Windows 10: "The system watchdog timer was triggered." - blackscreens and shutdowns

Discus and support "The system watchdog timer was triggered." - blackscreens and shutdowns in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; From time to time my laptop's screen turns black or shuts itself down randomly. This errors and more occurred before I clean installed Windows 10 two... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Äx, Apr 5, 2020.

1. ÄX
    Äx Win User

"The system watchdog timer was triggered." - blackscreens and shutdowns

From time to time my laptop's screen turns black or shuts itself down randomly. This errors and more occurred before I clean installed Windows 10 two weeks ago, too. Everything else seem to work fine now, but this keeps bothering me.

I checked the event viewer and I think the blackscreen is connected to an Driver error as it occurred similarly.

"Display driver 'amdkmdap' stopped responding and has successfully recovered" Event-ID: 4101. For that I'm searching in the AMD forum for help, but hope a clean reinstall of the drivers will fix it.

Secondly, it shuts itself down as if it had suddenly run out of power it had not and was still plugged in. Checking the event viewer revealed these messages:

Event ID: 13

Source: HAL

Task Category: None

"The system watchdog timer was triggered."

Quickly followed by:

Event ID: 41

Source: Kernel-Power

Task Category: 63

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

And:

Event ID: 142

Task Category: 173

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error is caused because the system stopped responding and the hardware watchdog triggered a system reset."

Based on what I read already, the watchdog timer is supposed to turn the computer off if it fails to respond for long enough such as by getting stuck in an infinite loop. I want to know why it's doing this, though...

I'm kind of hoping that it's just some sort of heating issue that will go away if I clean it, but the temperature monitors are saying the temperature is fine. It also doesn't seem to have any malware that I know of. I cleaned the fan and the rest of the laptop as far as I could, but there's still some dust because the laptop hasn't been cleaned for years. Could that have damaged the RAM or hard drive?

I'm feeling like it might be a hardware issue, but how can I diagnose that? Just to be clear, there was no blue screen or error message either time.

Here's a link to the minidump files: https://we.tl/t-ZT43beGpwv

And to the minidump files and the memory.dmp file togehther: https://we.tl/t-tqyw1Dvx74

I'm using a Toshiba Satellite L850-1KG with Windows 10 64bit.

:)

2. #1Pupper Win User

Exactly one week ago, my laptop froze hard. Everything on it stopped responding and I had to restart it.

Now, it did not freeze, but shut itself down as if it had suddenly run out of power (it had not and was still plugged in).

Both times, checking the event viewer revealed these messages:

Event ID: 13

Source: HAL

Task Category: None

Quickly followed by:

Event ID: 41

Task Category: (63)

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

And:

Event ID: 142

Task Category: (173)

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error is caused because the system stopped responding and the hardware watchdog triggered a system reset."

Based on what I read already, the watchdog timer is supposed to turn the computer off if it fails to respond for long enough (such as by getting stuck in an infinite loop). I want to know why it's doing this, though...

I'm kind of hoping that it's just some sort of heating issue that will go away if I clean it, but the temperature monitors are saying the temperature is fine. It also doesn't seem to have any malware that I know of. I also checked the RAM and the hard drive
    and those were fine too.

I'm feeling like it might be a hardware issue, but how can I diagnose that?

Edited to add: Just to be clear, there was no blue screen or error message either time. The first time it just froze completely and the second it shut itself down out of the blue while I was using the internet.

#1Pupper, Apr 5, 2020
  3. n4syth2 Win User
    Watchdog timer triggered with new battery...?

I have recently replaced the batteries in 2 different Acer S3-391 ultrabooks and now they BOTH power off randomly without notice. They will only power on again after connecting adapter. I checked the Event Viewer and the Error immediately preceding EVERY
    shutdown is 'The system watchdog timer was triggered'.

"The system watchdog timer was triggered." - blackscreens and shutdowns 128da2ad-33df-4c08-9af9-291e71a651b0.png
    Any ideas how I can rectify this issue?

n4syth2, Apr 5, 2020
  4. sandeepb Win User

Shutdown Timer I Made

Shutdown Timer v3.1

Features:
    • Shutdown
    • Restart
    • Logoff
    • Lock
    • Hibernate
    • Standby
    • Monitor Standby
    • Open a File
    • Open a WebPage
    • Based on Date & Time
    • CPU/Memory Utilisation
    • CPU Temperature using Core Temp
    • Networking options
    • Process Management
    • Idle Usage
    • Wakeup Timer - Wakeup from sleep!
    • Integrated Updater
    • Ability to save your settings for furture use
    • Completely Portable, You can take it on a USB if you want to!
    • 32 & 64 Bit compatible versions

"The system watchdog timer was triggered." - blackscreens and shutdowns m8z8ma.jpg

Download and information here

Feedback would be great on it. Thanks

sandeepb, Apr 5, 2020
Thema:

1. "The system watchdog timer was triggered." - blackscreens and shutdowns - Similar Threads - system watchdog timer

2. The system watchdog timer was triggered.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The system watchdog timer was triggered.: I have the following issue even after reinstalled win11 and all the drivers. My system keep crashing and restarting on his own.Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">- <System> <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-HAL"...
  3. The system watchdog timer was triggered.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The system watchdog timer was triggered.: I have the following issue even after reinstalled win11 and all the drivers. My system keep crashing and restarting on his own.Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">- <System> <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-HAL"...
  4. The system watchdog timer was triggered.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The system watchdog timer was triggered.: Source: HALEvent ID: 13My system shows three of these errors in the last 24 hours. Any idea for a fix?CPU: 7800X3DGPU: 7900XTXMotherboard: ASUS X670E - PRO WIFIRAM: DDR5-6000 CL36...
  5. The system watchdog timer was triggered.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The system watchdog timer was triggered.: Source: HALEvent ID: 13My system shows three of these errors in the last 24 hours. Any idea for a fix?CPU: 7800X3DGPU: 7900XTXMotherboard: ASUS X670E - PRO WIFIRAM: DDR5-6000 CL36...
  6. The system watchdog timer was triggered.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Shutdown timer feature?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shutdown timer feature?: Is there a way to make my Windows 10 PC shut down in a few hours? I use it to stream my Plex to my TV when I go to bed. But I don't want it to stay on all night. Is there a shutdown timer feature somewhere? submitted by /u/teutonicnight99 [link] [comments]...
  8. Windows 10 1803 Hardware Watchdog Triggered a System Reset

Windows 10 1803 Hardware Watchdog Triggered a System Reset: OK, I'm bringing this here because apparently I am no longer able to hold off the "upgrade" to Windows 10 (Pro) 1803. I have tried multiple times in the past to "upgrade" to 1803 from 1709 and every single time I do, the system is seriously unstable, locks up, and then the...
  9. Issue Shutdown - Bluetooth trigger that

Issue Shutdown - Bluetooth trigger that: The problem is when i turn off my Bluetooth then my computer shutdown. That a issue that makes me lose time. Please help me. Any comment will be appreciated....
  10. What is the Intel Watchdog Timer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What is the Intel Watchdog Timer: My ESET Antivirus keeps telling to install Intel Watchdog Timer. I have latest Intel chipset drivers installed from ASUS for my Prime H270 Plus motherboard, but not sure if this timer thing is needed or I can disregard the alert from ESET. Running an i3-7100 CPU, and Windows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. system watchdog timer was triggered

2. hp watchdog timer was triggered

3. nu vot

4. system watchdog timer was triggered windows 10,
  5. the system watchdog timer was triggered,
  6. the system wathdog timer was triggered