know if you need additional assistance.

Joseph Ban, Oct 15, 2019
  4. The Strange Case of the Missing Pause Feature Update Setting

strange mouse cursor pause

Hi Joleen,

In order to further diagnose the issue, I would suggest you to check the same issue with the new user account.

Try these steps to create a new user account and check if it fixes the issue. Refer to the steps below to create a new User Account:

• Go to Settings.
    • Choose Accounts and then select Other User Accounts towards the left.
    • Select Add an Account.
    • Enter a user name and hit Next.
    • Click on Finish.
    • Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    • Check if issue persists.
    Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Harkanwar Singh, Oct 15, 2019
Thema:

The Strange Case of the Missing Pause Feature Update Setting

1. The Strange Case of the Missing Pause Feature Update Setting - Similar Threads - Strange Case Missing

2. Strange case of the missing icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Strange case of the missing icons: A very odd phenomena in Windows 10 Pro Desktop... All icons at a frequently visited forum WEB site revert to placeholders. This is very recent. Three different browsers do the same, yet on a Laptop the icons remain. Restoring a Desktop PC system image from a time when...
  3. deactivating the pause feature?

deactivating the pause feature?: on or under advanced there is a feature that has a drop down window and it allows you to set the date to pause windows. I don't want to use this feature. how do I turn it off, there is no little left/right slide bar to turn it off. So I always have to default it to the next...
  4. Updates and the Pause feature

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updates and the Pause feature: Hi Why is there a pause feature for updates? I don't understand the reasoning behind that? When an update comes through I want to do the update. Thanks Pati Riley...
  5. Windows Update - Pause updates acting strangely

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update - Pause updates acting strangely: I am seeing the most bizarre problem with Windows 10, Settings/Update & Security/ Windows Update. I am on version 2004 19041.264, but I have seen this for several releases now and it has not gone away. I went to the latest that's not Fast Ring in order to see if some problem...
  6. A strange case of missing Destop toolbar in the Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    A strange case of missing Destop toolbar in the Taskbar: Greetings. After installing the latest update on one of my machines, the Desktop toolbar was found missing from the Taskbar. Adding it again doesn't seem to work as it would disappear upon rebooting. The other machines were fine. Appreciate any kind assistance to resolve this...
  7. Upgraded to Windows 10 1903: Missing pause feature update

Upgraded to Windows 10 1903: Missing pause feature update: I recently upgrade 3 machines from Windows 10 Professional 1809 to 1903. I also did a fresh install of a 4th machine with Windows 10 Professional 1903. After the upgrade/install was finished, I set all 4 machines to defer future feature updates to 120 days. After a couple...
  8. missing option for pausing windows updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    missing option for pausing windows updates: my acer aspire laptop has windows 10 installed I don't have an option under advanced options to pause windows updates for a period of time there is no slider option at all how can this be done to stop windows from always wanting to update if you don't have this function?...
  9. sets features missing ?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    sets features missing ?: i cannot enable sets features yesterday only i have installed 1809 update but i have not find sets features did they removed it? help plz[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sets-features-missing/3e61e5c0-c4b1-4b29-872b-f2802850e638
  10. 2 strange apps in Settings->Apps & features

2 strange apps in Settings->Apps & features: I am running windows 10 on my recently purchased surface pro (2017). I noticed a couple of weird apps in the list and there is no option to uninstall them. One is - ms-resource://microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps/hxoutlookintl/AppManifest_OutlookDesktop_DisplayName...