Windows 10: the TB3 stopped detecting the monitor

Discus and support the TB3 stopped detecting the monitor in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a gaming laptop and I got a new gaming monitor 165hz and g-sync capable.I have recently bought a Thunderbolt 3 to DisplayPort adapter... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by drag400, Jan 30, 2020.

1. drag400 Win User

the TB3 stopped detecting the monitor

I have a gaming laptop and I got a new gaming monitor 165hz and g-sync capable.I have recently bought a Thunderbolt 3 to DisplayPort adapter LAPTOP<--TB3---DisplayPort 1.4-->Monitor, I plugged everything and turned on the laptop and the monitor everything was running fine, I was checking the options of the monitor from the builtin nob and I turned it off, turned the monitor back on, it show me a notification saying " Display connection might be limited" , plugged unplugged to the TB3, same notification. and when I click on it, it takes me a useless page, tried everything in it. and with some digging of my own, noticed that the device is being detected as a billboard device when connected.​

luckily my laptop comes with tb3 and usb-c plug from the other side, so I switched to the other side, the monitor working fine, but I'm planning to use it on 2 monitors.

now my question is, how can I make my TB3 recognize the monitor as monitor again not billboard.

Windows 10 home version 1809 build 17763.973

laptop : Asus Mothership GZ700

Monitor : Gigabyte Aorus FI27Q-P

the Cable used : Club3D The USB Type-C to DisplayPort 1.4

:)

drag400, Jan 30, 2020

2. Windows 10 stopped detecting 2nd monitor

I've restarted the computer (several times), and it's not showing any signs of detecting the 2nd monitor.

Ever since it stopped working, there's only '1' Display option; clicking 'Detect' in Multiple displays results in the message
    "Didn't detect another display"; the Device Manager only lists one monitor (screenshot below); and it has stopped allowing me to select other projection modes unless I connect to the 2nd monitor wirelessly.

I'm using an HDMI cable for the 2nd monitor, and have tried both HDMI ports on the monitor unsuccessfully. The monitor models are Dell E2414H and LG 24J4840.

the TB3 stopped detecting the monitor [​IMG]

Save

ChayaCooper, Jan 30, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Windows 10 stopped detecting ThinkVision M14 monitor

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are unable to use ThinkVision M14 monitor on your computer. I’ll help you with the issue.

However, please let us know:

• Are you aware of any changes made to the computer recently?
    • What is the make and model of the computer that you are using?

As you have mentioned that you are able to use the monitor with a different computer, I suspect it could be an issue with the drivers on the computer. I would suggest you to check for hidden drivers on the computer and try to update them. Refer the
    steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows Logo key + X, and select
      Device Manager.
    2. Click on View and select
      Show hidden devices
    3. Expand Monitors and check if there is any
      hidden device.
    4. If there is any hidden device, right click on it and select
      Update Driver.

You can also install
    ThinkVision M14 Monitor Driver
    and see if that makes any difference.

Since you are using a USB-C adapter, I suggest you to refer the article on

Fix USB-C problems

You may also try updating the Chipset drivers from the computer manufacturer’s website and then check if the Monitor is detected.

Let us know the results.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jan 30, 2020
  4. the TB3 stopped detecting the monitor

Windows 10 stopped detecting 2nd monitor

Hello Chaya,

When 1 and 2 are posted under the Display option, it means that the device is detecting a video input. Concerns related to signal input could be associated with the driver or the hardware component of your device. To help us determine the appropriate troubleshooting
    steps that can resolve your concern, we would like to ask the following questions:

• Do you see your monitors under Display settings? To check, right-click on the blank area on your desktop and select Display settings.
    • What projection option did you choose for your monitors? To check, press Windows + P on your keyboard.
    • What is the make and model of your device?
    • How are the monitors connected to your device? Examples of connections are VGA, HDMI, and DVI.

In the meantime, you can follow these steps on how to configure your other monitor on Windows 10. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Check the back or the side of your device to see if it has any of the connectors below.

the TB3 stopped detecting the monitor [​IMG]

• Connect the secondary monitor to your laptop via VGA,
      DVI or HDMI port.
    • Configure display settings. Right-click on the blank area of the desktop and choose
      Display settings.
    • Click Identify to show numbers on corresponding displays (1 is the primary).
    • Click the Multiple display drop-down list, and then select
      Extend these displays.
    • Once done, restart your device to apply the changes and check if the issue persists.

Note: If you cannot see the additional monitor(s) listed. Click
    Detect. If it does not work, try restarting your computer and do the steps of switch between display modes by pressing
    Windows key + P key on your keyboard.

Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Zedrick Del, Jan 30, 2020
Thema:

the TB3 stopped detecting the monitor

1. the TB3 stopped detecting the monitor - Similar Threads - TB3 stopped detecting

2. Windows 10 stops detecting 2nd monitor.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 stops detecting 2nd monitor.: Windows 10 will stop detecting my 2nd monitor seemingly at random, after which the only way to temporarily fix it is to restart my computer. After resetting, I'm able to use my monitor again, but only until the next time this happens, be it for a few hours or a few days, but...
  3. Windows 10 stops detecting 2nd monitor.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 stops detecting 2nd monitor.: Windows 10 will stop detecting my 2nd monitor seemingly at random, after which the only way to temporarily fix it is to restart my computer. After resetting, I'm able to use my monitor again, but only until the next time this happens, be it for a few hours or a few days, but...
  4. Windows 10 stops detecting 2nd monitor.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Monitor Detection

Monitor Detection: Hi I plugged in a second monitor but in the display settings it says "Didn t detect another display, though I m actually watching my laptop screen in the second monitor https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/monitor-detection/4a103eb2-66f2-4f2b-9649-78fba320d684
  6. Monitor not Detected

Monitor not Detected: My monitor is not being detected by my laptop ThinkPad Carbon X1 Seems this happened after the MAJOR Windows update a few days ago/ I have tried everything including uninstalling the driver, restoring to before update which is impossible now. Please Help!...
  7. Monitor detection?

Monitor detection?: Hello, After the last big update about 3 weeks ago, when I start my system it fails to detect my second monitor. I have checked and secured all the cable connections. It does not matter if the monitor is on or off when I start the system, it is not detected. When I...
  8. Windows 10 stopped detecting ThinkVision M14 monitor

Windows 10 stopped detecting ThinkVision M14 monitor: I have been using a ThinkVision M14 monitor with a USB-C adapter for some time, but it suddenly stopped working a few days ago. It is not detected by Windows 10 64 bit. The monitor works fine with a different computer and it will turn out with external power. I cannot see...
  9. monitor not detected

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    monitor not detected: In Windows 7, I was using extended display: primary=notebook screen secondary=external monitor Ater installing Windows 10, the primary screen is not detected by the system; only the external monitor works. In "System > Display" it says "didn't detect another...
  10. Monitor not detected

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitor not detected: I just updated a Gateway netbook from windows 7 to 10. I can use my Samsung TV that is connected with HDMI. However, I can't increase the resolution because my pc does not detect it and acts like the laptop screen is the only display. I used to get full resolution with...