Windows 10: the "system" process is using most of my resources

Discus and support the "system" process is using most of my resources in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; it's the "system" process ntoskml.exe so I can't disable it, whenever the system is idling it does up to 100% on whatever it wants, CPU, Memory or Disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Wyll Gonron, Jan 19, 2021.

1. the "system" process is using most of my resources

it's the "system" process ntoskml.exe so I can't disable it, whenever the system is idling it does up to 100% on whatever it wants, CPU, Memory or Disk at random, and 70% is ntoskml and the remaining 30% are used my random processes or Service Hosts

besides that, when I open a program or a game, that process start using the resources, not matter if is a web browser or an older game that doesn't used anywhere near this much RAM/Disk/Etc, and when I close whatever it was, then SysMain takes all the resources for 1 mines and ntoskml is back hogging the hardware

any ideas I supposedly have a pretty decent rig, and this seems to persist even after I've reinstalled the whole OS and fully wide my HDD

:)

Wyll Gonron, Jan 19, 2021
  2. Pavan_N Win User

System and compressed memory background process persistently consuming high CPU resources

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

1. Did you make any changes to your computer prior to this issue?

2. Which anti-virus program is installed on the PC?

High CPU usage occurs for various reasons, for example: virus/malware infections, out-of-date drivers, anti-virus programs or other third-party programs, etc;

Method 1: Windows has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with system. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your System
    Maintenance.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the System Maintenance troubleshooter

Method 2: Check if the issue resolves in
    Safe Mode.

Refer this article to boot to safe mode:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab01

Steps to reduce the CPU usage.

1-Press "Ctrl," "Shift," and "Esc" on your keyboard. This brings up the task manager without any intermediary screen.

2-Click the "Processes" button on the task manager.

3-Click the "CPU" column header until the arrow next to the label points down.

4-Right-click a program you recognize that uses a high percentage of the CPU and click "End Process." Click "End Process" to reconfirm. This eases up on the CPU's load. Use this step if you're not using a process or if the process has stopped responding. Do
    not use this procedure for windows processes.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Thanks.

Pavan_N, Jan 19, 2021
  3. GNJha Win User
    Boot Process

Hi,

Please suggest me a link that can explain the boot process step by step of ...

• Windows 7,
    • Windows 8.1,
    • Windows 10,
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 and
    • Windows Server 2012 R2

With Regards

InTech

GNJha, Jan 19, 2021
  4. Thelps Win User

the "system" process is using most of my resources

TCPView shows multiple [System Process] network connections...

The list has a huge variation of IPs. I haven't noted any pattern in what IPs appear.

Could you suggest how I could identify this process or set of processes referred to as [System Process]?

Thelps, Jan 19, 2021
Thema:

the "system" process is using most of my resources

1. the "system" process is using most of my resources - Similar Threads - system process using

2. system process using CPU 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    system process using CPU 100%: while the laptop is working perfectly fine, suddenly system starts to lag and when open task manager there is a process named system hogging all the cpu and al 8cores, 16 LP are running at 100% utilization and their is no end to it, had to force restart my laptop....
  3. system process using CPU 100%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    system process using CPU 100%: while the laptop is working perfectly fine, suddenly system starts to lag and when open task manager there is a process named system hogging all the cpu and al 8cores, 16 LP are running at 100% utilization and their is no end to it, had to force restart my laptop....
  4. Process in task manager "System" using a lot of resources making the PC extremely slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Process in task manager "System" using a lot of resources making the PC extremely slow: I would honestly love to know why this is happening.Everytime I turn on my PC, it's so slow that I have to check the task manager everytime and start killing tasks that are using too many resources. "System" is one of them, but I can't kill it because it's a critical task....
  5. Process in task manager "System" using a lot of resources making the PC extremely slow

Process in task manager "System" using a lot of resources making the PC extremely slow: I would honestly love to know why this is happening.Everytime I turn on my PC, it's so slow that I have to check the task manager everytime and start killing tasks that are using too many resources. "System" is one of them, but I can't kill it because it's a critical task....
  6. system process using 30%-50% of my gpu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    system process using 30%-50% of my gpu: hello i noticed in the task manager that a process called system is taking 30% of my gpu and sometimes 50% and i wanted to know what can i do in order to fix this?specs:gpu: 6650 xt16 gigs of ramcpu: i5-13400...
  7. system process using 30%-50% of my gpu

system process using 30%-50% of my gpu: hello i noticed in the task manager that a process called system is taking 30% of my gpu and sometimes 50% and i wanted to know what can i do in order to fix this?specs:gpu: 6650 xt16 gigs of ramcpu: i5-13400...
  8. Low system resources when using Zoom

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Low system resources when using Zoom: Hi - I've been through the other threads on this, but none of the solutions worked. Any new ideas to stop this happening? thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/low-system-resources-when-using-zoom/ff5b16b4-f64a-4ef8-8e33-5f6e0586a191
  9. Why is the Windows System Idle Process using high resources?

in Windows 10 News
    Why is the Windows System Idle Process using high resources?: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]The System Idle Process is an important aspect of Windows 10, but what’s interesting about it is the fact that from time to time, it tends to use a lot of system resources. We suspect that many users who have [...] This post Why is the Windows System Idle...
  10. Process called "osrdl.exe" using most of my network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Process called "osrdl.exe" using most of my network: I can't find anything online about this, I can't access the file location because if I try it just says C:\OSRSS is not accesible. Access is denied....