Windows 10: The the file or directory is not a reparse point

Discus and support The the file or directory is not a reparse point in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; HI When i use to open my Power point,Excel,Word it show the file or directory is not a reparse point please try to help out of me as soon as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ETERNITY_111, Aug 4, 2020.

1. The the file or directory is not a reparse point

HI

When i use to open my Power point,Excel,Word it show the file or directory is not a reparse point

please try to help out of me as soon as possible.

Your earlier response will be highly appreciated

:)

ETERNITY_111, Aug 4, 2020

2. File History and reparse points.

It turns out that File History hasn't been keeping a history of my important files. Ever. The error events say that the various folders in my home directory are reparse points. For example, it complains that C:\Users\whn\Documents is a reparse point.
    If I open that file's properties, it says that it is a folder, however there is a tab labeled Location which says "Files in the Documents folder are stored in the target location below." In the location below it says that the files are stored at "C:\Users\whn\Documents".
    That is to say, the reparse point is a folder that is stored where the reparse point is. ??

This can't be good. And it can't be normal, else File History would not be working for anybody. Any suggestions on how to fix it? I guess I could, for each of Desktop, Documents, etc., move the contents to a temp dir, delete the self-referential
    link, the rename the temp dir back to Desktop, Documents, etc... But that doesn't sound good.

So, I created a new user account, signed in, and discovered that it has the same pattern as my main account (desktop and documents are reparse points that refer to themselves). Which means it is normal for this version of Windows and that File History shouldn't
    be working for anyone anywhere. How can that be?

A couple of points: This is Windows 10 Pro version 1803. This machine is four years old and was originally a Windows 8 machine that got the free upgrade to 10.

I hope you can help, thanks!

WilliamNicholls1, Aug 4, 2020
  3. File history not working. Directory was not backed up because it is a reparse point:

I was getting errors like the ones below.

Event ID: 202 Unusual condition was encountered during scanning user libraries for changes and performing backup of modified files for configuration

Event ID: 106 Directory was not backed up because it is a reparse point: If you want it to be protected, remove the reparse point.

As usual no answers here just stupid random time wasting solutions many involving reinstalling your operating system (lol).

Anyhow what I did was closed down my browsers and other running stuff, disconnected my backup drive and reconnected

it again, they ran the backup (file history) and it worked fine.

So......... worth trying that isn't it.

Merry Xmas.

brensmith9911, Aug 4, 2020
  4. The the file or directory is not a reparse point

How to protect reparse points ignored in File History backups

Hi
    It appears that the FH default catalog does not include <username>\AppData - I cannot imagine why, as its contents are obviously needed. My difficulties, mainly in understanding I think, started after adding AppData to the catalog:

1. I received a batch of Event Log Warnings (ID 106) regarding directories not backed up due to reparse points. An actual example of one Event Properties window reads in part:

"Directory was not backed up because it is a reparse point:"
      "C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.IE5"
      "If you want it to be protected, remove the reparse point."

The wording of this is ambiguous. I think the first line is trying to say that the last element in the pathname (Content.IE5) is a reparse point, not a directory, and FH does not back up reparse points. Is that correct?

In the third line, "If you want "it" to be protected...", what does "it" refer to, a directory not backed up or the reparse point? Contrary to the first line, they cannot both be the same thing. Also, what does "protected" mean? Neither a reparse point nor a directory will be protected from anything if it is removed either from the above pathname on the hard drive (as if you would!) or from the FH catalog. Removal from the catalogue would put a stop to the Warning Event though, I guess.
    2. I have seen posts in other forums in which people were confused by the above message and often asked how to remove the reparse point, but I have never seen a very helpful response: most launch into an explanation of what a reparse point is, rather than how to protect it.
    3. In this computer I have verified, by using dir /AL /S, that all users' reparse point destinations remain within the users' directory structure, so the existing redirected data should be backed up by FH, which is what would be expected, and which I hope holds true in general. (In the above example, the Content.IE5 reparse point redirects to \IE, a subdirectory of \INetCache which also contains the reparse point.)
    4. My problem is how to ensure reparse points can be restored if they are damaged by a disk crash, etc. I understand, but have not yet verified, that Windows (7) Backup also does not backup reparse points, but I have established that Windows System Image does. However, that seems like using a sledge hammer to drive a tack.
    5. Only recently I have come across Mklink which I believe to be a Windows program for creating reparse points. I am thinking of setting up a scheduled task to run regularly in order to keep a current record of reparse point definitions. Starting in the C:\Users folder, I would just run the script:
      dir C:\Users /AL /S > K:Junction.txt where K: is my external backup drive. Effectively this would give me a backup of reparse point definitions, and then I could use Mklink to recreate them if ever needed.
    6. Before I proceed any further I would welcome input from anyone who knows a better way of doing this, or would like to set me straight on my understanding of File History and reparse points. Many thanks.

Old Novice, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

The the file or directory is not a reparse point

1. The the file or directory is not a reparse point - Similar Threads - file directory reparse

2. "Directory was not backed up because it is a reparse point:" errors using Windows File History

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Directory was not backed up because it is a reparse point:" errors using Windows File History: I keep getting the "Directory was not backed up because it is a reparse point:" error from Windows File History and it stops backing up. I originally set it up about 2 weeks ago and it ran fine for several days. Then I noticed it stopped backing anything up. When I checked...
  3. "Directory was not backed up because it is a reparse point:" errors using Windows File History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Directory was not backed up because it is a reparse point:" errors using Windows File History: I keep getting the "Directory was not backed up because it is a reparse point:" error from Windows File History and it stops backing up. I originally set it up about 2 weeks ago and it ran fine for several days. Then I noticed it stopped backing anything up. When I checked...
  4. "Directory was not backed up because it is a reparse point:" errors using Windows File History

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 [ Data Migrations ] - USMT Found Reparse Point but Reparse Points are not allowed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 [ Data Migrations ] - USMT Found Reparse Point but Reparse Points are not allowed: Large company, laptop upgrades done locally over the network via USMT. On average, every 2 weeks, a laptop running the data backup processes, looks as though its frozen/stopped without any visual indicators that somethings wrong, no activity on the external HD backup drive,...
  6. Windows 10 [ Data Migrations ] - USMT Found Reparse Point but Reparse Points are not allowed

Windows 10 [ Data Migrations ] - USMT Found Reparse Point but Reparse Points are not allowed: Large company, laptop upgrades done locally over the network via USMT. On average, every 2 weeks, a laptop running the data backup processes, looks as though its frozen/stopped without any visual indicators that somethings wrong, no activity on the external HD backup drive,...
  7. Reparse points aka Junctions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reparse points aka Junctions: File History backup fails with errors related to Reparse points.How can I delete all reparse points on my disc??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reparse-points-aka-junctions/7db35f2d-fd3d-421e-b587-9c5da8a03de9
  8. Reparse points aka Junctions

Reparse points aka Junctions: File History backup fails with errors related to Reparse points.How can I delete all reparse points on my disc??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reparse-points-aka-junctions/7db35f2d-fd3d-421e-b587-9c5da8a03de9
  9. Reparse points aka Junctions

10. File history not working. Directory was not backed up because it is a reparse point:

File history not working. Directory was not backed up because it is a reparse point:: I was getting errors like the ones below. Event ID: 202 Unusual condition was encountered during scanning user libraries for changes and performing backup of modified files for configuration Event ID: 106 Directory was not backed up because it is a reparse...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 the file directory is not reparase point